Fram Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fly in the ointment is that the multi pass test is a short lab test, and isn't a duplicate of real world use. It does show what it tests. Someone did a real world particle test here and the Fram Ultra lost to a Toyota copy filter. To me that means something as it wasn't just a graph drawing someone could fake and create, it was a real test at a named lab on their printout. I think there is something to the fact cellulose with it's natural variation and absorbent microscopic pores, may be able to scrub oil cleaner than a man made slippery fiber netting. This is just an idea, to clarify, but I think there is something to it. If there was no contradiction then there would be no need for an oil filter discussion group.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Someone did a real world particle test here and the Fram Ultra lost to a Toyota copy filter. To me that means something as it wasn't just a graph drawing someone could fake and create, it was a real test at a named lab on their printout.

There was also someone who posted ISO cleanliness test data for an Ultra ran on a motorcycle (shared engine & transmission), and also the same lab did the ISO cleanliness test on a sample of the new oil that he ran. The used oil tested cleaner than the new oil. So who knows.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I think there is something to the fact cellulose with it's natural variation and absorbent microscopic pores, may be able to scrub oil cleaner than a man made slippery fiber netting. This is just an idea, to clarify, but I think there is something to it.

If that was the case then they should be performing good in the ISO 4548 test. Some cellulose filters do, and some don't, so the efficiency performance is based on more than just the type of media. The old PureOnes were cellulose media, and they were rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns. Then there are cellulous filters half that efficient. Same holds true for comparing full synthetic filters - ie, Ultra vs WIX XP; two ends of the spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back