FORD S-MAX MOTOR OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have recently owned second hand Ford S-Max, 2000cc 240 hp gasoline, 2012 model.

In manual, it advices to use 5w-30 synthetic motor oil. I live in Maputo, so average day degree in 6 months around 35Celcius, another 6 months around 25-28 degrees. Even nights, colder days not decreasing below 14-15 Celcius.

My question is, mostly people using here 10w-40 or 5w-40 for those kind of cars. Is there any big difference to use these oils in this climate condition? I want to use what manual says but want to confirm also, I do not have too much info about motor oils.

If you are nice to the car, I would use a higher hths 10Wx30 or even 10Wx40 synthetic but forget the 5W.
Use A3/B4 like what Bailes1992 said. It should have higher hths.

What a nice forum! Thanks for replies.

Forgot to add info, car is at 60.000 km if something changes. But as i understand everyone is telling me forget about "5w-30" what manual says? Then I am going to choose between 5W-40/10W-40.

And your engines's temp is about 100 C.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I live in Florida (it's hot there) . We've discovered that an oil more viscous than the OEM's recommended oil is often a good idea. The rest of the country gets down to freezing temps. We don't. We see 26C in winter and 35C in summer.

The number of oil related failures is higher than many on this forum like to admit. General Motors had a rash of timing chain and balancer chain failures, due to thin oil and extended oil change intervals. Not surprisingly, their fix was to use a more viscous oil and change more frequently. Ford's engines have similar timing chain and cam phaser knock issues. The fix is again, more viscosity and more frequent oil changes. In fact, the local Ford dealership went from 5w-20 oil (the oil required on many Fords here) to 10w-40 synthetic, along with 5000 mile (8000km) (It was 10,000 mile) oil change intervals, and quite simply, eliminated the cam phaser and chain problems. Hyundai/Kia cars had a large number fail right at 100,000 miles, (160k KM) due again to insufficient lubrication. The owners manual may or may not be what you need to follow.

Manufacturers may not have an interest in ensuring your engine lasts for 1,000,000 KM.

While Honda is very highly regarded, even Honda is having problems with their new 1.5L turbo engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
5w-30 will be fine. Here in the USA we run 0w-20,5w-20,5w-30 in the hottest places that reach 51C.

Yeah tell me about it. That area of the State's is where OEM's torture test water grade 20's and the engines are within new specs upon tear down.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. We didn't start having engine and oil issues until consumers demanded and manufacturers built high energy density engines. CAFE xw-20 oils were working just fine for the most part. Most vehicles are traded or destroyed before owners saw long term results of these oils. I know, there are millions of them running around with tons of mileage. 5/10w-30 oils have been working for many, many years with great reliability. I think even in Australia were they insist on using Xw40 oils there would be no problems using a Xw-30 oil.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I live in Florida (it's hot there) . We've discovered that an oil more viscous than the OEM's recommended oil is often a good idea. The rest of the country gets down to freezing temps. We don't. We see 26C in winter and 35C in summer.

The number of oil related failures is higher than many on this forum like to admit. General Motors had a rash of timing chain and balancer chain failures, due to thin oil and extended oil change intervals. Not surprisingly, their fix was to use a more viscous oil and change more frequently. Ford's engines have similar timing chain and cam phaser knock issues. The fix is again, more viscosity and more frequent oil changes. In fact, the local Ford dealership went from 5w-20 oil (the oil required on many Fords here) to 10w-40 synthetic, along with 5000 mile (8000km) (It was 10,000 mile) oil change intervals, and quite simply, eliminated the cam phaser and chain problems. Hyundai/Kia cars had a large number fail right at 100,000 miles, (160k KM) due again to insufficient lubrication. The owners manual may or may not be what you need to follow.

Manufacturers may not have an interest in ensuring your engine lasts for 1,000,000 KM.

While Honda is very highly regarded, even Honda is having problems with their new 1.5L turbo engines.

And dealerships in Arizona follow the manufacturers recommendation and 35C is a cool summer day. There is data for engine failures and the failure rate is at less than 1% and the highest failure rates among OEM's is de German's and thier thicker oil recommendations which is over 1%. Honda for example has a .3% engine failure rate and BMW is nearly 2%.

I think we need to see the service bulletins from Chevrolet and Ford that show the cure for timing chain wear is thicker oil.

I don't mind using 40 weight oil and I don't care if anyone else does or not, but if thicker oil minimizes timing chain wear we need to se the scientific proof. Service bulletins are a good place to start.
smile.gif

Hi Maputocar, sounds like this is the 2.0l Ecoboost engine?
Some Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) engines have issues with Low Speed PreIgnition (LSPI) in certain circumstances. My Subaru was recalled for LSPI, but the prevailing opinion on here seems to be that the Ecoboosts don't seem to have a major issue with it...I can find Ford enthusiast threads talking about Ecoboost F150s blowing their engines pretty dramatically with LSPI being suspected, though. GM had a serious LSPI issue with the 1.5l DIT engine in the Malibu a few years ago, that is probably the most notable vehicle that has suffered from this problem.
GM developed the dexos1 Gen 2 (d1G2) and dexos2 (d2) oil standards to help minimize the occurrence of LSPI and API came out with SN PLUS for the same reason, as it turns that oil composition can be a big factor in promoting or retarding LSPI. I don't know if oils that meet those standards are widely available in Mozambique, though. Oils that meet these standards tend to have low concentrations of calcium-based additives and near zero levels of sodium-based additives.
There is some suspicion that LSPI issues are less common in Europe and it may be that high zinc oils (including A3/B4) that tend to be used there are helping, as LSPI goes down dramatically with increasing ZDDP concentration. It is worth noting that GM was recommending dexos2 oils for their gas engines in Europe and is now starting to introduce dexos1 Gen 2 recommendations there, though.

Ford has been relatively silent about LSPI and it may be because their Ecoboosts are not particularly susceptible to that problem...even though I drive a Subaru and not a GM product, I still have been using d1G2 oils since they were introduced here and even identified low calcium Mobil 1 oils to use before that. Everybody has their particular obsessions, I guess...

Good luck!

Hello, I own a 2.0 ecoboost and have had no issues running the 5w30 in it my current fill is Amsoil SS 5W30. 5w30 will do just fine in the ecoboost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back