Ford Super Duty Luxury Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know someone with both of those and a Shelby and a bunch of off road machines/toys ...
High income and good investments ... rock on

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Ford F-750. Go big or go home!
laugh.gif

OMG, that looks like a frog on wheels.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

OMG, that looks like a frog on wheels.

I owned a few MDT's (International, Ford, GMC Topkick) for a previous Business. With a 24-26' box on the back, they are good for hauling relatively light freight. They are all miserable to drive.

Originally Posted By: whip
The same people that think it's crazy to spend 90,000 on a luxury truck think spending 120,000 on an S class MB is cool. I'll never understand the double standard.

Which of these two would offer the average buyer more daily utility as well as lower cost of ownership over 100K?
Which would have lower depreciation and which will be available for less than 20K when five years old?
Of course, as my old buddy in the parts business is fond of saying, they're cheap used because nothing works.
Nobody buys a 3/4 or ton truck just because they like the look. People buy these because they need the hauling and towing capability. To want the truck to be a nice place in which to spend many hours seems pretty reasonable.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Or, you can have the fancy loaded truck, a luxury car, a more expensive sports car, some impractical motorcycles, and an even more expensive RV to pull behind the fancy truck. Oh, and some practical everyday-type cars. Then of course you'll need a house with the garage space for said toys..

Bottom line: Why does anyone care how someone else spends their money?

If you have the money to drop $90,000 on a luxury Med/HD truck... your RV will pull itself, you would own the slip at the boatyard, and have your motorcycles/sports cars transported by professionals to your other homes.

I kinda get the luxury light-duty truck (cod pieces) but a medium duty truck is more of a tool than personal transport. That is why they were excluded from CAFE foe 40 years. Now with them becoming personal transport, we got to rope them in. Heck, most light-duty trucks have more than enough capacity for more luxury activities needed for towing, etc. Back to the luxury HD truck... why? Is it just to have a bigger number on the tailgate? It is a "luxury" tool? I get some creature comforts on tractors and harvesters if you are spending 12+hour in them... but an HD truck? If you are spending that time or need that "luxury" for a medium duty truck, you are swindling or need to rethink your business practices.

I don't care if they are paying cash (financing is another issue for another day)... but I still get to make fun of the ridiculous life decisions.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This. There is so much envy and malice here towards money/success. If I work for it and want a few toys whose business is that?

Mine and mine alone. Everyone is where they are exactly because of what they did. And if you don't like where you are then get off your behind and change things.

What malice? My comment was directed at the logic behind buying a "tool" and buying a luxury item. Anyone trying to justify a useful luxury item needs to be slapped.

Not "everyone" is where they are because of what "they" did or didn't do. Go ahead and delete they myth from your brain. That smacks of privilege. It sounds like it came from someone who had the advantages along the way rather than someone who had to grind it out. Most folks with (real) money now-a-days didn't work for it...

Originally Posted By: whip
The same people that think it's crazy to spend 90,000 on a luxury truck think spending 120,000 on an S class MB is cool. I'll never understand the double standard.

Then you can not understand the difference between a tool and a luxury good. It comes down to its intended use.

If you are buying an S-Class, you are buying luxury transport. Period. Nothing more. The whole point of that is to travel in comfort and that is exactly what it is designed to do.

Now, an HD truck is NOT in any circumstances a luxury experience, it has be defined as a utilitarian good... or tool. This is exactly the concept of "lipstick on a pig". No matter what you do to that vehicle, if it remains, drive and provide the driving experience of a HD truck... that you spent MORE money to obtain. It will not ride better than the base model nor will it provide all that much luxury improvement. What are you getting? Better touch surfaces? Just the capacity needs and engineering to make it capable for provide X amount of capacity will diminish it's ability to be a luxury experience. It is not about spending $XXX,XXX vs $XXX,XXX. You can spend more on a more capable tool than for a luxury good and that is fine... but if your carpenter shows up with golden-plated tool, you would probably think it crazy. If they showed up tools made with with more expensive German virgin steel, not so much.

