Getting rid of a old tube tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty rare to find someone who actually wants a CRT TV anymore. I'm in the same boat. Have a ~2000 model year 32" Sony Wega. Picture are sound are still great. It's just that it's huge and has to weigh 200lbs. Amazing that that sucker cost me almost $1000 back then. We have a few times per year our town will come around and collect them, but only if the CRT isn't broken. I just have to get it out of the basement rec-room!

Last edited:
About as hard to get rid of as used brake fluid. Where does used brake fluid wind up?
cry.gif

I sold my Sony and Panasonic tube tv. I list them on CL. Eventually I got $20 each for them.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Heck,just set it out on the curb with a "free" sign on it.

Put a $50 sign on it so the thieves will think it's worth something. Mention the HDMI and HD, you have a rare bird.

It's a shame. The CRT HDTVs were the favorites of videophiles well into the plasma and LCD era. If I were anywhere near you I'd take it in a heartbeat. This is not your father's picture tube TV. Picture quality is still better than most LCDs.

DON'T put a sign on it that says "free", put a sign on it that says "works fine". Someone will take it.

Those things are not only heavy but all the weight is at the screen. They are very hard to balance. I gave mine away because my brothers kids wanted another tv. When they saw it they complained it wasn't flat. Beggars cannot be choosers.

I noticed that an old TV in an ethnic shop had a bad color transformer. The picture was all in shades of purple.

I had 2 CRT TVs to get rid of so I went by and offered the larger one to the guy for $100. The price went down to $25 and he was happy.

I offered him the other for nothin' and he asked his "cook" (in their foreign language) and the guy took it. I thought I did well at the time and I was right.

I have one more....a real good quality Toshiba flat tube. Time to find another ethnic store.

Last year I tried to give mine away on craigslist but no one wanted it. For comparison, I was able to give away a used toilet and a 14.4k modem on CL.

Recycling centers used to take CRTs for free but now charge $$ because the value of lead and recyclable materials inside them has dropped in price to the point they're money-losers.

Your best bet is to offer someone $5 to take it off your hands

Give it to a battered women's shelter or safe house. They are usually on a shoestring budget and glad to have anything. They might even have volunteers that will come pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back