Fords new 7.3 liter engine is a pushrod engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UncleDave
This is great something modern with some big grunt that gets around all the diesel complexity and bolt on windmills.

A modern big pushrod mill with variable timing and a high BSFC sounds like a killer package.

Mated to a wide 10 speed it could get decent mileage.

UD

thumbsup2.gif

460 Fords were the good old days now we are returning back to the big block gas engines.

screenshot_20190205-154058__01-jpeg.1549500

click for the image not sure why BITOG embed can't display it

Last edited:
I wonder if it's an evolution of the Modular? It has already been confirmed that it has the Modular bellhousing pattern so swapping it into thinks give you a wide range of transmissions. Honestly I think we're going to see more of this. Navistar is offering a punched out rebuilt 8100 in their medium duty trucks now, Ford reintroduced the 6.8 in their 650 a while back and it's popular.

With how expensive modern diesels are getting (buy in cost, $600 injectors, extremely complicated injection system, >$10K if someone puts diesel in the DEF) it's no surprise that people are picking big gas engines for medium duty. With proper gearing they'll pull almost as good and the lower buyin cost, lower maintenance will more than pay for the single digit mileage.

I'm not the biggest Ford fan in the world but this sounds like it's going to be a nice engine. I can't wait to see some real world results.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
This should be a HORSE of an engine. Fords V10 was only a 6.8L mill if I recall. The Biggest gas truck engine to date was the GM 8.1L I just don't see the need for such a large gas engine that will undoubtedly get horrible economy. Why not just buy a diesel if you require this much towing capability?

My notoriously hated 05 PSD with the 6.0 averaged 15-16-mpg loaded to the gills hauling a 3 horse trailer with living quarters, 3 fat mares, tons of excess junk and other items when we moved from WV to Florida, over 975 miles.

The 6.0 is one of the most underrated diesels out there love mine and itl pull the neighbors house off the foundation if I let it. They may not like abuse as much as a Cummins but man can they move

The 6.0 is one of the biggest turds ever dumped on an unsuspecting public. It is the engine that has turned all-Ford fleets to NO-Ford fleets.

After market shops have made the 6.0 pretty reliable...not so much from Ford. A family member had a construction company and I remember problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. 6.7s have been pretty good from what I know.

The 6.0 is rated exactly as it deserves. Easily the worst diesel engine of the modern age. Maybe the worst engine period. Private owners and vendors of 6.0 products swear it's not bad.

Ford and repair pros know its garbage.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Right, the 6.0 is such a turd and that's why Jesse Warren placed 5th in the UCC using a 6.0 back in 2017
21.gif

can't use a highly modified engine to compare to the ones fleet owners used. The fleet people I know still curse a blue streak when you talk about the 6.0

I watched it turn one fleet from all Fords to never buying another Ford diesel, and another from all-Ford to never buying another Ford.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Right, the 6.0 is such a turd and that's why Jesse Warren placed 5th in the UCC using a 6.0 back in 2017
21.gif

I don't even need to look this truck up to know that it was heavily modified and loaded with parts that were not manufactured by Ford or Navistar.

It's not a phenomenon that almost any turdpile engine can be heavily modified into a winner.

I'm not going to argue the faults of the 6.0L Powerstroke, But I will say......A LOT of problems were caused by Owners & Mechanics alike not knowing what they were doing!
*Breaking EVERY electrical connector under the hood while replacing every part they "think" might be bad.
*Double stacking Injector sealing washers.
*Over-torquing the Injector hold downs.
*Replacing the HPOP for internal oil leaks.
*Replacing the turbo because a stuck unison ring.

And the list goes on & on, Costing the Customer or Themselves thousands of dollars!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'm not going to argue the faults of the 6.0L Powerstroke, But I will say......A LOT of problems were caused by Owners & Mechanics alike not knowing what they were doing!
*Breaking EVERY electrical connector under the hood while replacing every part they "think" might be bad.
*Double stacking Injector sealing washers.
*Over-torquing the Injector hold downs.

And the list goes on & on, Costing the Customer or Themselves thousands of dollars!

I can't remember what all the dealer replaced under warranty on my 6.0. I do know I didn't want to own it after the warranty was up.

A good point for sure, but the bulk of the 6.0 reputation was built on untouched 6.0 engines failing to make it a good distance before critical failure. Second reason being people learning that this was due to some very widespread incompetent engineering.

The ones we have dealt with all just had the usual 6.0 problems. STC fittings, dummy plugs, standpipes, IPR, ICP, EGR cooler, FICM, etc.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Weren't people careless dumping in Lucas in the PSDs which would screw up the HPOP due to oil aeration and also suffer driveability problems? And wasn't the VGT turbo a complicated affair on the 6.0s, leading Ford/Navistar to go with a big-small twin turbo setup like a Japanese sports car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back