GM Oil Life Monitor - OCI With Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
You guys really take this stuff seriously.

So when a poster comes and asks a question, we aren't supposed to give a serious answer ?

Specious reasoning is helpful ?

Belittling those who trust the "gadgets" that the OEMS install to help consumers is similarly helpful ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
You guys really take this stuff seriously.

So when a poster comes and asks a question, we aren't supposed to give a serious answer ?

Specious reasoning is helpful ?

Belittling those who trust the "gadgets" that the OEMS install to help consumers is similarly helpful ?

Belittling? Not the OP, but the silly gadgets cars have. I guess young engineers have to have something to do.
21.gif
I plan to ignore the OLM gadget in my 2017 Fusion, and perhaps my 39 year 10K OCI run will continue. After all, 10K OCIs are conservative these days for many.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
My guess it is from some industrial/commercial diesel program. These engines have huge sump capacities, but run a long time between changes, so oxidation can be an issue.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/77/gm's-oil-life-system-improves-timing-of-oil-change was the exact source.
This is on normal passenger cars and light pickup trucks, GM's OLM, some earlier work.
They have been evolving and improving this system for years, and it basically works fine.

PIN, which is the buildup of sludge and carbon particles in the oil, is really the end-game.
All the other stuff graphed are the things delaying the onset of PIN.
Think of PIN as the disease, and the TAN, TBN, and DSC lines in the plot as the fading medicine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Many folks here persist in their belief that somehow all engines are the same. That would seem somewhat naïve to many.

Bingo, well said! All driving conditions aren't the same either. Following blanket statements can get people in trouble. EG: A good synthetic oil can go 10K miles. There is no way on God's green earth any of my vehicles can do 10K OCIs, good synthetic oil or not. UOAs have proven it to me.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Many folks here persist in their belief that somehow all engines are the same. That would seem somewhat naïve to many.

Bingo, well said! All driving conditions aren't the same either. Following blanket statements can get people in trouble. EG: A good synthetic oil can go 10K miles. There is no way on God's green earth any of my vehicles can do 10K OCIs, good synthetic oil or not. UOAs have proven it to me.

If you will notice I never said that 10K OCIs were for every engine in every vehicle. I only said 10K has worked great for me in every engine I have owned in the last 39 years. Lecture somebody else with more accurate info. JMHO.
spankme2.gif
Re-read all my post in this thread and you will see that I never said what others should do.

Last edited:
Nope, you did not. But you persist in informing everyone that 10k OCI's are adequate for anyone's vehicles.

And that is patently false. Spew your helpful advice less profusely as others may take it seriously!

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
The link below authored by GM engineer, Bbobynski, on this topic is very informative GM_OLM
Here's another link that warns about OLM warranty compliance, i.e. fine print. OLM_Driving magazine

I just got a 2018 Equinox, so I'll be looking in the warranty booklet for this (could just be a Canadian GM thing....):
"For example, with OLM-equipped General Motors products you are required to have the engine oil condition and OLM percentage remaining inspected by a qualified technician every 12,000 km regardless of whether or not the indicator light has come on. It’s then up to your dealership to determine whether or not to recommend changing the oil or let you drive some more. If a private garage or do-it-yourselfer makes this determination it may not be good enough for the General to open up the warranty wallet in case of an engine failure." -- OLM_Driving magazine

Last edited:
Nope, you did not. But you persist in informing everyone that 10k OCI's are adequate for anyone's vehicles.

And that is patently false. Spew your helpful advice less profusely as others may take it seriously!

You are mistaken. I have never said that. I have said on many occasions that 10K is my normal, but not
09.gif
everyone's. This is BITOG and I will post as I see fit as long as I stay within the guideline of BITOG. Spew somewhere else.
24.gif

Last edited:

If you will notice I never said that 10K OCIs were for every engine in every vehicle. I only said 10K has worked great for me in every engine I have owned in the last 39 years. Lecture somebody else with more accurate info. JMHO.
spankme2.gif
Re-read all my post in this thread and you will see that I never said what others should do.

Nothing against you. I was just giving Steve kudos for bringing up a good point, and warning new/newer members against blanket type statements, or statements that are often repeated. A 10K OCI for you is perfect, for me it would put my engine in the recycle bin, or in for a costly rebuild long before it would be due for one.

spankme2.gif

Nothing against you. I was just giving Steve kudos for bringing up a good point, and warning new/newer members against blanket type statements, or statements that are often repeated. A 10K OCI for you is perfect, for me it would put my engine in the recycle bin, or in for a costly rebuild long before it would be due for one.

