Ford 8F35 transmission anyone have problems?

Just Dropped my Uncle's 2019 Lincoln Nautilus off at the dealer for him (he's out of town on business)
78k mi, needs a new Transmission. quoted $8k.
it was behaving oddly, so when he had it in for an oil change, had them look at it.
if I'm remembering what he said correctly, they told him the Clutches were coming apart.
and of course, just out of warranty. they gave him a contact at Ford Corp. to see if anything can be done to cover the cost. (this is his 6th Lincoln since 2005*, all but one ordered from new)

they offered to pay $4k(half) of the bill -or- cover the cost of a loaner during the repair..... (also told him if he had made it to 80K mi, they WOULDN'T have been able to do ANYTHING for him)
he took the half price new transmission. he'll just have to drive his Garage queen '17 Continental for the time being.

Driving it over there today, set the Cruise @ 55mph, you could feel an almost constant....slipping...almost like the Torque Converter was constantly locking and unlocking.

* Zephyr, (3) MKX's, Continental, and the Nautilus, which is just a renamed MKX.

Last edited:
Any service done on the transmission on the way to 78k?
Not likely unless the "service advisor" at the dealership recommended it.
And remember, nowadays transmissions have "lifetime fluid", and cars don't need any service (aside from oil) until 100,000mi

Don't feel too bad, their older transmissions suck too. Putting a new one in my wife's 2016 Explorer with less than 65K miles on it. Changed the fluid at 25K and 50K miles too. Seems their brand is going to straight crap.

And remember, nowadays transmissions have "lifetime fluid", and cars don't need any service (aside from oil) until 100,000mi
That's because they (Ford/Lincoln) don't care about it once it's out of warranty. Anyone that wants their cars to last longer than that should be following a better service plan.

That's because they (Ford/Lincoln) don't care about it
FIFY! Unless it shows up on a rollback, totally dead, Ford dealers could care less about any issue one of their worthless "vehicles" are having-they will do anything possible to avoid underpaid warranty repairs. I have the F-450 & Grand Marqius in my sig, but I wouldn't touch a new one!

That's because they (Ford/Lincoln) don't care about it once it's out of warranty. Anyone that wants their cars to last longer than that should be following a better service plan.
While I may agree with you, I'll let you explain that to my 70yr old traveling sales rep uncle who always follows the factory schedule to the letter, usually at the dealership.... This is his business vehicle.

At 78k, he's about halfway done with this car.
Usually drives them to 150k.
Kept/drove his 95 Bonneville to 300k mi, before turning it in during cash for clunkers for a Tuscon. Kept the Tuscon around 2 yrs, traded it for a used MKX. The only Lincoln he's had that he didn't custom order ...

While I may agree with you, I'll let you explain that to my 70yr old traveling sales rep uncle who always follows the factory schedule to the letter, usually at the dealership.... This is his business vehicle.

Kept/drove his 95 Bonneville to 300k mi, before turning it in during cash for clunkers for a Tuscon. Kept the Tuscon around 2 yrs, traded it for a used MKX. The only Lincoln he's had that he didn't custom order ...

Ohh, I get it for sure, I just hate that manufacturers are doing it. Stretching out the intervals so they can claim 'low cost of ownership' to the detriment of the buyer who trusts them to do the right thing.

Ford calls for a 150k trans service on my 10R80.....no how no way. I started regular D&F's at 10K and will continue that on. Will it be better in the end? Who knows, can't possibly be worse.

Don't feel too bad, their older transmissions suck too. Putting a new one in my wife's 2016 Explorer with less than 65K miles on it. Changed the fluid at 25K and 50K miles too. Seems their brand is going to straight crap.
Oil doesn't make poor quality parts lasting any longer.

Sounds like he should have kept the 95 Bonneville! I am not a fan of this Lifetime Transmission Fluid stuff!

Got to say, if this was a Audi with full service history as it sounds like this has, they would pay for 100% of the cost up to 100,000 miles or 5 years old.

Most people don’t realise but Audi will give factory goodwill on engine/ gearbox parts and labour up to the full cost if it’s been serviced by a Audi dealer and is less then 5 years 100,000 miles.

Shame Ford doesn’t see the value of looking after their customers.

Got to say, if this was a Audi with full service history as it sounds like this has, they would pay for 100% of the cost up to 100,000 miles or 5 years old.

Most people don’t realise but Audi will give factory goodwill on engine/ gearbox parts and labour up to the full cost if it’s been serviced by a Audi dealer and is less then 5 years 100,000 miles.

