Ford Super Duty Luxury Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, well... uggg.

Maybe it is just me (fairly anti-lux truck) but I just can't deal with this crud.

Don't get me wrong. I borrowed my father-in-law's Chevy 2500 to move pallets of insulation (and getting a "new" old project truck) but the idea of spending "nawth" of 90K for a luxury HD truck is bonkers. You don't drop that money on a "tool" but I guess that is where I am thinking incorrectly.

At this price-point, you can easily purchase a mid-high trim luxury car and a well-equipped HD truck... and save the wear/tear of tool and have a better luxury experience. Everyone is out of the GD mind to purchase this thing... but then again, sound reasoning is not required for purchase.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
You know, well... uggg.

Maybe it is just me (fairly anti-lux truck) but I just can't deal with this crud.

Don't get me wrong. I borrowed my father-in-law's Chevy 2500 to move pallets of insulation (and getting a "new" old project truck) but the idea of spending "nawth" of 90K for a luxury HD truck is bonkers. You don't drop that money on a "tool" but I guess that is where I am thinking incorrectly.

At this price-point, you can easily purchase a mid-high trim luxury car and a well-equipped HD truck... and save the wear/tear of tool and have a better luxury experience. Everyone is out of the GD mind to purchase this thing... but then again, sound reasoning is not required for purchase.

Or, you can have the fancy loaded truck, a luxury car, a more expensive sports car, some impractical motorcycles, and an even more expensive RV to pull behind the fancy truck. Oh, and some practical everyday-type cars. Then of course you'll need a house with the garage space for said toys..

Bottom line: Why does anyone care how someone else spends their money?

I kind of feel bad for some of the people buying the diesel versions.

Spend $90,000 on a nice truck then when the turbo, $8000 fuel pump, or $10,000 exhaust system takes a dump they are left with a huge bill on an already expensive truck.

On a smaller scale, a friend of mine bought a 2004 Duramax truck a few years ago for $15000. Within a few months it needed a transmission ($5,000). He then tuned it, which destroyed the transmission. The transmission warranty is void because of the tuning, so he spent another $5,000. At that point he had $25000 into a truck that was still 11 years old at the time with 150k miles that needed new tires and front suspension parts. Not a good thing when you live in the North East where vehicles are on borrowed time after 5 years because of the salt.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Like I said in the coal rolling thread, it's all about insecurities. Nothing is more masculine than a truck.

I find those kind of trucks to be completely effeminate. They'll always have their pastel purple or pink halos around the headlights with matching suspension. Pink duck heads and deer heads,spotless faux work boots riding bedside,their favorite Tupperware stickers all over the back glass glass giving these companies oodles of free advertising. City cowgirl wannabe's are now doing this too. All while blasting their Puke Bryan cd haha :p

I think Ford is pretty smart, there's lots of people with tons of money who want to show off a bit, but don't want the image or PITA of owning some expensive european SUV. Plus the truck can actually do a bit of work and tow the 6 figure RV or horse trailer.
I guess its conspicuous consumption with some practicality, which increases the number of people who will buy it. I see Ford ducked the 100k mark which would draw more ridicule than profit.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Like I said in the coal rolling thread, it's all about insecurities. Nothing is more masculine than a truck.

And I know people if given the choice between a King Ranch/Platinum F150 or a Range Rover, you can guess what they'll pick.

OR, there are people buying these well-optioned trucks because they need the capabilities of a truck, and like the comfort/luxury features too. Or, maybe they just want a truck.

Either way, as long as we live in a somewhat free country, people are allowed to make decisions for themselves. Regardless of those that feel they have some Orwellian right to tell others how to live.

Or tell others how to post?

My only question is should these posh, glamour vehicles still be considered a "pickup truck" or should they be titled with something that recognizes their fufu-ness? Perhaps along the line of King Ranch and Harley Davidson editions these could be called the "Starbucks Latte" or the "Macy's Limited"?

As I understand it, they have a special platform along the armrest for little lapdogs to put their front paws on while the owner drives to the Salon.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

And I know people if given the choice between a King Ranch/Platinum F150 or a Range Rover, you can guess what they'll pick.

OR, there are people buying these well-optioned trucks because they need the capabilities of a truck, and like the comfort/luxury features too. Or, maybe they just want a truck.

Either way, as long as we live in a somewhat free country, people are allowed to make decisions for themselves. Regardless of those that feel they have some Orwellian right to tell others how to live.

My only question is should these posh, glamour vehicles still be considered a "pickup truck" or should they be titled with something that recognizes their fufu-ness? Perhaps along the line of King Ranch and Harley Davidson editions these could be called the "Starbucks Latte" or the "Macy's Limited"?

As I understand it, they have a special platform along the armrest for little lapdogs to put their front paws on while the owner drives to the Salon.

