For those in doubt what viscosity OK to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: parshisa
ANother interesting fact is that Toyota Russia limits the OCI for severe service to 5000km (a little over 3k mi) which I think is a right thing. In moscow traffic by the time you get 5k on oil it very well might be 300+ hours on it.

Is Moscow the only place in Russia one can drive?

I've seen too many Russian car crash videos on YouTube to call what they do "driving".
It's more like ice hockey with cars. Russia, where driving is a contact sport.

Last edited:
In Soviet Russia, car drives YOU!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I wanna see a 20W-50 cold start in Yakutia at -60C, that would truly be interesting!

At this temperature, no one starts the engine, just the engine does not turn off. Or, the car is in a warm garage.:)

Well yeah, in Finland where i'm from nearly all cars have webasto heaters too, my Capri also had one when it was in Finland when new and started up just fine at -35C temps with 10W-40 or 20W-50 Valvoline Dino oils in it.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I've seen too many Russian car crash videos on YouTube to call what they do "driving".
It's more like ice hockey with cars. Russia, where driving is a contact sport.

YouTube - not that place where it is worth looking about Russia. Though, YouTube is also a lot of ridiculous about other countries.
grin.gif

In general, in Russia, everything is the same as in other countries, but more expensive.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
I wanna see a 20W-50 cold start in Yakutia at -60C, that would truly be interesting!
I actually know a guy who runs 10w-60 in Yakutia year long. The secret is Webasto block heater.

Certainly not the same temps, but at around -15c my dad used SAE40 mono for a while. Used the bring a big bucket of hot water every morning for the carb and oil.

..Wstarted up just fine at -35C temps...

This is a normal temperature, not every day but there is. I started my Opel on gm 5w30 dexos2 oil without any heaters from the first time.
Up to -40 degrees, it starts normally. At a lower temperature i am not start the engine - need another oil.

CAFE plain and simple. It gets pretty darn cold in Russia too, imagine something other than 0W20 working in the cold there.
wink.gif
I bet they keep their cars longer than the Americans too.......

Let's be fair - vast majority of the drivers on the US roads are no better. 99% of the time the guy/gal in the car driving next to me will be staring at the darn smartphone, texting, facebook or instagram or whatever they do with their phones. oh, yeah, and they would also be speeding. dumb as dumb can be. people on the roads are way too complaisant. and stupid. #rant

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yeah, but a car maker doesn't have to meet the regulation ifvthey would rather pay the fines.

You think Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc. will pay a ton of fines instead?

No, that's why in the end it's money driven. The gov't isn't going to shut them down if they want to pay the fines for some reason instead.

In the end it still boils down to money.

That's like saying you drive 100 in a 60 zone and are willing to pay the tickets because you rather not follow the rules. So yeah I guess the companies will follow the rules just like how you likely do to avoid losing your license.

Automakers aren't going to "lose their license" to manufacture. Just pay the fines for not making CAFE requirements. So yeah, it would be like paying speeding tickets if the fine was the only deterent. If you can't afford to keep paying the fines then you try to meet the regulations.

Automakers aren't going to "lose their license" to manufacture. Just pay the fines for not making CAFE requirements. So yeah, it would be like paying speeding tickets if the fine was the only deterent. If you can't afford to keep paying the fines then you try to meet the regulations.

Of course as I mentioned, if the regulation wasn't in place neither would the fines and the whole thing wouldn't exist. It's the regulation that is at the root not the money. Fines are a symptom not the disease.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Of course as I mentioned, if the regulation wasn't in place neither would the fines and the whole thing wouldn't exist. It's the regulation that is at the root not the money. Fines are a symptom not the disease.

From the companies' viewpoint it's still all about money. If they ran an analysis that it was chesper to just pay the fines instead of pouring money into the R&D required to meet the regulations then they would go that route. The bottom line is the companies do what saves (ie, no CAFE fines) or makes them the most money - all about the money regardless of the "disease".

Notice all the SN and dexos1 tests use engines spec'ed for xw30 or a higher viscosity, yet thin 0w20 passes all the wear and deposit tests in there.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

He's from Cuba where he says that they are experts at keeping cars running for s long time and they use Castrol GTX 20w-50 oil in everything.

Warm climate in Cuba. They can get away with it. Not so easy in International Falls, Alaska, Canada, or Siberia.

There's an optimum engine oil for every engine/driver/climate/usage combination. Finding it is the hard part. And it probably varies from day to day too. One oil during a single OCI can only approximate that.

The point I was trying to make is that there is nothing in the design of a modern engine that calls for 0w-20 than for a similar engine by the same manufacturer that calls for 5w-30 oil. They design their engines as required for the job an budget at hand and don't change the basics for the viscosity of engine oil expected to be used. These basic design issues are far to critical to start having more than one set that might clash with another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back