Ford will only sell Mustang, Focus Active in N.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
general consumers will shoot themselves in foot by switching to big SUVs and add to higher gasoline demand; therefore, the higher prices at a gas pump! GL

Ford is missing something here. While crossovers and SUVs are in demand a lot of Toyota Camry’s get sold every year.

Sheet metal boxes with engines, seats and 4 wheels.

A company which makes what sells is likely smart. They can revert back to sedans and coupes whenever they want.

I don't think I'm going to slit my wrists over this one.

Could it be that "going upright" is to make room for battery packs? I never was in love with the "rolling living room".

Do I need to put my flame suit on?

ps Notice how Ford didn't say they were curtailing car making to concentrate on transmission quality.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This begs the question of why Honda and Toyota can mint money making mid-sized cars in the US and Ford can't?
Drive a Fusion and an Accord and a Camry.
Which of these is noticeably a decade or two behind in powertrain refinement?

Can they? Last I heard Accord and Camry sales have been declining too. As has Nissan.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/03/wan...dence-exhibits/

Here's 2017's midsize #'s: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/01/midsize-car-sales-america-december-2017-2017-year-end/

I've been in a newer Accord and it was nothing to write home about. Certainly not much better than the GM or Ford offerings. Seemed mediocre in nearly every way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This begs the question of why Honda and Toyota can mint money making mid-sized cars in the US and Ford can't?
Drive a Fusion and an Accord and a Camry.
Which of these is noticeably a decade or two behind in powertrain refinement?
For Ford to put all of their eggs in a higher end, higher fuel consuming basket seems very short sighted and also illustrates that management has forgotten the last near-death experience of just a decade ago.

Exactly.

Seems like they are eliminating a large portion of the US market. I imagine there's a lot of lower income younger people who won't be introduced into the Ford brand via Fiesta and lower trim Focuses. But the Fiesta and Focus were always so small inside compared to anything Japanese.

I can understand why they are moving in this direction. SUVs and Crossovers are taking over. And the gas mileage is getting pretty reasonable out of most of them. I love the upright seating position of my pickup and my crossover - that's one thing that Japanese compacts and subcompacts have the American ones don't.

Plus what is going to happen in a couple years when gas is back up at $4 a gallon? People aren't going to want to keep driving those trucks and SUVs

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The Rav4 outsells the Camry.

Yes that may be true but a lot of Camrys still get sold.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The Rav4 outsells the Camry.

Yes that may be true but a lot of Camrys still get sold.

And if the folks that want to buy a Camry can't buy one, will they buy a Rav4 or will they buy an Accord instead?

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Plus what is going to happen in a couple years when gas is back up at $4 a gallon? People aren't going to want to keep driving those trucks and SUVs

This. The last time the big three put all their eggs in the truck basket, things didn't go very well for them at all.

The Rav4 outsells the Camry. Honda is finally making a sort of pickup. Can BMW be far behind?

If Ford's move works they will be considered very smart by Monday morning QB's and if it back fires all the experts will say, "I told you so".

Ford has a lot of unfunded liabilitie that we are not aware of and his deision is a toe in the water press release. Very interesing.

And what will they do when gas prices go up again?

Jesus, I thought Ford was on track a few years back but this is just a mess. I seriously thought it was a Onion headline when I read it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Ford is missing something here. While crossovers and SUVs are in demand a lot of Toyota Camry’s get sold every year.
Camry sales number aren't helping Ford. I don't know very many people with American brand sedans.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
OMG. How could we have a Glut of Oil?
What about Peak oil? What about running out of oil?
Always a farce. Oil is infinite and that was the best kept secret and lie of the twenith Century.

The stability of the scenario in which it is removed from the ground is not.

Hard sales numbers would be nice.
Drop the Ford cars...concentrate on "up-cars", CUV's, SUV's, truck frame products.
When the big boys raise fuel prices Ford'll be able to import what they need (I suppose) while they retool for smaller cars.

Do keep in mind that the robots which make 'em are universally and rapidly retoolable.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I'm sure you'll still be willing to back that statement up in another year, after prices have exceeded $100/bbl.. right?

Man, I hope you're so right and I'm so wrong, because my day job is in O&G and I can't count the number of grown men (and women) that would actually dance a nifty little jig if your predictions are correct!!!

But if my statement is correct, I'm sure you would be more than willing to do likewise.

Turnabout is, after all my friend, fair play!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back