Shame Ford doesn’t see the value of looking after their customers.
One or two oil changes may have been at VIOC,
But that's engine oil, nothing to do with the transmission.

That's nice of them--but what's the cost savings for DIY? I'm wondering what one could pay for repairs if they didn't go to the dealer for $100 oil changes and whatever a 30k service costs.

they offered to pay $4k(half) of the bill -or- cover the cost of a loaner during the repair..... (also told him if he had made it to 80K mi, they WOULDN'T have been able to do ANYTHING for him)
This just doesn't make sense to me... Is it a 60k warranty, and so, this is just a goodwill action? I guess that's nice of them... although... they aren't a charity, so why would they do goodwill? It's like admission of guilt to me, "we know it's problematic, but hey, let's sweep this under the table".

I get it, $4k out of pocket is less than $8k out of pocket, but I know I would not be happy with a $2k sudden repair on something at 78k.

I
This just doesn't make sense to me... Is it a 60k warranty, and so, this is just a goodwill action? I guess that's nice of them... although... they aren't a charity, so why would they do goodwill? It's like admission of guilt to me, "we know it's problematic, but hey, let's sweep this under the table".

I get it, $4k out of pocket is less than $8k out of pocket, but I know I would not be happy with a $2k sudden repair on something at 78k.
I believe it's a 5yr/70k mi warranty on the car.

He did run the situation past the local transmission shop. They could replace it for $5-6k, or a rebuild would be $5k.

That's nice of them--but what's the cost savings for DIY? I'm wondering what one could pay for repairs if they didn't go to the dealer for $100 oil changes and whatever a 30k service costs.

Audi’s can be set to longlife/flexible servicing so every 2 years or 19,000 miles you would need a oil change, inspection, pollen filter is 38,000 miles or 2 years and BFC (UK) is 2 years. Fuel, air and sparks plugs depends on engine.

So if you average a service out at £500 and you have done 78,000 miles then that’s 4 services at £2000. Some of the DSG boxes are now on 80,000 miles service’s so if one of these is fitted it would not have had to of been done.

DSG Gearbox I’d about £6500 plus fitting parts. Labour is about £1000 plus 20% VAT for us.

So yes, well worth the cost of servicing If you do have a issue between years 3-5.

one thing to remember Audiman: over here, IF there even is a section in the manual for the dealer to stamp/fill out when they do a service...NO ONE does. Never seen it.

and when it comes to trade-in time, a binder full of Records/Receipts means nothing to a Dealer, nor Most buyers.

when My Brother bought his Neon new in 2005, he kept meticulous records. no receipts, but records of every service, and fuel purchases, ( total gallons, Price per gallon, odometer reading, MPG, etc). I kept it up when I bought the car from him, eventually transcribed it into a spreadsheet.

when I sold it, I both printed the spreadsheet, and put it in a binder, and Included the file on a flash Drive.
the Buyer, My Friends Mom, Looked at the binder, etc.
"What's all that"
ALL the Records for this car since new.
"What? Who Does that?" and throws it all straight in the bin.

How did he get away with that? The car allowance rebate system (aka cash for clunkers) required a vehicle that had an EPA rating of less than 18mpg. No fuel injected Bonneville I'm aware of even came close to that figure. Unscrupulous dealer / falsified paperwork is the only way I could fathom that would work.

one thing to remember Audiman: over here, IF there even is a section in the manual for the dealer to stamp/fill out when they do a service...NO ONE does. Never seen it.

and when it comes to trade-in time, a binder full of Records/Receipts means nothing to a Dealer, nor Most buyers.

when My Brother bought his Neon new in 2005, he kept meticulous records. no receipts, but records of every service, and fuel purchases, ( total gallons, Price per gallon, odometer reading, MPG, etc). I kept it up when I bought the car from him, eventually transcribed it into a spreadsheet.

when I sold it, I both printed the spreadsheet, and put it in a binder, and Included the file on a flash Drive.
the Buyer, My Friends Mom, Looked at the binder, etc.
"What's all that"
ALL the Records for this car since new.
"What? Who Does that?" and throws it all straight in the bin.

You can loose thousands at trade in here if you have no service history. People want history and you only get away with not having any once it’s over like 10 years old or only worth a few thousand.

Its crazy how much things cost. I guess the days of the $1000-1500 transmission rebuild are going away.

How did he get away with that? The car allowance rebate system (aka cash for clunkers) required a vehicle that had an EPA rating of less than 18mpg. No fuel injected Bonneville I'm aware of even came close to that figure. Unscrupulous dealer / falsified paperwork is the only way I could fathom that would work.
b/c of the supercharger maybe?

Back