Gas additive for lawn equipment

I use non-ethanol regular in my riding mower, pressure washer and any 4 cycle small engine. For all of my 2 cycle stuff, I use non-ethanol premium. What gas additives are y’all using for your lawn mowers, string trimmers and other lawn and 2 cycle equipment? I’m looking for something that keeps fuel fresh and contains a cleaner. I’m trying to get away from Sea Foam because of the amount of alcohol it contains.

Last edited:
I use regular gas in everything and do rotate it.. ..except for trimmer & chainsaw which are both seldom used...there I am using Aspen alkatly gasoline...

And from time I put B&S additive into regular gas...

I put Stabil 360 Marine (the blue stuff) along with 1oz of TCW-3 2-cycle oil in the 5 gallon gas can right when I fill it at the gas station.
I then pour some of that gas into a smaller container and add an appropriate amount of 2-cycle oil for my 2-cycle leaf blower.

This has worked for me for years. No issues with ethanol in the fuel. Any Gas left over at the end of the season gets dumped in the car.

At the beginning of the season, I put a bit of techron in the fuel. I don't use any additives during the season. The last batch of fuel before winter storage gets stabil and 1oz of TCW-3 to 5 gallons of fuel (640:1).

What gas additives are y’all using for your lawn mowers, string trimmers and other lawn and 2 cycle equipment? I’m looking for something that keeps fuel fresh and contains a cleaner. I’m trying to get away from Sea Foam because of the amount of alcohol it contains.
Techron Marine multipurpose
Not the cheapest ... but very concentrated

E0 fuel. 2 stroke get that mixed with VP oil at 40:1
Mower just gets premium pump with a splash of MMO

I don't use anything in my OPE. We live in an EPA nonattainment area so all we can buy is E10 even at the Milwaukee Marina. My 28 year-old mower, 20 year-old garden tractor and snow thrower, and 15 year-old string trimmer and chain saw are still going strong. I just don't get notion that I need to add anything to the gasoline.

We have E10 and Ive not seen any issues. I've always put a capfull of motor oil in the fuel in the mover, I do the same in the generator. My Generac GP5500 and the Toro Snowthrower get Stabil added when put away. The Generator has not been drained in years, so it gets fresh gas on top of sometimes 2-3 years stale fuel. Even when I replaced the petcock last fall ( lever broke ) I didn't drain it. I Just removed the tank - which was 1/2 full - and stood it on end. This worked as the petcock bung is placed about 3/4 of they way to the other end. my push mover is 28 years old, My previous snowthrower was 26 tears young - and the engine still ran well - the body rusted out.

I don't use anything in my OPE. We live in an EPA nonattainment area so all we can buy is E10 even at the Milwaukee Marina. My 28 year-old mower, 20 year-old garden tractor and snow thrower, and 15 year-old string trimmer and chain saw are still going strong. I just don't get notion that I need to add anything to the gasoline.
What brand fuel do you mostly use?

The issue can come in with a snow blower or generator. If there is gas in snow blower when done with drive, will that be last snow of season or will there be more. With generator never know when power will be back on. True you can run them out of gas before storage. The amount of blue marine Stabil I add to each 5 gallon gas can costs maybe 10 cents. With a mower you kind of know when the last mow of the season is.

The issue can come in with a snow blower or generator. If there is gas in snow blower when done with drive, will that be last snow of season or will there be more. With generator never know when power will be back on. True you can run them out of gas before storage. The amount of blue marine Stabil I add to each 5 gallon gas can costs maybe 10 cents. With a mower you kind of know when the last mow of the season is.
Yeah I do try and run the snow thrower out of gas every year but it doesn't always happen. My generator is natural gas so that doesn't apply, but I'm sure it is beneficial to not have any gasoline (E0 or E10) sit several months in the carburetor bowl and tank.

I use the E0 gas in all my ope. I also put MMO in the gas can. In the fall before storing I also add a strong dose of Stabil.

I use non-ethanol regular in my riding mower, pressure washer and any 4 cycle small engine. For all of my 2 cycle stuff, I use non-ethanol premium. What gas additives are y’all using for your lawn mowers, string trimmers and other lawn and 2 cycle equipment? I’m looking for something that keeps fuel fresh and contains a cleaner. I’m trying to get away from Sea Foam because of the amount of alcohol it contains.
I run my mower out of gas at the last mow of the year. I run it on regular (likely 10% ethanol) gasoline. I put the last of the gasoline into the Honda and replace it with new. I then keep that full can of gasoline over the winter in case I might need to use it in my generator. If it sits for a long time I pour it into the Honda and buy new.

I never use any additive in my ope. Knock on wood I haven't had any problems. I have a 20year old trimmer and blower that start fine after sitting all winter and 4 commercial Honda GX engines,1 on a mower, 2 on wheel lines and a 13 hp one on a pressure washer And a BS Vanguard engine on a generator.

Last edited:
Stabil and Top Tier fuel. No cleaning agents added by me.

Y

Don't put Sea Foam in the big gas can. Just put a splash of it in the lawnmower tank (or other power equipment) only if it needs it in the spring to clean out the carb. I know some people use it as a fuel conditioner/stabilizer, but I'm with you, I don't like extra alcohol in my fuel. It does wonders to clean a surging engine in the spring though. One splash in the tank and all is good for the rest of the year.

Back