Again, it is not the item that is crazy, it is the intended use. I am betting that 99.9999% of those opting for these HD luxury trucks are not using the HD capacity. It is more of a cod piece and to show off a bigger number on their tailgate. They could probably have just bought a Prius and handled their towing/hauling needs. However, those with HD trucks (like my family) just shake our heads as we have our 3500 and 2500 for hauling cattle and then our Buicks for personal transport. Why put "general driving" wear-and-tear on a tool?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Or, you can have the fancy loaded truck, a luxury car, a more expensive sports car, some impractical motorcycles, and an even more expensive RV to pull behind the fancy truck. Oh, and some practical everyday-type cars. Then of course you'll need a house with the garage space for said toys..

Bottom line: Why does anyone care how someone else spends their money?

If you have the money to drop $90,000 on a luxury Med/HD truck... your RV will pull itself, you would own the slip at the boatyard, and have your motorcycles/sports cars transported by professionals to your other homes.

I kinda get the luxury light-duty truck (cod pieces) but a medium duty truck is more of a tool than personal transport. That is why they were excluded from CAFE foe 40 years. Now with them becoming personal transport, we got to rope them in. Heck, most light-duty trucks have more than enough capacity for more luxury activities needed for towing, etc. Back to the luxury HD truck... why? Is it just to have a bigger number on the tailgate? It is a "luxury" tool? I get some creature comforts on tractors and harvesters if you are spending 12+hour in them... but an HD truck? If you are spending that time or need that "luxury" for a medium duty truck, you are swindling or need to rethink your business practices.

I don't care if they are paying cash (financing is another issue for another day)... but I still get to make fun of the ridiculous life decisions.

Thank you for pontificating your opinion. I will go forth a better man for having read it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
There is so much envy and malice here towards money/success.

I don't think that's it at all. In fact, it's just the opposite. First off, who's to say they are "successful"? Just because they went into massive debt to buy some $90K depreciating vehicle, they'll be making huge payments on until the cows come home. And by the time they pay it off, it won't be worth 20% of what they paid for it, when you include all the interest.

You can call that a lot of things, but "envy" isn't one of them. People today tend to be financially irresponsible, and live way beyond their means. They buy everything they see. If they were so "successful" in the first place, they would write a check for the thing. Not mortgage their financial life away on it. It's the same with real estate. When I bought my first house in the 70's, I had to put 20% down, or the bank wouldn't even talk to me about a conventional mortgage. And I couldn't have any other credit card debt, or car payments either. Today the guy 2 doors down from me just paid $205,000.00 for the house. He put nothing down. I sure wouldn't call that "success".

This is all going 100 MPH down a dead end road. And when we get to the end, there is going to be a massive financial wreck. People doing this today aren't "successful". They're just putting on a show with someone else's money. The lending institutions are just being foolish in handing out borrowed money. This caused the massive 2008 housing train wreck. They didn't learn a thing from it. They've gone right back to their foolish lending principals of, "no money down".

Today the average American is 1 paycheck away from being homeless.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-are-one-paycheck-away-from-the-street-2015-01-07

The average U.S. household owes $16,061 in credit card debt, up from 10% from $14,546 from 2006. And driving an $85K truck is only going to make their financial situation worse. That is anything but "successful". It's a financial disaster waiting to happen. I don't know how these people sleep at night. I sure wouldn't if I was in their financial position. And I don't "envy" them.... I pity them.

^^^^

How do you know the financial situation of everyone? Who says everyone that buys a 90K truck, or any other depreciating asset, took out a loan to do so?

Just maybe the people buying these trucks, can do so without taking out a loan, or in any way putting themselves in dire financial straights.

Whether it's an AMG Benz.... or pickup truck with the optional $10,000 glitter and glam limited edition package,

some people can afford it cash and others are financing it for 84 months.

Lots of people are cash poor and can't afford to come up with $10,000 cash without borrowing it.

