FRAM XG9688 For Hyundai/KIA 2.4 NA and 2.0T Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
69Torino
I have a friend with similar credentials as yours. Although he is Hyundai. Of course he pushes OE filters. He tells me most of the recalled engines he is replacing is due to poor maintenance and not filter failure. The dealership he works for has jacked up the filter price. I do 5,000 mile oil changes. I got the recall letter and I’m going to let things play out. I like a 5W30 blend for my KIA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
69Torino
I have a friend with similar credentials as yours. Although he is Hyundai. Of course he pushes OE filters. He tells me most of the recalled engines he is replacing is due to poor maintenance and not filter failure. The dealership he works for has jacked up the filter price. I do 5,000 mile oil changes. I got the recall letter and I’m going to let things play out. I like a 5W30 blend for my KIA.

In my tenure with Kia I have replaced lots of engines of all types due to neglect. It's not the filter's fault it was on there for 25k for sure, especially with sludge being pumped (or not pumped) through it.

5k interval with quality 30wt will be just fine I'm sure.

OP
My '13 passed the inspection and earned its new red/orange dipstick with flying colors. The warranty extension is out to 120K miles now. Being our fourth Hyundai, i have no worries it will remain trouble free. I have also used NapaGold filters a couple of times and can tell you with all confidence, no filter has ever given cause for concern.

When my mom had her Elantra, I ran them to 15k (2 OCI's). I cut my first one open around 5k and thought the heck with it since the engine was new.

No ticks, engine chatter etc. It was the early 2000 models that needed an OEM.

You guys are making me feel a bit better on branching out. When “AutoNation “ bought out the local Hyundai dealership, they jacked up the filter price to near premium range. RIDICULOUS! I can drive across the county and still come out cheaper at the KIA dealership. I know I can save money by ordering online but, I don’t like to keep too many filters on hand.

We have used nothing but Fram 9688's on my daughters 15 Soul since new, usually Tough Guards and not the slightest problem. I personally think most of the filter issues were with older models...and Motorking has posted that Fram specifically tweaked the 9688's for KIA/Hyundai to avoid any issues (it sounds like there were some with earlier Frams and KIA).

We have also had our 12 Sedona since late 12 and it's never had an OEM filter since I've owned it, again no issues but it takes a cartridge I believe what issues there actually were involved canisters.

I use the Fram Ultra 9688 on both my Hyundais and for double oil changes too, 15k miles on the Accent and 10k miles on the Genesis Coupe for the filters.

“We have used nothing but Fram 9688's on my daughters 15 Soul since new, usually Tough Guards and not the slightest problem.”
KCJeep, I will only consider using the Ultra/XG

SHOZ
I will continue with 5,000 mile OCIs. I’m going to try using filters on my KIA other than the OE. The Hyundai dealership is about 2 miles away and they have jacked up their filter prices considerably. The KIA dealership is 14 miles away and they are cheaper. Ordering online isn’t something I will consider. If the engine fails due to the listed cause in the recall letter, oh well. I’ll have a new engine installed under the recall warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
“We have used nothing but Fram 9688's on my daughters 15 Soul since new, usually Tough Guards and not the slightest problem.”
KCJeep, I will only consider using the Ultra/XG

I understand but you missed my point. If these 9688's you seem to consider inferior work so well, the implication was I'd think you hardly dissatisfied with the Ultra equivalent. An Ultra for 5k OCI's seems a bit overkill but it's an oil filter not that expensive really.

KCJeep
As far as price, the nearby Hyundai dealer has jacked up prices to near Ultra level. I had issues with the Extra Guard years ago and that is the main reason I won’t consider their fiber end cap models. The Ultra seems to be a well constructed filter and worth trying.

I have been using the OEM filter on my 2011 Optima since new. I change the oil and filter at 10000 km intervals. My engine earned it's new dips stick in the summer as well. I use any major synthetic that is on sale. The only oil that makes the engine "sound different"is Penzoil Platinum.

cb450sc
I’ve been using OE oil filters in mine since it was new. I just want to try something different. I have the new Mann-Hummel made OE filter waiting to go on. Right now, I don’t care if the engine takes a [censored] or not. It’s been a pretty good car but, I think I would rather have a Ford Fusion.

Been using Fram XG3593a (what was on hand for the Honda) in a 2011 Kia Soul for years now with no apparent issues. Seems to just be a slightly longer version of the XG9688. Car now uses M1 HM 10W-30 instead of the spec'd 5W-20 due to owner not topping up her oil often enough between oil changes. This way she does not roll up with only 2 qts in the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back