Fram XG3600 8K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thinking is-if the oil UOA shows decent life left I'll go 10K next-if the oil is toast I'll just use the Ultra (that I just put on today) for 2 8K OCIs.

Looks great. Makes me feel good about making the switch from Platinums to Ultras.

I can get the Ultras for $7.99 at Advance.

Looks good, thanks for cutting and posting!

I have one of the older used Extended Guards sitting around I need to cut but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Looks good, thanks for cutting and posting!

I have one of the older used Extended Guards sitting around I need to cut but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Just do like everyone else around here is doing, use it again.
shocked.gif

Hah!

I will leave a filter on during an OCI depending on how long it's been on and what the oil transition is, but I will not spin a used filter on once it's been taken off. I'm too concerned about a gasket issue for that.

Hah!

I will leave a filter on during an OCI depending on how long it's been on and what the oil transition is, but I will not spin a used filter on once it's been taken off. I'm too concerned about a gasket issue for that.

Just look at it like a test. Then you can post the results here and we can learn from you.
grin.gif

Hah!

I've had the P1 on and off of my truck three times now. Tempting fate, I suppose, but I have to run this filter out to 15k for a test.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Hah!

I've had the P1 on and off of my truck three times now. Tempting fate, I suppose, but I have to run this filter out to 15k for a test.

Interesting.

I would suppose those that don't grossly overtighten their filters would have much better luck taking them on/off than those that do. In reflection, most of the gasket problems I've experienced were in the past when I tended to tighten filters much tighter than I do now.

Re: reinstalling used filter----I would be more concerned about causing some internal damage to the media seating surface, or internal media itself than a visible gasket leak

MinamiKotaro said:
Looks great. Makes me feel good about making the switch from Platinums to Ultras.

Ditto....very glad I switched to the ULTRA....from the PureOne.

Will do two OCI's of 7,500 miles each...on each filter. My engine is clean...so I'm confident that the ULTRA can easily handle 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Will do two OCI's of 7,500 miles each...on each filter. My engine is clean...so I'm confident that the ULTRA can easily handle 15,000 miles.

Are you using the same filter for (2) OCI's, or (2) seperate filters? The wording in your statement is confusing.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Are you using the same filter for (2) OCI's, or (2) seperate filters? The wording in your statement is confusing.
21.gif

Sounds like he's got two Ultra filters, and planning on doing 2 times 7,500 OCI, for a total duration of 15K miles on each filter. So his two Ultra filters will last him 4 OCIs, which will be equal to 30K miles total.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Sounds like he's got two Ultra filters, and planning on doing 2 times 7,500 OCI, for a total duration of 15K miles on each filter. So his two Ultra filters will last him 4 OCIs, which will be equal to 30K miles total.

Nah, he's on the right track; (1) filter for (1) OCI. Not (1) filter for (2) OCI's!
27.gif

Nah, he's on the right track; (1) filter for (1) OCI. Not (1) filter for (2) OCI's!
27.gif

Nope ... he's said in many threads that he's going for 2 OCIs at 7,500 miles each on one Ultra filter.
19.gif

27.gif

Nope ... he's said in many threads that he's going for 2 OCIs at 7,500 miles each on one Ultra filter.
19.gif

That is so wrong.
AnimatedRollingEyesSmiley.gif
28.gif

27.gif

19.gif

That is so wrong.
AnimatedRollingEyesSmiley.gif
28.gif

It's rated for 15K ... so why not do it if the engine is clean. Plus, I'm sure FRAM has some safety margin in their 15K FCI spec.

It's rated for 15K ... so why not do it if the engine is clean. Plus, I'm sure FRAM has some safety margin in their 15K FCI spec.

As I have said before, "To each his own!"
I "WON'T" do it until I have test results that it is ok to do so. Are people that tight or hard up that they can't buy another oil filter?
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back