For Those Who Can Drive a Manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The '70 MGB in my signature.

Bought the car without ever having driven one before, and drove it ~70 miles home(by myself). I made it, and have to say that I think I've improved a lot since then
smile.gif

My only problem lies in the fact that it's the only manual I drive regularly, and 1st gear falls where 3rd gear is on most 5/6 speed transmissions. It always takes me a while to quit trying to start in 3rd when I drive a different car.

The car I learned on was my Dad's 1980 280ZX. The first car I owned with a manual was a 1978 Datsun 280Z that we bought at a repo auction.

1951 Chevy pickup. 4 speed without synchro in low gear. All the mounts between the body and frame had rusted away so, only gravity holding it together. Burned a quart of oil every 40 miles. My dad painted it barn red on the bottom, pink on the top, with a green stripe separating them. All painting with a roller or brush. Hand lettered "Dolph's Summit Inn, Beer, Wine, and whiskey." A thing of rare beauty.

53 Willys Pickup (with the 6 cyl Super Hurricane). Nearly impossible to stall in low range, even if you're 6.

1976 Chevrolet LUV truck is what I learned on. Since that time I've had the following vehicles with manual transmissions: 1973 Opel GT, 1979 Trans Am, 1990 Pontiac Grand Am, a 1976 AMC Gremlin, 1981 Toyota 4wd truck, a couple early 80's Ford Couriers, a 1990 Chevrolet Cavalier, and a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4wd.

My friend a grade ahead owned a '62 Bel Air w/ 3-in-the-tree, and took me out driving a few times. Later that summer I took official lessons in a new AMC Hornet. I'd specified manual transmission, so the Hornet had a 3-on-the-floor.

My first car was my Dad's old '63 Biscayne wagon (that he was unable to trade in on his used '67 Chrysler, so it sat for a year or so until I was ready for it). It was also a 3-in-the-tree.

My first 4-on-the-floor was a '70 Toyota Corolla.

Weirdest manual was a 5-in-the-tree, found in both Mitsubishi and Toyota vans in New Zealand a few years ago.

Nicest may have been the 5-on-the-floor in our '90 Mazda MPV - it was the same tranny used in the RX7.

I learned to drive in a 1956 Studebaker Flight Hawk with a flathead 6 and 3 speed overdrive transmission. I have a 1962 Studebaker GT Hawk with an Avanti 289 V8 and 4 speed transmission now, but I miss driving a car with a three on the tree.

1987 Ford Ranger with a 2.9 V6 and a 5 speed. Actually a fun little truck once I got the hang of it. Later on I had a 1987 Ranger with the 2.3 and a 5 speed. It was way slower.

My friend's mid-80's Mazda 323 that had a lot of power (for what it was and its size) which made stalling it a lot harder to do, which made driving it way easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back