Getting the A3 timing chain done

The timing chain area on the 11a3 fwd.
IMG_0669.jpeg

He said he has the device to support the engine but don’t know what else,he did install a spec clutch years back

You need the special tools for holding the crankshaft chain sprocket at the very least, it’s a kind of mesh design that only sits one way and the tool holds it in place.

You need the special tools for holding the crankshaft chain sprocket at the very least, it’s a kind of mesh design that only sits one way and the tool holds it in place.
Thanks I will check with him and get back to you probably this tool kit
IMG_2181.jpg

I believe you can remove the side engine mount and jack up that side to tilt the engine and reveal more of the timing chain area.
He says his engine cradle that uses the strut towers I haven’t seen it but he says he used it to install the clutch
IMG_2288.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg

Are you also doing the balance shaft and replacing the cam bridge?
No should I? As of today it’s a cast water pump oil pump timing chain and suspension but not coming until Tuesday($800) I can look it up but would like to hear your thoughts. I do enjoy the car and other then modding costs it’s been a very reliable vehicle

Making sure. Thanks for the heads up.
IMG_2192.jpeg

Why what?
62k Been my work car since 9/14 7359 milesView attachment 201318

This isn’t making much sense…. Why are you changing it? We don’t even change timing belts at 60k anymore. Did you evaluate degrees of timing off versus condemnation criteria? Does VW/Audi offer offset keys as an option?

IMG_9673.jpeg

Don’t mind the grime, but I have 2 degrees of wear on a diesel after 23 years and 233k. So yours being highly worn to me is suspect.

If you’re that concerned about the chain, then what about the tensioner and rails and cam gears?!?

It’s the tensioner and on a interference engine that means total rebuild.And some experience oil pump and water pump failure. I did a lot of research and would like to keep it dependable. I have done 3 k oil changes from 7300 miles and has been garage kept.If I thought I could keep driving it I would,it’s not what I want my vette builder to be working on,we are in the middle of rebuilding my z06 after a wide body kit and paint job

Back