Starter in 2012 Volvo Penta 6.7L engine

Went to my boat today to do some work. While doing the work (not engine related work), I put the starting battery on a Battery Minder at the 8 amp setting for 2 hours. Mainly because I had not used the boat in about two months due to vacation and then Covid19.

Turned the key to start and sounded like the starter was turning but not engaging the engine. Turned key off and back to start, same thing. Tried it a 3rd time and it started. The engine did not crank slow before it started.

So the Bendix drive needs to be replaced? I have not pulled to starter to look at anything.

But better to put it on my list than wait until next summer.

On the other hand this was a once occurrence after the boat had been sitting for 2 months.

From the picture below, does the starter have a Bendix drive to spin the gear up or an arm part of the starter solenoid pushes the gear up?

How can they make a starter for $70?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008-175131.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008-175131.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Our Chaparral will do the same thing after sitting. A gentle tap on the casing near the drive may help get you some more life out of the starter.

No pic attached, but a quick search shows some pre-engaged type starters for that engine...a quality marine specific one is a good upgrade.....and I would not use a "$70 starter" on any boat I would be on, but that is just me.

Our Chaparral will do the same thing after sitting. A gentle tap on the casing near the drive may help get you some more life out of the starter.

No pic attached, but a quick search shows some pre-engaged type starters for that engine...a quality marine specific one is a good upgrade.....and I would not use a "$70 starter" on any boat I would be on, but that is just me.
Ok screenshot attached. Forgot.

I would not use a $70 starter in my Chaparral but how can they even make a starter for $70.

Went to my boat today to do some work. While doing the work (not engine related work), I put the starting battery on a Battery Minder at the 8 amp setting for 2 hours. Mainly because I had not used the boat in about two months due to vacation and then Covid19.

Turned the key to start and sounded like the starter was turning but not engaging the engine. Turned key off and back to start, same thing. Tried it a 3rd time and it started. The engine did not crank slow before it started.

So the Bendix drive needs to be replaced? I have not pulled to starter to look at anything.

But better to put it on my list than wait until next summer.

On the other hand this was a once occurrence after the boat had been sitting for 2 months.

From the picture below, does the starter have a Bendix drive to spin the gear up or an arm part of the starter solenoid pushes the gear up?

How can they make a starter for $70?

like anything on a boat... and I'm guessing you are in a salt water environment, it is subject to corrosion from the elements.
I doubt anything is wrong with the starter that taking it apart and cleaning the connections and such would not cure. the solenoid may or may not be field serviceable, and it has a contact disc in it behind the connection studs... so the point of the solenoid on this type of starter motor is to pull the starter gear into the flywheel... it has a lever in the back that moves the gear to contact the flywheel when you push the starter button..

like anything on a boat... and I'm guessing you are in a salt water environment, it is subject to corrosion from the elements.
I doubt anything is wrong with the starter that taking it apart and cleaning the connections and such would not cure. the solenoid may or may not be field serviceable, and it has a contact disc in it behind the connection studs... so the point of the solenoid on this type of starter motor is to pull the starter gear into the flywheel... it has a lever in the back that moves the gear to contact the flywheel when you push the starter button..
So are you saying the solenoid should be replaced?

While the boat has been in salt water it spends most of its time on a work rack with me working on it. Not in any water.

Use a starter purpose built and rated for marine engines. Too many fires have started by starters on inboards. Disassembling the old starter is likely to degrade the spark arresting features. Get a new or reman unit. Not worth the gamble…

ARCO marine starters are good quality but not cheap. I’d try removing the starter you have & lubing the starter pinion gear with a good marine grease like Evinrude triple guard or Lucas Marine grease….

So are you saying the solenoid should be replaced?

While the boat has been in salt water it spends most of its time on a work rack with me working on it. Not in any water.
sorry to reply so late but some solenoids can be disassembled and cleaned.. depends on brand.

Back