Fords new 7.3 liter engine is a pushrod engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach

Weren't people careless dumping in Lucas in the PSDs which would screw up the HPOP due to oil aeration and also suffer driveability problems? And wasn't the VGT turbo a complicated affair on the 6.0s, leading Ford/Navistar to go with a big-small twin turbo setup like a Japanese sports car?

I don't recall any failures from Lucas, But.....If I replace a HPOP or any work on the high pressure oil system outside of a ICP sensor, It's getting an oil change anyway! Lucas Oil Stabilizer usage could be a regional thing because I don't see it often??

The VGT Garrett Turbo on the 6.0L is VERY similar to the VGT Garrett found on LLY/LBZ/LMM Duramax trucks. They are pretty simple, Movable vanes connected to a unison ring that's oil actuated via solenoid is the only difference compared to a fixed turbo.
Duramax VGT"s can have issues with sticky vanes & unison rings as well, Just not near the frequency of the 6.0L's. I don't have a concrete theory as to why that is......But, My Duramax goes through "cleaning" cycles by opening & closing the VGT Solenoid any time the truck is idling in park.

The 6.4L Powerstroke Borg Warner compound set-up has one Turbo that's VGT.....Just a different approach to actuation vs the Garrett designs as it uses an electric motor.

Last edited:
I see a spin on oil filter
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Mod motor bellhousing you say?
I found my engine swap for my Vic. Ill even lockout the VVT and run it with the Vic's EEC-V

It will probably be a pretty popular swap once the junkyards start to get a good supply of wrecked trucks.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
The JY market is going to breath new life into a lot of old Ford's. Given the size of most mod motors, any car will not notice a big block pushrod motor in it.

I doubt this engine will weigh as much as cast iron mods.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Looks to be a beast, I would say 500 horse 575 torque are modest estimates. Big displacement, likely long stroke, cast iron block with cross-bolted mains and a gear-driven timing setup with VVT. I dig it.

I think it will be 400 HP, 460 ft*lbs. It's not tuned for power. Ford has said that they have limited fueling to stoichiometric at WOT for good fuel economy.

A low cost, simple engine makes a lot of sense for people that don't tow all the time. Diesel fuel cost is more than 30% higher than 87/89 octane gasoline these days. Diesel fuel economy suffers because of trap regens, and buying DEF adds to operating costs. The high cost of the diesel option has continued to spiral because of all the emissions controls. Basically there is no reason to buy diesel anymore. It may not even be cost-effective for people that tow all the time. I can't remember the last time I talked to an RV transporter with a late-model truck that hasn't DELETED the emissions controls. It's the only way to make money.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Looks to be a beast, I would say 500 horse 575 torque are modest estimates. Big displacement, likely long stroke, cast iron block with cross-bolted mains and a gear-driven timing setup with VVT. I dig it.

I think it will be 400 HP, 460 ft*lbs. It's not tuned for power. Ford has said that they have limited fueling to stoichiometric at WOT for good fuel economy.

A low cost, simple engine makes a lot of sense for people that don't tow all the time. Diesel fuel cost is more than 30% higher than 87/89 octane gasoline these days. Diesel fuel economy suffers because of trap regens, and buying DEF adds to operating costs. The high cost of the diesel option has continued to spiral because of all the emissions controls. Basically there is no reason to buy diesel anymore. It may not even be cost-effective for people that tow all the time. I can't remember the last time I talked to an RV transporter with a late-model truck that hasn't DELETED the emissions controls. It's the only way to make money.

That seems low. The MOPAR 6.4L in the HD trucks is 410HP/429lb-ft
21.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

21.gif

Yeah, but the Ford's not a Hemi!
I'm keying off of the rating of GM's new 6.6L L8T engine: 401 HP @ 5200 rpm, 464 ft*lbs @ 4000 rpm. Then I take into account that the Ford is 10% larger displacement, then assume the stoichiometric tuning will cost 10% in power, thereby ending up about equivalent to GM's engine.

Last edited:

21.gif

Yeah, but the Ford's not a Hemi!

lol.gif
I'm surprised how much they get derated for HD usage. The 5.7L we just bought is 395HP/410lb-ft.

Do you think they went 7.3 for nostalgia and the great rep the old 7.3 diesel had? Maybe a bit of marketing involved there?

The JY market is going to breath new life into a lot of old Ford's. Given the size of most mod motors, any car will not notice a big block pushrod motor in it.

It might be a little longer than the 4.6 but probably nearly the same width. Only thing that concerns me is the height with that long runner intake. Need someone to design and make like a Vic Jr style intake for it and we will be in business. Lose some torque but it will not be in short supply I suspect and wont miss it. Itll tug my car around with authority.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws

It might be a little longer than the 4.6 but probably nearly the same width. Only thing that concerns me is the height with that long runner intake. Need someone to design and make like a Vic Jr style intake for it and we will be in business. Lose some torque but it will not be in short supply I suspect and wont miss it. Itll tug my car around with authority.

Given the amount of underpowered modular cars out there, I'd expect the aftermarket to respond.

21.gif

You're going to want to wait and see how much and especially where the power is made. I'm going to expect this engine to make most of it's power down in the bucket. If it will make it's power low, high, and flat, and do it all day long with one's foot stuck in it then it will be worth it.

Ford always likes to claim the most power, towing, etc. So I expect it will have better claimed power than the 6.4 Hemi.

Originally Posted by billt460
Can those short ignition wires be replaced?

Please tell me .... why do you think they can't?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by billt460
Can those short ignition wires be replaced?

Please tell me .... why do you think they can't?

Pretty sure that they aren't cast in situ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back