^^^^ How do you know the financial situation of everyone? Who says everyone that buys a 90K truck, or any other depreciating asset, took out a loan to do so?

Because statistics prove it. What percentage of people walk into a dealership and pay cash? It's a very small amount. Many aren't even eligible to qualify for a loan, because they don't have a sufficient down payment. So they lease, (i.e. rent). Then in 3 years they have to give the car back, and walk with nothing. Do you actually think they would be doing this if they could afford otherwise?

This country complains about how our government spends and wastes money. Yet the bulk of the citizenry does the same thing. Spends money they don't have on depreciating assets they don't need. Sure if some guy has his house paid for. And he's got a few hundred thousand in the sock. And he decides he wants a $85K truck. No big deal. But walk into a dealership and ask a salesmen how many of those vehicles he's sold that way. And he'll be able to count them on the fingers of one hand.

If the average household is holding over $16K in credit card debt alone. Do you honestly think they are running around paying cash for new vehicles? People can live however they want. It's a free country. But that doesn't change the financial mess they're in. Most can't even put together $500 bucks in cash for an emergency. They buy homes with little to nothing down. Every year most spend more than they make. So how can they be saving anything running in the red all the time? And it's always easier to spend the banks money, than your own. And unfortunately, that's the way the bulk of the population in this country lives. And that is anything but "successful".

Originally Posted By: billt460
^^^^ How do you know the financial situation of everyone? Who says everyone that buys a 90K truck, or any other depreciating asset, took out a loan to do so?

Because statistics prove it. What percentage of people walk into a dealership and pay cash? It's a very small amount. Many aren't even eligible to qualify for a loan, because they don't have a sufficient down payment. So they lease, (i.e. rent). Then in 3 years they have to give the car back, and walk with nothing. Do you actually think they would be doing this if they could afford otherwise?

This country complains about how our government spends and wastes money. Yet the bulk of the citizenry does the same thing. Spends money they don't have on depreciating assets they don't need. Sure if some guy has his house paid for. And he's got a few hundred thousand in the sock. And he decides he wants a $85K truck. No big deal. But walk into a dealership and ask a salesmen how many of those vehicles he's sold that way. And he'll be able to count them on the fingers of one hand.

If the average household is holding over $16K in credit card debt alone. Do you honestly think they are running around paying cash for new vehicles? People can live however they want. It's a free country. But that doesn't change the financial mess they're in. Most can't even put together $500 bucks in cash for an emergency. They buy homes with little to nothing down. Every year most spend more than they make. So how can they be saving anything running in the red all the time? And it's always easier to spend the banks money, than your own. And unfortunately, that's the way the bulk of the population in this country lives. And that is anything but "successful".

Yes, there are lots of people that don't understand basic economic principles. Plenty of people that don't understand living within their means.

That doesn't apply to everyone.

You might be surprised to hear that big ticket items, be they expensive cars, trucks, houses, etc., are in fact often bought outright.

$16,000 average CC debt for a household?
That seems a little high.

------------

Yes, some people can afford big ticket purchases paid in cash.

I will say this,the current top of the line loaded F-150's are about the smoothest and most quiet vehicles I've ever driven.

You all are missing the point. Or can't see past the notion that a truck is a low end rough tool.

The prices seem high but price out a King Ranch - already close to these #'s. And I'm sure they will have discounts on them as well. They will sell in small #'s and are a simple thing to add - probably costs Ford next to nothing to tool up for them.

These trucks will sell in limited numbers to those that can afford them. The guy barely making ends meet will never get qualified for a $90k+ loan with its sky high payments. And nobody will write a 15-30 year car loan to get it in the affordable range. And if they do they deserve to go out of business. Similar to how those same people are not buying $60-90k+ Audis, BMW's, Bez's, Porsches, etc.

