Gas additive for lawn equipment

E0in mower with Yamaha Ring Free 2Stroke all gets VPracing C9 with VPracing oil.

Got a summer camp for kids I help out with the maintenance...
Two 300 gallon tanks, one diesel, one gas

Fresh fuel is ordered in April / May, in September / October, tanks are dipped, to make sure enough is left for the Winter, additives are added at this time...

Gas - 85 octane, no ethanol.
I think this comes straight from the Colonial Pipeline.
They add ethanol to bring it to 87
(you can’t add it before, it would corrode the pipe)...
Sta-Bil blue and Techron added, one ounce per 5 gallons...

Diesel - 20% biodiesel, Power Service White bottle, 1 ounce per 2.5 gallon...

I use non-ethanol regular in my riding mower, pressure washer and any 4 cycle small engine. For all of my 2 cycle stuff, I use non-ethanol premium. What gas additives are y’all using for your lawn mowers, string trimmers and other lawn and 2 cycle equipment? I’m looking for something that keeps fuel fresh and contains a cleaner. I’m trying to get away from Sea Foam because of the amount of alcohol it contains.

The alcohol they use is Sea Foam is isopropanol. You might be thinking of ethanol.

I take 93 E10 to five gallon gas can with a bottom drain spout. Add 32 oz of water with blue food coloring. Shake it up. Let it sit for a few hours. Drain the water out. Ethanol and water mix together but the fuel doesn’t. The lawnmower and my Sthil love it.

I run 87 octane Exxon gas in my Honda 160 GCV lawnmower and 89 octane Exxon gas in my Stihl weed wacker and Stihl blower mixed with Stihl 2 stroke oil. Same routine for years and years -- simple is GOOD!!! ;)

Everything I own is 2 stroke, so I use ethanol free fuel with either Pennzoil XLF or Amsoil Saber depending on what I feel like mixing, then always add some Sta-Bil 360 Marine formula to the can.

L8R,
Matt

I have been using briggs & Stratton gas additive for several years now, only out of fear this forum has instilled in me. I never had any problems before using it, and none after, but hey, I feel good about my decision! As of right now, I'm running thru gas like sh*t thru a goose and I'm thinking it doesn't sit long enough to go bad.

I take 93 E10 to five gallon gas can with a bottom drain spout. Add 32 oz of water with blue food coloring. Shake it up. Let it sit for a few hours. Drain the water out. Ethanol and water mix together but the fuel doesn’t. The lawnmower and my Sthil love it.
I wonder what the octane rating of the gas is after you do this. My bet is it is quite low. Small engines may not care, but I wouldn't run it in a car.

I wonder what the octane rating of the gas is after you do this. My bet is it is quite low. Small engines may not care, but I wouldn't run it in a car.
Probably around 91 given that 10% ethanol is used to bring 85 to 87 octane. As long as all the water is removed it shouldn't be a problem.

I just use e0 Shell 91 in the ope. End of the season I'll dump it in one of the vehicles. The 84 Cutlass gets the same e0 but with stabil marine also added for winter storage.

I switched to only using top tier gas a year or 2 ago. Before that I had carb issues every 4-6 years (twice in 10-11 years) only using e10 for daily driving (long commute went through a lot of gas). We'll see if too tier improved things at all for me since I need to replace some leaking gaskets on the carb and will have it apart. It has been at least 4 years since my last carb issue on this car.

I generally fill the gas cans and one of the cars at the same time, so they’re getting E10 87 or E10 89 depending on who fills the cans. A dose of Stabil towards the end of the season for the mower and weed eater which gives me enough treated gas to put in the snow blower.

Snow blower has sat all spring and summer with e10 gasoline in it, fired up on the first pull last weekend and ran like the first time I pulled it out of the box. Checked the gas in the tank before I started it and no separation of the ethanol and gas.

I add 1 oz seafoam per gallon, 2 oz per gallon for 2-cycle. I store them wet and haven't had a carb issue.

Taryl on YouTube is in the middle of a year long experiment testing eight or so different additives (and straight gasoline, as well). This is the eight month result (he gets into the actual test around the 18 minute mark):

So far, the only one to fail is K-100. At the beginning of the month, he posts a new video of each engine starting.

Last edited:
Back