Fram Ultra New 20K Mile Rating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing 20k+ on Ultras on my Honda Fit. Just following the OLM and factory recommendation to run the filter for two OCI's. I probably could go longer.

In fact I think the 20K filters are Bull winkle. They need to stop the hype and give us some better filters. For some time they had the ability to give us 10 micron or smaller filters. Your oil only stays as good as your filter keeps it. Until someone gives us a 10 micron filter or better I only buy 20 micron filters that are on sale and filter 99% or better no product loyalty here.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
In fact I think the 20K filters are Bull winkle. They need to stop the hype and give us some better filters. For some time they had the ability to give us 10 micron or smaller filters. Your oil only stays as good as your filter keeps it. Until someone gives us a 10 micron filter or better I only buy 20 micron filters that are on sale and filter 99% or better no product loyalty here.

Indeed!

In fact I think the 20K filters are Bull winkle. They need to stop the hype and give us some better filters. For some time they had the ability to give us 10 micron or smaller filters.

Who is they? Think you're gonna have to go bypass setup if you want better than what most of the 99% @ 20 micron filters give. FU is said to be 80% @ 5 microns so it's catching a good amount of 5 to 20 micron particles.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
It's interesting how Nissan went to 5,000 mile OCI on your Frontier I assume you have the 4.0 V6? I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 and they recommend 3,750 for severe service and 7,500 for normal service oil and filter. I do about 4,000 mile change in summer towing my camper with whatever filter and 5-7,000 miles in winter with a Fram Ulta for two changes. Seems to work out fine but the small filter on Nissan's 4.0 V6 makes me nervous!

It is the V6. I had to double check the maintenance schedule to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong. Strange thing is, there is no severe-service oil change interval (if I'm reading that correctly). The only severe service fluid changes are at 20,000 miles for ATF, diffs, and t-case. I'm figuring on splitting the difference with those and do them around 30,000.

Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..

By the way if you tow anything run a solid 10w30 or better in that V6 and change it early the VQ40DE timing chains can shear oil like a bad thing at high RPM

My Frontier manual also has 7.5K service intervals for oil, which is what I've run for the 191,000 miles I've had it. Interesting you mention the shear - I've not seen any issues. But I've only done 3-4 UOA's.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd just run it one OCI. Some people spend more money on lunch than they do the price of a Fram Ultra.

This is so true. And the heated debated here on BITOG over the $5 difference in filters cracks me up.

I'm still trying to decide on my OCI. If I settle on a 5,000 mile change, I might be temped to run the Ultra for two cycles. In reality, that's how long it would be on my truck if I drove easy miles. Can't say I'd push it to three or more cycles however.

Here is one for you. I think that its overkill to use an ultra on most run of the mill econoboxes.

You don't need it and fram or supertech will suit you just fine.

I like to change oil and filter at 5k for my applications, 20k would be over a year and a half on my vehicles.

In my humble opinion, the benefits of a new filter easily outweigh the costs of that filter and the two minutes needed to change it. That's my opinion and I am sticking with it. The rest of you are all free to do what you want.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I like to change oil and filter at 5k for my applications, 20k would be over a year and a half on my vehicles.

It would be almost 4 years on the Scion, and 5 on the truck.

Considering how much I drive in a year, I could easily do 20,000 miles in about 8 or 9 months, and since I typically do 7,500 mile OCIs, and have gone as high as 9,000 miles on a single OCI, I could potentially see doing 15,000 - 18,000 miles on a single Fram Ultra on my Fusion. I suspect it could easily handle the mileage. I don't think I'd feel good about running more than 2 OCIs on a single Ultra though... especially since I can get them for under $8 each.

... and also because I already have a stash of 15 filters for this car as it is, which should get me to 350,000 miles before I've used them all.

Sheesh people! The top-of-the-line Fram Ultra is like a WHOLE $10 at Walmart!

KISS: Change the oil early, change the filter (pre-filled with clean oil of course). Its not really that hard.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Sheesh people! The top-of-the-line Fram Ultra is like a WHOLE $10 at Walmart!

KISS: Change the oil early, change the filter (pre-filled with clean oil of course). Its not really that hard.

You must have one of those high brow Walmart's I just bought an XG4967 for $7.94. Wanted to try one but will likely stick with my Purolator One 10K filters for $6.99 the one I have on now seems to be working well We'll know in April. Walmart will have them on sale before most peoples next extended OCI is my guess.

Wanted to try one but will likely stick with my Purolator One 10K filters for $6.99 the one I have on now seems to be working well We'll know in April.

How do you know "it's working well"? Motor hasn't blown up yet.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Wanted to try one but will likely stick with my Purolator One 10K filters for $6.99 the one I have on now seems to be working well We'll know in April.

How do you know "it's working well"? Motor hasn't blown up yet.
laugh.gif

The same way you do when I get my UOA in April but right now the oil is clear and not darkened appreciably at one thousand miles. Until you get your UOA its a guess.

Last edited:
Well, considering that the deal price on an Ultra is around five bucks, I wonder why it would matter?
If I run the oil out to 8-9K or 15% MM, why would I worry at all about changing a five buck filter?
Yeah, Honda may say that an oil filter is good for two OCIs, but I don't think I need to get two OCIs out of a cheap part.
I change the oil filter every OCI, so I'm not too worried about M1 and Ultra oil filters running to 20K.
Those who do so are probably less conservative than I am when it comes to cheap routine maintenance.

Now.. is the 4967 size one of the main problem children ??? Don't believe so at all. That size filter is about the same as my 14612 which has been without issues at all being that they are so small and short.

with the Civic a 3sq.ft. under body cover to remove, a real pain especially in the cold..I'll go 7k and draw topside quick and clean..leave the filter in service, no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back