Fords using oil. Q's and recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed my 2010 fusion 3L v6 using a bit of oil using 5w20 castrol edge FST 5w20. It within the maks on the dipstick so maybe a 1/4 guart or slightly more. Not crazy but made me aware. Considered a change of brands but stuck with 5w20 edge fst and currently the vehicle has almost 50 grand on it. In my new 13 v6 mustang i used a different brand ultra also in 5w20. Noticed today around 6 grand into the oci that it's also used some but still within the range on the dipstick. Prolly also around a 1/4 quart or it seems more. Will top off and see what it takes to het back to full line. I check both vehicles around an hour after change and both were right at full line after change. Now in the fusion will it make a difference if i go to a 5w30. 5w30 cause it's out of warranty? Ford recs 5w20. In My stang i have warranty left so i'll stick with 5w20 may jump up to 5w30 if it makes a difference in the fusioin. Ive seen here in new 5.0 f150 motors that they are usion oil. Wondering if people have seen this with the new sn oils or is this a ford thing? I understand that using some oil is normal in some vehicles but have never seen it on my vehicles until well over a hundred grand on the odo.

Thanks

Last edited:
Several vehicles i have had will do the same thing and then go no lower.I have had two identical engines do the same thing neither of them burned oil.I always added a 1/4 qt less and things where fine.I am not saying this is your issue.

If under warranty stick with whatever maintains it. For the out of warranty car moving one grade thicker will do no harm however your consumption is nominal at worst.
Oem's state 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable oil consumption which I consider absurd however if they say its alright then I wouldn't worry.
My fords consume no oil whatsoever however I was running 40 grades. This season in my new to me 4V I'll be going a bit thinner since I've got an oil cooler,which may increase consumption slightly.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If under warranty stick with whatever maintains it. For the out of warranty car moving one grade thicker will do no harm however your consumption is nominal at worst.
Oem's state 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable oil consumption which I consider absurd however if they say its alright then I wouldn't worry.
My fords consume no oil whatsoever however I was running 40 grades. This season in my new to me 4V I'll be going a bit thinner since I've got an oil cooler,which may increase consumption slightly.
1000 muiles per quart seems to be an "industry standard" for oil consumption which will NOT trigger the warranty. I think it's a bit high as well.

HerrStig said:
Why would a cooler INCREASE consumption? Capacity, yes. [/quote

Did you even read my post before commenting. I wrote I've been using 40 grades in my fords but will be going thinner this season due to the oil cooler as going thinner MAY increase my consumption.

How much oil are you using in 1K miles?? In general terms once your warranty is over if your oil consumption is significant you have two choices after confirming the CCV is clean, firstly you could switch to a major brand HM oil or secondly you could look at moving up to an X/30 grade. If the consumption is real high then try both changes as that should cut the oil consumption and any leaks in particular.

Originally Posted By: maybehabitformin
Several vehicles i have had will do the same thing and then go no lower.I have had two identical engines do the same thing neither of them burned oil.I always added a 1/4 qt less and things where fine.I am not saying this is your issue.

You added a quart ,ore or less?

For some reason my truck likes the oil level to be about 1/4 of a quart above the add mark. If I add it will be back to that same spot in about 500-1000 miles but if I leave it alone it will stay there for almost the entire interval. If I tow or run it hard I will add a quart in a 5k interval. So I don't add unless it is below the add mark then add a quart. Truck is an 04 5.4 3 valve with 130k miles.

Well in 6400 miles my stang took almost a full quart of pennzoil ultra. Used 5w30 for make up oil instead of 5w20. Autozone did not carry 5w20 ultra. Will need to watch levels for next oci. Or change to 5w30 to see if it stops consumption. It's my first run of ultra so that may be the issue. Not sure what im gonna do.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i have never had a ford product use any oil.

Oddly enough you are not the only one. There have been other problems and I am surrounded by Fords oil consumption is the least of our worries.

5800 miles was the actual mileage for consumption. Changed oil today and used Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 again. It was changed to verify correct reading of the dipstick. Wasn't sure if 6 fresh quarts got to the max hole on the dipstick. It did so yesterday i added almoztwa full quart to get to the full dipstick line. Do the new SN oils burn off faster?

I change oil in my F150 5.4 every 5000 miles. It uses a quart of oil between every change and has since new. I would love to be one of those "my Ford has never used any oil" guys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i have never had a ford product use any oil.

+1....Have had my 03' Focus for about five years now....and it does not use a drop of oil on 7,500 OCI's.

I've use synthetic (see below) for the last 55K, and the dip stick is always at full.

I may try red line 5w20. I'm not sure what to look at for volatility on a pds but i thought ultra and edge fst were both good in 5w20

No red line. Going with PU or staying with EDGE FST for fusion in either 5w20 or 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back