Haha ArcticDriver I'd vote this for the post of the day! I'll add to it,for the gal's the Macy's Limited Coach Edition,and for the guys the Macy's Limited Ralph Lauren Edition.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Is anyone telling others how to post?

There are no other luxury vehicles offering this level of towing performance so i see it as an open spot in the vehicle market. People buy motorhomes in the 200-300k range all the time so why not a 100k truck and 140k trailer?

Also, there is the "its already expensive" logic. You spend a fortune for the current loaded trucks, why not a few more 10,000s on top?

Ultra luxury may help reduce the cost of the "normal luxury" type trucks. Like a GMC SLT level or Ford Lariat is just fine for me. If they are not near the top maybe they can get more incentives.

Know what you are saying about SLT/Z et al and Ford equivalent (FX4 is hot around here). I found a decent salesman today and said “don’t up sale me” / told me he’s got more trouble with folks up selling themselves / especially when a couple shops together. We got 95% of what we wanted for far less than the “packages” to get an item or two more. All boats rise with the tide and mid level is coming with navigation and interactive safety stuff.
I’m about 50/50 on good dealership experiences / last one s....d / today was a good day / in and out quickly with what we wanted and not poked on trade

Or, you can have the fancy loaded truck, a luxury car, a more expensive sports car, some impractical motorcycles, and an even more expensive RV to pull behind the fancy truck. Oh, and some practical everyday-type cars. Then of course you'll need a house with the garage space for said toys..

This. There is so much envy and malice here towards money/success. If I work for it and want a few toys whose business is that?

Mine and mine alone. Everyone is where they are exactly because of what they did. And if you don't like where you are then get off your behind and change things.

Unless there were significant changes in the last few years, superduty trucks have a completely different ride than do the F150 trucks. Nowhere near as nice a ride.

My guess is that a significant number of superduty owners need the carrying and/or towing capacity of the superduty since there is a lot to be desired in the ride of those heavier vehicles, I had a 2002 superduty 250, it had an unladen weight of 5750 pounds. It drove like the truck that it was, with gas mileage of 10 to 12 miles to the galllon in mixed driving with a 4.10 rear axle.

Whatever the market will bear. Some Ford exec, when commenting on $50,000 and $60,000 trucks a few years ago, simply noted that they (Ford) had not found the upper end of the market yet. My guess is they still haven't.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The price isn't what surprises me. Its the 50% figure of buyers getting these Uber fancy trucks.

Unfortunately many people make impulse purchases and really don't need an Uber fancy truck with the optional 'glitter and glam' package and are up to their eyeballs in debt for 72-84 months.

As long as people are buying these expensive trucks / SUVs they will keep getting more expensive.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Unless there were significant changes in the last few years, superduty trucks have a completely different ride than do the F150 trucks. Nowhere near as nice a ride.

My guess is that a significant number of superduty owners need the carrying and/or towing capacity of the superduty since there is a lot to be desired in the ride of those heavier vehicles, I had a 2002 superduty 250, it had an unladen weight of 5750 pounds. It drove like the truck that it was, with gas mileage of 10 to 12 miles to the galllon in mixed driving with a 4.10 rear axle.

3/4 and 1 ton trucks definitely have a firmer ride than most 1/2 tons. But they all ride much more smoothly than the respective category trucks of 20 years ago. The new trucks are also far more capable than those trucks of 20 years ago, too.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

This. There is so much envy and malice here towards money/success. If I work for it and want a few toys whose business is that?

Mine and mine alone. Everyone is where they are exactly because of what they did. And if you don't like where you are then get off your behind and change things.

+100% as well. Major sentiment here against someone spending money on a new car or truck. BUT-if you look at the average of vehicles in signatures you can see where they are coming from.

"Mr Nice" (post above) chimes in EVERY TIME one of these posts pop up-with his famous glitter and glame" line.

Yep-you don't need "power windows, power seats, Bose sound, rear view camera, leather, chrome wheels"-but they are just nice to have and I just like them. BUT I DON'T NEED THEM!

OH....and I REALLY LIKE commercial free satellite radio!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Ford F-750. Go big or go home!
laugh.gif

Nah. Less power than my '17 Dually, not nearly as nice to drive, and in that configuration, too tall for the 5th wheel.

I agree to a large extent with you CKN.

One thing to remember guys... These types of trucks have been available for a long time now. My step father bought a Ford Lariat which was a "rather nice high end truck" when it came out in 1989.. It had what was the best package available at that time compared to the lesser F 150s and other Ford truck offerings as well.So, the truck a fair amount nicer than it's contemporaries is nothing new. It's just that the high end trucks of today have a lot more stuff in them. Which... If something goes wrong it is very expensive to repair as already noted.

The same people that think it's crazy to spend 90,000 on a luxury truck think spending 120,000 on an S class MB is cool. I'll never understand the double standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back