Getting oil out of the exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of an odd question but I am sure someone has seen this somewhere before. I fixed up a VW TDI and took it for a spin. It had blown the turbo and I figured it did have some oil in the exhaust pipes. Did not realize it had THAT much oil in the exhaust, huge muffler. Now my subdivision has racing stripes down a few of the roads. I drove it at night and didn't think it was going to have enough oil in it to do THAT. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Safe to drive? Think the exhaust pipes can go on fire? Removing the exhaust is really not feasible without cutting it apart. Any suggestions appreciated.

Put a diaper on the exhaust pipe to catch the leaks???
*****... Sorry I'm still cracking up from the I in team!

How much oil has spilled out? Can you stick a suction hose in the exhaust when it's cold to drain some of the oil out?

Only one way to get it out, drive the dung out of it. I have done this with diesel trucks. Smoke like a mofo for a while at wot. It will clear up, watch for the man he will pull you over

Last edited:
Well it has two exhaust pipes on the same side of the vehicle and it left a good oil slick for about 1/4 mile. Funny thing is it does not come out at idle or with the vehicle tilted ( had the front end up in the air quite a bit for weeks while working on it). It drips a bit if you rev it in the driveway but I guess it doesn't really come out till it gets full boost. If you follow my racing stripes you can see when the boost kicked in and when it was between gears. I am thinking of towing it with another car out of the subdivision and then maybe taking it for a ride on the back roads. Kinda hate to make a mess all over the roads since I have no idea how much more is going to come out. After driving it a bit it does smoke really bad since I guess the oil is hot enough to be burning in the muffler. This muffler is huge (about 12x24) so I am afraid there may be plenty more in there.

Can you get water into the muffler? If you can get water in there it can't get hot enough to burn the oil until the water all boils off. Assuming that's long enough to drive to some open highway then you should be clear to blow it all out.
05.gif

If you remove the muffler, oil is generally cut with detergent, or a much lighter liquid carbon based molecule such as alcohol. Back in the 70's at one garage of some friends they use to use gasoline to clean the inside of gunked up valve covers. That worked great until someone threw a lit cigarette down near the spot where someone was working on a valve cover filled with gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back