GM starter upgrade: direct drive -> gear reduction

Backstory: last week, out of the blue, my Reatta failed to crank following a short cruise. The starter solenoid would engage the flywheel, however the motor would not spin. Luckily, the failure occurred in a friend's driveway and not a random parking lot.

Being the car nerd I am, I took the opportunity and upgraded to a gear reduction starter. Not only do the old direct-drive starters sound anemic, they weigh a ton and draw a large amount of current in relation to their output.

I found a reman. starter on RA for $36 and change on close-out, no core charge. With shipping and tax, I paid less than $50. Installation was a breeze, the new unit bolted right in and functioned flawlessly. As a bonus: the cranking sound is MUCH improved.

Nice. I swapped out the direct drive starter on my old squarebody with a newer gear drive. It has more powerful starting but now it sounds wimpy.

I replaced the original Lucas starter on my TR6 with a modern, Denso based gear reduction starter, mainly because the local starter/generator repair shop is no longer.... I have nothing but positive things to say about the new starter, except maybe the modern sound of the engine cranking over twice as fast. That said, as soon as get the original rebuilt, it will go back on...because I am crazy that way.

Back