Ford Five-Hundred transmission problem 6 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 7055

I just called Firestone and they won't even change it for me because it's over 90,000 miles and I don't know if it's been changed before. It's apparently part of their policy!

Too many people have tranny problems, have a flush performed and then go back and say that their tranny was ruined because of the flush. Not that I would ever set foot in a Firestone shop, but I really don't blame them.

Do I need to drain and fill it or flush it? And filter change?

Last edited:
Do a couple of drain and fills w/Toyota T-IV or Castrol Multi-vehicle import. It's very easy to do on this car; there's a drain plug and a fill plug, they're both pretty visible. Drain it in neutral after shifting through the gears and you'll get out about 3.75 to 5 qts (total capacity is only 7.X qt). Measure what you took out and put the same amount in, then check the fluid level while warm. It probably wouldn't hurt to try a couple of drain and fills first.

My guess? The solenoids in the valve body are clogged. The hard parts on this transmission are quite durable, but the screens on the solenoids in the valve body can get clogged if you never change the fluid. While Ford won't rebuilt it, most indy transmission shops will, and there's actually an upgraded valve body kit available. 220K on the factory fill? I'd say you got good life out of it. The engine in this car will certainly go another 220K with minimal maintenance, so it's probably worth it to fix it if the rest of the car is in good condition.

So if I understand right I need to drain and fill it multiple times since you only get about 50% of the fluid out with each drain?

So if I understand right I need to drain and fill it multiple times since you only get about 50% of the fluid out with each drain?

Yes.

Just do it once and see if anything changes. If it doesn't change at all, it's probably not a fluid problem.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Yes.

Just do it once and see if anything changes. If it doesn't change at all, it's probably not a fluid problem.

Agree with that one. If it IS better after the drain/fill, I'd do it twice more over a few weeks. If not, look at rebuilding it or a used tranny. I've seen these available used for pretty cheap.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Yes.

Agree with that one. If it IS better after the drain/fill, I'd do it twice more over a few weeks. If not, look at rebuilding it or a used tranny. I've seen these available used for pretty cheap.

Where do you find the used tranny's available?

I changed it and now when I lightly put on the breaks at 35 mph with the rpms a little over 1000 the car shutters

I changed it and now when I lightly put on the breaks at 35 mph with the rpms a little over 1000 the car shutters

Are your other issues still happening?

yes

Then first step would be to go to Ford and get the reprogramming done if that's an option
smile.gif

Are the RPM's increasing at all when you hit the brakes in that situation?

I'm wondering if the issue may be related to the problematic throttle body. There's a recall/TSB for the CVT version, not sure on the 6 speed. Either way, the repair involves cleaning the TB and re-flashing the ECU. You may want to try pulling the TB off and cleaning it first and see what happens. When the throttle plate encounters dirt on the bore it seems that the ECU has trouble dealing with it and it'll do some wonky stuff. Braking at medium speeds seems to be one of the main triggers.

There are no TSBs for any kind of transmission or TCM reprogramming for my VIN

And to answer your question JOD it very well may be. If the rpms increase it is very slight. They didn't have time to perform service for that TSB today.

Same engine and transmission in my Mazda.

My car will punish you if you are sloppy with the throttle in certain conditions. The Aisin will bang down hard. If I use the manual gate, I can be as aggressive or sloppy as I want with the throttle and it won't do that so I guess it's something in the TCM programming. I don't think the Five Hundred has a manual gate though.
21.gif

For the shudder? Add a bottle of LubeGard red. It's not going to make it any worse.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
220,000 miles on T-IV fluid? I guess I'm wasting my time doing drain+refill every 30,000 miles.

The transmission was most likely maintained. It used to be a business vehicle and I highly doubt that they bought the vehicle and decided not to do regular maintenance. I just don't have the records and so everybody has assumed it was never changed.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

For the shudder? Add a bottle of LubeGard red. It's not going to make it any worse.
21.gif

DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT THE SPECIFIED FLUID. USING THAT SNAKE OIL COULD VERY WELL MAKE IT WORSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back