GL4 and/or GL5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for reply.
Since i can't find gl-4 only fluid in my country, can i order it online? (US shipping is OK for me)
Can you recommend any site? Or should i stick with ebay?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NICAT
Can you please tell me if i can use 85W-90 instead of 75w-90 ?
i couldn't found any oil with GL-4 alone except 85w-90.
For my gearbox 75w-90 is recomended.
Regards

That really comes down to cold weather operation. How cold in winter, for how long? 85w is recommended down to -10C/-15F, 75w down to much lower. If you don’t need the cold weather protection, you would actually be better off with an 85w-90.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.
Since i can't find gl-4 only fluid in my country, can i order it online? (US shipping is OK for me)
Can you recommend any site? Or should i stick with ebay?
smile.gif

You can also use GL5 fluid IF it claims that is yellow metal safe!

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Can you please tell me if i can use 85W-90 instead of 75w-90 ?
i couldn't found any oil with GL-4 alone except 85w-90.
For my gearbox 75w-90 is recomended.
Regards

That really comes down to cold weather operation. How cold in winter, for how long? 85w is recommended down to -10C/-15F, 75w down to much lower. If you don’t need the cold weather protection, you would actually be better off with an 85w-90.
Spot on, Oro_O.
It makes perfect sense for OP to use an easily available 85W90 grade (and probably at far lower cost) as long as ambient temperature is above -12*C during first moving, never mind if Azerbaijan winter could dip below -12*C at times.
Higher MOFT from an 85W90 provides stronger components wear protection.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Spot on, Oro_O.
It makes perfect sense for OP to use an easily available 85W90 grade (and probably at far lower cost) as long as ambient temperature is above -12*C during first moving, never mind if Azerbaijan winter could dip below -12*C at times.
Higher MOFT from an 85W90 provides stronger components wear protection.

Hi Sir. I am currently using Favorit Gear GL-4 SAE 80W-90 (3$/L. I coudln't find any other GL-4
smile.gif
) (When i search for the oil name at google, i can't find any information about the product itself. Actually i can not even find the product itself on the internet. Possibly it is the worst quality oil.)
in the morning it shifts even harder. Ambient temperature is 15 C.

So i am worried that, if 80W90 has shifting problem during the cold operation, then 85W-90 would also have such problem. Unless current problem is related to oil quality, rather than the viscosity
smile.gif

Anyway, i will give a try to Liqui-Moly. Let us see what happens.

I have found Redline MT90 from Russia. Will be buying from there if can't find anything suitable here

Last edited:
you can check Redlines web site or call them toll free + talk to a REAL person about REAL synthetic lubes!!!

Hi Sir. I am currently using Favorit Gear GL-4 SAE 80W-90 (3$/L. I coudln't find any other GL-4
smile.gif
) (When i search for the oil name at google, i can't find any information about the product itself. Actually i can not even find the product itself on the internet. Possibly it is the worst quality oil.)
in the morning it shifts even harder. Ambient temperature is 15 C.

So i am worried that, if 80W90 has shifting problem during the cold operation, then 85W-90 would also have such problem. Unless current problem is related to oil quality, rather than the viscosity
smile.gif

The harder morning shift is likely viscosity related which might aggravate further with a thicker 85W90 with higher KV@40*C.

Hi.
Today i have found Ravenol 75W-80 GL-4. Would it be too thin and cause problem ?
Or can i mix Ravenol 75W-80 with Liqui Moly 85W-90 GL 4 ?
smile.gif

In your case where you can not get proper MT fluid....my approach would be that I would try Ravenol first (as a standalone fluid)....and after that if it would be too thin for your transmission I will proceed with mixing

You said you can get Motul oil. I would give the 75W90 oil a try before using something thinner, which might not be good for the differential bearings. I would also try not to mix some gear oil with different additive packs...

If I'm understanding correctly, you want an oil that will give you good and smooth gear changes. Small list of what I tried and approved in my cars (some call for 75W90 GL4 too) :

Motul Motylgear 75W90 (or the Gear 300, even better but more expensive)
Castrol Syntrans Multivehivle
Castrol Syntrax Universal
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle

There are also some nice Elf/Total 75W90 oil that are GL4/GL4+

Can't you get any of these? I don't know about the Ravenol and Fuchs oil, but I know they have some equivalents. Igol, Yacco and Selenia/Petronas also produce some equivalent oils. Last resort, Opel branded oils are generally cheap, maybe just go to the dealer ? Sometimes it isn't a stupid option. Or a Mitsubishi dealer, they have a Dia Queen 75W90 GL4.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
You said you can get Motul oil. I would give the 75W90 oil a try before using something thinner, which might not be good for the differential bearings. I would also try not to mix some gear oil with different additive packs...

If I'm understanding correctly, you want an oil that will give you good and smooth gear changes. Small list of what I tried and approved in my cars (some call for 75W90 GL4 too) :

Motul Motylgear 75W90 (or the Gear 300, even better but more expensive)
Castrol Syntrans Multivehivle
Castrol Syntrax Universal
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle

There are also some nice Elf/Total 75W90 oil that are GL4/GL4+

Can't you get any of these? I don't know about the Ravenol and Fuchs oil, but I know they have some equivalents. Igol, Yacco and Selenia/Petronas also produce some equivalent oils. Last resort, Opel branded oils are generally cheap, maybe just go to the dealer ? Sometimes it isn't a stupid option. Or a Mitsubishi dealer, they have a Dia Queen 75W90 GL4.

Yes. You are definitely right sir.
I am going to buy Motul Gear 300. The price is reasonable for me.
Regards.

Gear 300 actually gave me the best cold shifting in my car that calls for GL4/GL5 oil, it also managed to silent the pretty worn out differential. If the price isn’t too high, go for it!
Also pay attention to the warm shifting smoothness, which will tell if your car « likes » this oil or not.

My second favorite is the Castrol Syntrans Transaxle (a GL4+ oil), but they recently changed the formula and I haven’t tried the new one.

In my Mitsubishi (Getrag) gearboxes that call for GL4 oil, I also noticed the quality of the shifting decreases very quickly over time with GL4 only oil, maybe a matter of shearing ? I don’t know.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Gear 300 actually gave me the best cold shifting in my car that calls for GL4/GL5 oil, it also managed to silent the pretty worn out differential. If the price isn’t too high, go for it!
Also pay attention to the warm shifting smoothness, which will tell if your car « likes » this oil or not.

My second favorite is the Castrol Syntrans Transaxle (a GL4+ oil), but they recently changed the formula and I haven’t tried the new one.

In my Mitsubishi (Getrag) gearboxes that call for GL4 oil, I also noticed the quality of the shifting decreases very quickly over time with GL4 only oil, maybe a matter of shearing ? I don’t know.

Hi Sir,
I bought Motul Gear 300, I feel the difference. It is better for now. Since i do not know how the best gearshifting feels like, i can't say how mine is. But it is definitely Ok.
By the way, are GL4 Only oils more vulnerable to shearing than GL4/GL5 Dual rated oils?
REgards

Last edited:
I really don’t know. Maybe it’s because of the intended use of GL4 vs GL5...I don’t know.

Transaxle are always a matter of compromise, you have the synchronizers that are generally happier with a lighter oil GL3 (obsolete)/GL4, and the differential gears that need some extreme pressure additives...maybe that’s the reason for the GL4+ oils? I’ve always been interested in oils for transaxles, but found little information.

The Gear 300 has a very low pour point, they say it’s practically unshearable...great oil
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back