The target market is not the farmer taking the cattle to the slaughterhouse, the construction worker, etc. Think the retired folks who bought the nice 5th wheel and will pull it cross country and use the truck as transportation. Or the Full Time RVer who doesn't want the hassle of a motorhome. Or the guy hauling his thouroughbreads from race to race. Those that want a nice place to park their butts for 8, 10, 12, etc. hours at a time. Sure they could do it with an XL with vinyl floors, no sound deadening, cloth seats, and all that junk but why? They want a nicely appointed tool....

Fiscally it's no different than buying that Porsche, Vette, used Lambo, etc. A waste of $$ no matter how you slice it or whose name is on the side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
You all are missing the point. Or can't see past the notion that a truck is a low end rough tool.

The prices seem high but price out a King Ranch - already close to these #'s. And I'm sure they will have discounts on them as well. They will sell in small #'s and are a simple thing to add - probably costs Ford next to nothing to tool up for them.

These trucks will sell in limited numbers to those that can afford them. The guy barely making ends meet will never get qualified for a $90k+ loan with its sky high payments. And nobody will write a 15-30 year car loan to get it in the affordable range. And if they do they deserve to go out of business. Similar to how those same people are not buying $60-90k+ Audis, BMW's, Bez's, Porsches, etc.

The target market is not the farmer taking the cattle to the slaughterhouse, the construction worker, etc. Think the retired folks who bought the nice 5th wheel and will pull it cross country and use the truck as transportation. Or the Full Time RVer who doesn't want the hassle of a motorhome. Or the guy hauling his thouroughbreads from race to race. Those that want a nice place to park their butts for 8, 10, 12, etc. hours at a time. Sure they could do it with an XL with vinyl floors, no sound deadening, cloth seats, and all that junk but why? They want a nicely appointed tool....

There are at least a few of us here that understand that.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Fiscally it's no different than buying that Porsche, Vette, used Lambo, etc. A waste of $$ no matter how you slice it or whose name is on the side.

I guess it is possible to agree with anyone at a certain point in time. Well said.

With regards to the topic at hand:

Of the 9 personal vehicles I own, 2 of them are luxurious HD trucks. Why? Because I'm an American, and I darn well can because I darn well want to.

Other reasons? I spend a LOT of time with my butt in the seat of my trucks. Why should I have to step out of my Porsche, Benz, or Lexus, and then get into one of my trucks (where I spend most of my time, for real heavy duty work) and suddenly find myself in a featureless cave? I have high-package HD because I like the same amenities as I enjoy in my other vehicles. It would be pretty dumb for me to have all of my amenities in the vehicles I drive the least, and have the ones I drive the most treat me to Spartan driving experience.

This is not uncommon at all down here. I know a lot of business owners who have high package HD's after years of driving stripped work trucks.

After a hard long day of busting my hump, I like to like to get into something comfortable and nice. Why in the world shouldn't I reward myself?

An HD truck is not strictly a tool if I'm the one paying for it. It's my property, and it will be whatever I want it to be. I'll park that thing in my back yard and turn it into a flower pot or a swimming pool if I say so. It's my money and my truck.

I understand a lot of people have this image of HD trucks being a stripped down "just the business" utility that has the driver as an afterthought, but that's called an "ideal". We all know how ideals fit into reality.

This other ideal that a luxury truck is an image thing for milquetoasts who want to look tough? GTFO. We were below decks in a 3 foot high, 127°F engine bay today dragging out Group 31 and 8D batteries. I don't need to drive some stripped down truck to prove I'm a man who works. I don't have enough unblemished skin on my hands to make a decent key fob. Forget what my truck looks like.

My trucks? Let's just say they're no strangers to 8 ton boats on top of 3 ton trailers. I've got new rear spring packs on the way because the currents ones are starting to lose a little arc.

I'm just not going to deny myself things to fit in with some arcane ideal of what a truck should be.

^^^^^

Yep.

Regarding your new spring packs. If you were so inclined, the new trucks can be optioned with air bags. It's nice to hook up the 5th wheel and set it to alternate ride height, and the truck will level itself. It rolls down the road nice and smooth at 35k GCVW. Which is still about 5k under GCVWR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back