Genuine Mercedes-Benz 229.5 5W-40 Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
T
Originally Posted by loneryder
Many people on here say that the MB 229.5 spec is a very high standard, one of the toughest. What about that spec makes people think highly of it??

There are millions of American autos on SM oil running just fine with many hundreds of thousands of miles. Great for MB to ask for the world for their boutique engines.

No they are not running just fine, as far as I remember they bankrupt, and actually one of them had to be also saved by German government.

There are millions of American autos on SM oil running just fine with many hundreds of thousands of miles. Great for MB to ask for the world for their boutique engines.

Generally speaking, they wanted a higher HTHS oil (not an ILSAC 30) with a higher TBN for longer OCIs. It's not like they were asking the world. Look at what happened with Audi back in the early 1990s. They specified API lubes but ridiculously long OCIs, and things coked and/or sludged. My Audi 200 had a 12,500 km severe service interval. The preferred grade was 15w-40. Most other grades were acceptable within temperature limits. All it called for was SJ or better. Now, if you ran a 15w-40 HDEO in that, yes, a 12,500 km OCI likely would have been very realistic. However, people weren't doing that and shops weren't doing that. They were grabbing the cheapest 10w-30 or 5w-30 or whatever they could find cheap, and it didn't always turn out so well. There was more than enough coking in it when I got it. The other alternative would have been significantly shorter OCIs on ordinary 10w-30 or 5w-30, but when it says 12,500 km, people did it.

12,500 severe service interval on API conventional, particularly of the day, is idiotic. That's why better lubes and/or shorter intervals were needed. 12,500 km in taxi service or highway miles on conventional would have been feasible, but not severe service.

Originally Posted by Garak

Generally speaking, they wanted a higher HTHS oil (not an ILSAC 30) with a higher TBN for longer OCIs. It's not like they were asking the world. Look at what happened with Audi back in the early 1990s. They specified API lubes but ridiculously long OCIs, and things coked and/or sludged. My Audi 200 had a 12,500 km severe service interval. The preferred grade was 15w-40. Most other grades were acceptable within temperature limits. All it called for was SJ or better. Now, if you ran a 15w-40 HDEO in that, yes, a 12,500 km OCI likely would have been very realistic. However, people weren't doing that and shops weren't doing that. They were grabbing the cheapest 10w-30 or 5w-30 or whatever they could find cheap, and it didn't always turn out so well. There was more than enough coking in it when I got it. The other alternative would have been significantly shorter OCIs on ordinary 10w-30 or 5w-30, but when it says 12,500 km, people did it.

12,500 severe service interval on API conventional, particularly of the day, is idiotic. That's why better lubes and/or shorter intervals were needed. 12,500 km in taxi service or highway miles on conventional would have been feasible, but not severe service.

He is not taking into consideration that those engines are first and foremost made for German driving conditions in mind. Those engines are created by German engineers and they could not care less whether some American engine can run on SM oil or not. They create engine for their application. If car is sold elsewhere, good, but they will not develop engine for slow moving American customer.

My German Engineer has a C7 Corvette
wink.gif

He said they did the emissions test on his static tailpipes and were very impressed with the American car's "green-ness"

Originally Posted by 4WD
My German Engineer has a C7 Corvette
wink.gif

He said they did the emissions test on his static tailpipes and were very impressed with the American car's "green-ness"

LOL, that is one of few American cars you can actually buy in Europe. Interestingly, they also change oil requirements in most cases for European markets.

Yeah - For those that don't know the C7 - they did not understand that two pipes go into bypass for track or whatever - and hooked on them while the car was running on normal muffler route.
(it's much funnier to hear him tell it - very good natured guy).

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah - For those that don't know the C7 - they did not understand that two pipes go into bypass for track or whatever - and hooked on them while the car was running on normal muffler route.
(it's much funnier to hear him tell it - very good natured guy).

Achieving good emissions from large displacement engines is really not a problem. Europeans are not doing it as gas is $7 per gallon. That is where starting point is when European companies develop engines, that gas is so expensive. Otherwise, NOx etc. would not be that big of an issue. That all brings complexity, turbo chargers etc. and with that more stringent oil requirements.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Originally Posted by The Critic
My local MB dealer is selling me this oil for the same price as M1 0W-40 (when it is not on rollback).

Does anyone know if this formula is still being produced by Mobil?

I will split the cost of a VOA with you if you will do it.

NAPA includes the TBN for about 15.00. But Blackstone is ok. Your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back