And I agree with you. I only state my experience which is extensive. Of course I was targeted for my dis-like of gadgets trying to tell me when to change oil. If y'all like em, that's fine. In 1978 I started doing 10K OCI's and you should have heard the crazies telling me 10K would ruin my engine. Actually, I still hear that today, but I have never had an engine show sign's of wear doin my thing. When I sell my rides I have friends that want first rights to my vehicles, because they all know how well they run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The link below authored by GM engineer, Bbobynski, on this topic is very informative GM_OLM
Here's another link that warns about OLM warranty compliance, i.e. fine print. OLM_Driving magazine

I just got a 2018 Equinox, so I'll be looking in the warranty booklet for this (could just be a Canadian GM thing....):
"For example, with OLM-equipped General Motors products you are required to have the engine oil condition and OLM percentage remaining inspected by a qualified technician every 12,000 km regardless of whether or not the indicator light has come on. It’s then up to your dealership to determine whether or not to recommend changing the oil or let you drive some more. If a private garage or do-it-yourselfer makes this determination it may not be good enough for the General to open up the warranty wallet in case of an engine failure." -- OLM_Driving magazine

Probably not just a CDN thing although it wouldn't surprise me given many car makers warranties conveniently forget metric conversion when they cross the border. For the DIY'ers it might be wise to give yourself a mileage/OLM buffer.

Probably not just a CDN thing although it wouldn't surprise me given many car makers warranties conveniently forget metric conversion when they cross the border. For the DIY'ers it might be wise to give yourself a mileage/OLM buffer.
It's not in my warranty papers or Owners Manual. I don't know where they think anything like this is required (proof at dealership periodically of oil changes). I do know that OnStar will send the OLM status, among other things like OBDII status, to GM, and then they email me status reports. Its not actually proof oil changes were done, so I still have to keep receipts of oil changes I guess.

There was another thread a while back here, and many with lots of experience at dealerships said they don't question oil changes unless the oil is at a low level and/or there is a lot of sludge or oxidation visible indicating neglect.

Ok Cruze just ran out of percentage at 7900 miles ... it was down 1/2 quart (1st time ever at 92k) ... so topped off and will run a bit longer. (M1 EP) ...

It's not in my warranty papers or Owners Manual. I don't know where they think anything like this is required (proof at dealership periodically of oil changes). I do know that OnStar will send the OLM status, among other things like OBDII status, to GM, and then they email me status reports. Its not actually proof oil changes were done, so I still have to keep receipts of oil changes I guess.

There was another thread a while back here, and many with lots of experience at dealerships said they don't question oil changes unless the oil is at a low level and/or there is a lot of sludge or oxidation visible indicating neglect.

You're probably right and the article was a little over reactionary. I pulled all relevant info on this from a recent Chevy Equinox OM and there is nothing specific claiming unequivocal denial of warranty if these conditions aren't met. I guess it comes down to reasonable and GM protecting itself from the "dingbats" out there. However, GM has put a few cya qualifiers in there - industry pro forma? - that would be wise for DIY'ers to follow. If it was my vehicle I would change my oil at intervals no more than 12,000 km along with one photo displaying the current OLM, oil receipt and that day's newspaper along with another photo of same after reset. To me that's reasonable and should comply with any warranty issues.

I don't know where they think anything like this is required (proof at dealership periodically of oil changes).
You're probably right and the article was a little over reactionary. I pulled all relevant info on this from a recent Chevy Equinox OM and there is nothing specific claiming unequivocal denial of warranty if these conditions aren't met. I guess it comes down to reasonable and GM protecting itself from the "dingbats" out there. However, GM has put a few cya qualifiers in there - industry pro forma? - that would be wise for DIY'ers to follow. If it was my vehicle I would change my oil at intervals no more than 12,000 km along with one photo displaying the current OLM, oil receipt and that day's newspaper along with another photo of same after reset. To me that's reasonable and should comply with any warranty issues.

I suppose GM could accuse an owner with a failed engine of neglecting oil changes or using the wrong spec (non-dexos1 gen2) oil if they don't visit a GM dealership once a year for a 'check'. I like your documentation method. I will take a short video of me actually pouring the Right Stuff in, and pan over a newspaper front page, the VIN number, the license plate, and, in one take, start pouring in the oil with it's label out. I'd need to tape my phone to a shoebox as a stable mount I can place on top of the battery while pouring. OCI OCD.... right?...
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back