Ford's swollen lug nuts issue / C&D article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac

As aside Chrysler 200 uses a lug stud type lug as opposed to lug nuts. I'm thinking lug studs 'a bit' easier to get out of socket than expanding nuts. That said I imagine, they probably have something to hold on to the lug nut with? I'm still amazed at what I saw.

Are you talking about Lug bolts?
lugbolt.jpg

they are terrible.. its way easier/cheaper to replace a stud than a spindle.

Give me lug nuts and studs anytime.

Oh and the OEM lugbolts on 2014+ cherokee have this expanding issue.

Yeah lug bolts. I called them studs just because they take the place of a stud. Tech mentioned to me that when Fiat bought Chrysler, they went to the lug bolt design. Said that design used more in Europe. Can't vouch for veracity of that statement. Will say this tech works the behind counter often too, and I've talked with him before. Pretty sharp imo.

I mentioned to him that I hadn't seen the lug bolt design, and that's when he volunteered that info.

I too prefer the lug nut design. But as far as getting the expanding lugs 'off' the impact socket, at least these have something to hold on to when hammering the lugs out. That as opposed to the lug nut design stuck in the socket.

Expanding/swollen nuts, what a stupid design.

Yeah lug bolts. I called them studs just because they take the place of a stud. Tech mentioned to me that when Fiat bought Chrysler, they went to the lug bolt design. Said that design used more in Europe. Can't vouch for veracity of that statement. Will say this tech works the behind counter often too, and I've talked with him before. Pretty sharp imo.

I mentioned to him that I hadn't seen the lug bolt design, and that's when he volunteered that info.

I too prefer the lug nut design. But as far as getting the expanding lugs 'off' the impact socket, at least these have something to hold on to when hammering the lugs out. That as opposed to the lug nut design stuck in the socket.

Expanding/swollen nuts, what a stupid design.

I can confirm that BMW and VW both use the lug bolt design.

I know this is a somewhat older thread but I witnessed the issue first hand yesterday at local Discount Tire store just what a pita these things are. Tire tech was working on what looked to be a fairly new Chrysler 200 with a puncture in the tread.

I see him literally hammering to get the impact socket on each lug, and I was like wth is he doing. So I asked him and he told me about the expanding lug nuts issue and I remembered seeing this post. He also mentioned the Ford lawsuit several times. Then I watch him have to knock each lug off the impact socket. I couldn't believe what I seeing, I was smh.

He said that they sell a complete set of new lugs for $50. If folks saw just how much involved in this they would change the lugs. However I imagine most don't witness the procedure required. The lady getting her puncture repaired was sitting in the lobby while it was done so she had no idea. And even with all involved, the RMA puncture repair was done for free as is DT SOP.

As aside Chrysler 200 uses a lug stud type lug as opposed to lug nuts. I'm thinking lug studs 'a bit' easier to get out of socket than expanding nuts. That said I imagine, they probably have something to hold on to the lug nut with? I'm still amazed at what I saw.

Yup. Been there. Its even MORE fun when the cap totally falls off, then none of the sockets are the 'right' size so you put the closest one on it, cross your fingers and pray to your god that it will come off before the socket rounds it over.

I can only imagine the feeling if the cap comes off, ugh. After watching the tech's efforts on 'one' wheel I know if I owned a vehicle with this issue, I'd replace all the lug nuts/bolts. Wouldn't be happy about it being on my dime, but this is simply unacceptable imo.

Also good to know the tech was accurate in his discussion of lug bolt usage in Europe. As noted, I'd spoken with this particular DT employee in the past and he seemed like a knowledgeable guy.

Uh, guys!

I had those lug nuts on my 1986 Pontiac 6000 and when the *cover* came off, I cut a small shim from shim stock to fit in my 6 point socket. I even bent the end in the shape of a *U* so it was easier to hold in position. That prevented the socket from rounding off.

I'll bet you could make something out of aluminum foil that would work.

Last edited:
I seem to recall that I did find a socket that fit the naked nut pretty well, but then I needed to keep that in the car as well for a flat, and my wife wasn't going to deal with 2 wrenches if she need to swap a tire... So I just bought a set of cheaper zinc plated solid nuts from the autoparts store. After a few years they are starting to rust a bit but they still will work for the lifetime of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back