FORD MAY SIMPLY KILL THE FUSION IN THE U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this speculation is based on Automotive News forgetting that the Fusion is also made in Flat Rock, MI, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: khittner
Who cares? Buy a Camry if you want an American car.

The Toyota Camry is not an American car....Its a Japanese car that is built in a Japanese owned factory in America for a Japanese Company. Anybody that calls that American is truly sick in their own mind and could never ever know what it means to have any sort of pride in your country or It's companies.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
All this speculation is based on Automotive News forgetting that the Fusion is also made in Flat Rock, MI, isn't it?

They stopped making it in Flat Rock in 2016 when the sales numbers plummeted.

Wasn't that production line retooled for the Lincoln Continental last year?

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule

The Toyota Camry is not an American car....Its a Japanese car that is built in a Japanese owned factory in America for a Japanese Company. Anybody that calls that American is truly sick in their own mind and could never ever know what it means to have any sort of pride in your country or It's companies.

A Japanese company with lots of US shareholders using more American-sourced components from American owned companies than most "domestic" manufacturers, producing engines, transmissions, body parts, etc. in the US and supporting a very large R&D organization based here.

Compare that to a Ford Fusion: huge foreign parts content (most engines, for example), assembled in Mexico with Mexican-sourced body parts. And let's not forget the car was designed and engineered by Ford in Germany.

I, for one, am pretty proud of the U.S workers who work in Toyota/Honda, etc plants and the engineers and scientists than work in their US R&D centers. It's too bad US manufacturers don't share your pride in country and its companies.

Ford has not built a truly competitive family car in many years IMO, I don't see the loss. They should just let Lincoln die off quietly without any fanfare, putting lipstick on pig doesn't make it a fox, the consumer knew right away it is just a dressed up over priced commode.

Originally Posted By: Danh

I, for one, am pretty proud of the U.S workers who work in Toyota/Honda, etc plants and the engineers and scientists than work in their US R&D centers. It's too bad US manufacturers don't share your pride in country and its companies.

Don't fool yourself into thinking foreign makes are operating here because they love the country, they'll sell us that bit and make us feel good, but they couldn't care less about national pride. I agree that creating jobs here is great, but they're not doing it to keep Ohio and Kentucky working, it's all about economics and logistics.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Ford has not built a truly competitive family car in many years IMO, I don't see the loss. They should just let Lincoln die off quietly without any fanfare, putting lipstick on pig doesn't make it a fox, the consumer knew right away it is just a dressed up over priced commode.

lol.gif
Zing

Ford has not built a truly competitive family car in many years IMO,

I disagree. I rent the fusion and fusion hybwid with regularity. They are excellent cars. Clearly, the Camry is more reliable. But the Fusion drives better, much better. If I were in the market, I'd purchase the one with better driving dynamics.

They should just let Lincoln die off quietly without any fanfare, putting lipstick on pig doesn't make it a fox, the consumer knew right away it is just a dressed up over priced commode.

Just like with Cadillac, Uber and rental/limo fleets are keeping them alive. The local Lincoln dealer doesn't look like they move cars but I do see Navigators and Continentals with limo/airport permits or Uber placards almost everyday.

Cadillac's biggest market is China.

A Japanese company with lots of US shareholders using more American-sourced components from American owned companies than most "domestic" manufacturers, producing engines, transmissions, body parts, etc. in the US and supporting a very large R&D organization based here.

Your reasoning is perverse.

This is for 2016. Danh is spot on here.

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-2016-carscom-american-made-index-1420684865874/

Putting the lid down doesn't turn the bog into a picnic table. You might as well judge the ride quality and handling of a E series MB based on a under powered fleet taxi.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Companies and federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies might care. Fusion is quite popular as a fleet car for companies, and as a detective car for pd's due to it's low cost, efficiency, low maintenance, and ruggedness. Cheap solid cars that sip fuel (from a fleet perspective) with American branding that government entities need to show in purchasing (even if not built here still wears badging of domestic manufacturer). And before the "Camry/Accord/ has more actual USA parts content and's made here!!..." argument is proffered, for government entities that answer to the taxpayer it's still important to them to show they've spent tax dollars on an American branded product.

I've seen quite a few Camry's used in various PD's around the Country.

I know that with a PD a friend works for, they have LOTS of problems with the drivetrains of their currently mostly Ford fleet. That's cars, SUV's and trucks.

I've asked him what specifically fails, but he is a Cop, not a Mechanic. He does say that transmission and 4wd system failures are their biggest issues.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Companies and federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies might care. Fusion is quite popular as a fleet car for companies, and as a detective car for pd's due to it's low cost, efficiency, low maintenance, and ruggedness. Cheap solid cars that sip fuel (from a fleet perspective) with American branding that government entities need to show in purchasing (even if not built here still wears badging of domestic manufacturer). And before the "Camry/Accord/ has more actual USA parts content and's made here!!..." argument is proffered, for government entities that answer to the taxpayer it's still important to them to show they've spent tax dollars on an American branded product.

Largely due to dwindling sedan sales, Australia recently lost our Ford, Holden and Toyota plants, and therefore the vehicles they made, which were designed, engineered and built to cope with our conditions. The fleet managers couldn't care less. Once it was widely known that Commodore and Falcon would cease production, the fleets simply stopped buying them. Ironically, lots of them switched to Hybrid Camry's, probably unaware that Aussie production of those was ending too!

Camry is the general duties and detectives police car of choice these days. For highway patrol cars, Victoria Police are replacing Fords and Holdens with 5 Series BMW's. Tasmania went to Subaru Liberty's (Legacy). Other states are apparently evaluating the Kia Stinger. I hope it works out differently in the US, but patriotism didn't help any here, government agencies don't give a hoot about buying the local product, and sadly, neither do the general public.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-2016-carscom-american-made-index-1420684865874/

Here's the 2017 data: https://www.cars.com/articles/the-carscom-2017-american-made-index-1420695680673/

Although cars.com doesn't say how they gather the data other than vague references to content and regulations.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Here's the 2017 data: https://www.cars.com/articles/the-carscom-2017-american-made-index-1420695680673/

Although cars.com doesn't say how they gather the data other than vague references to content and regulations.

They completely changed their methods and took sales numbers out of the picture.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Maybe the hint is..they are going to build it here.

That is my take on what he said. I think the author didn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back