Ford Powerstroke 6.7 Motorcraft FL2051S

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I was reading all of these replies about the MC oil filter in this post. And, a thought came into my mind. How many people do you think, in the US, do a filter cut and inspection? How many people in the US DON'T do a filter cut and inspection, yet, they keep using the same oil filter and their vehicle NEVER has an engine problem the whole time they own it? Please, don't beat me up too bad, but do you think just because we are members here that we are fascinated by the workings of an oil filter and make our decisions about what to use and not use just from a cut and inspection? What about all those that NEVER do a cut and inspection, yet they seem to not have any problems? Do you think we over react to cut and inpections and the decisions we make from said task? To most, it's just fun to do. What we/they find is informative, and we/they can learn from it.
It was just a thought.
Carry on with cut and inspections.
smile.gif

Would you rather make your oil filter use decisions on cut & posts (and other info like efficiency numbers, flow vs delat-p, etc) or by the number of blown up engines reported?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I was reading all of these replies about the MC oil filter in this post. And, a thought came into my mind. How many people do you think, in the US, do a filter cut and inspection? How many people in the US DON'T do a filter cut and inspection, yet, they keep using the same oil filter and their vehicle NEVER has an engine problem the whole time they own it? Please, don't beat me up too bad, but do you think just because we are members here that we are fascinated by the workings of an oil filter and make our decisions about what to use and not use just from a cut and inspection? What about all those that NEVER do a cut and inspection, yet they seem to not have any problems? Do you think we over react to cut and inpections and the decisions we make from said task? To most, it's just fun to do. What we/they find is informative, and we/they can learn from it.
It was just a thought.
Carry on with cut and inspections.
smile.gif

Would you rather make your oil filter use decisions on cut & posts (and other info like efficiency numbers, flow vs delat-p, etc) or by the number of blown up engines reported?
wink.gif

It was just a thought.

BOF - I agree there are many people who have no idea what's going on inside the oil filters they use, and have no idea that there might be a problem with the quality of the filters they use. But members here get the real info and hopefully decide to use a filter they see as doing what they want it to do.

Your are correct 2015_PSD. I guess I don't understand what exactly is being filtered in the oil. Yes, plenty of strong TBN reports. More of a curious thought...sorry to derail the thread. Back to cut and inspections.

Can you link me to your cut open Donaldson (if you ever did that)?

Just picked up a 2020 6.7L F350 and I'm researching what filters I want to use. Looking like the Donaldson P502503 is the leader so far.

Do you know if the drainback valve is needed on this engine? From what i'm reading it looks like there is also a checkball mounted in the filter housing assembly that serves this purpose. I very well may be wrong, I'm brand new to Ford diesels and still in preschool here.

Can you link me to your cut open Donaldson (if you ever did that)?

Just picked up a 2020 6.7L F350 and I'm researching what filters I want to use. Looking like the Donaldson P502503 is the leader so far.

Do you know if the drainback valve is needed on this engine? From what i'm reading it looks like there is also a checkball mounted in the filter housing assembly that serves this purpose. I very well may be wrong, I'm brand new to Ford diesels and still in preschool here.
I've posted at least 4 of the Donaldson c&p here, just search my un. I have another probably by the end of the week.

It's a quality filter, I like them and buy by the case when I find them cheap enough. Otherwise the motorcraft will work just fine.

Why is anyone changing the oil on a 6.7PSD at 4,300 miles??? Waste of time and money. Buy the cheapest filter that fits and the cheapest oil and drive it pedal to the floor until the truck tells you to change the oil. I hate to see so much waste. To each their own of course. I just don’t get it. I wish I could collect the OPs used oil and filters. I’d put them on my tow trucks and run them. Fleets never do these crazy low OCIs and buy premium filters and get literally hundreds of thousands of miles out of an engine.

Put the money in your pocket not in the truck for not a single bit of return. My tow trucks run just as good on no name bulk oil and jobber filters and I’m paying probably a quarter of what many of you are paying for maintenance.

I just don’t get it.

Right now the cheapest and best filter available for the PSD is the STP10890ML at Autozone. They are online and at stores for $4.00 on sale marked down from $16.99 and are a 15,000 mile synthetic media filter. I just scored 150 of the mid-grade 10,000 mile STP extended life Blended media filters for $2.50 each. They were considered unsellable by AZ because of torn boxes, missing the plastic wrapping and / or being dropped and slightly dented. This will be the first time ever I’ve put a “premium” filter on my fleet of trucks.

Well I can't say I'm that happy about the way it looks after only 4300 miles of service. This is the only picture worth posting as the rest of the filter looked ok, ADBV was nice and pliable. End cap was beefy, but so was the Hyundai Filter that I cut along side it (almost the exact same weight). Also confirmed with another post around here speaking that this filter could possibly be synthetic media, debunked that myth.

It is what it is... Glad I spun on a Donaldson this time...

xuhWnEN.jpg

EDIT : For whatever reason (forum noob) I uploaded the photos and now they refuse to show up. So let me figure this out real quick.
How many hours are on the oil? Sometimes due to application you have to forget mileage and strictly go by hours

How many hours are on the oil? Sometimes due to application you have to forget mileage and strictly go by hours
It would not matter. The MC PSD filter is long and has unsupported filter media. I have not seen one yet that did not look this bad or worse. I ran CarQuest Blues when I had my PSD and they had wire backed synthetic media.

Back