For those in doubt what viscosity OK to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: parshisa
ANother interesting fact is that Toyota Russia limits the OCI for severe service to 5000km (a little over 3k mi) which I think is a right thing. In moscow traffic by the time you get 5k on oil it very well might be 300+ hours on it.

Is Moscow the only place in Russia one can drive?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

No, that's why in the end it's money driven.
In the end it still boils down to money.

EVERYTHING .... is ... always!!

Hyundai says my car can use 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 here in the U.S.

I found an owner’s manual for the U.K. for it and it says I can use 5w30 through 20w50. No mention of 5w20.

I’ll only use 5w30 or above in it. Next oil change might be a 10w40 blend.

Yes. The rest of the country is flooded with kgb, drunk bears and putins agents

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Misspelled: RUSSKIES is the way to go lol

HaHa, all in fun!

From a Mother Jones article. I didn't put in the full address because it was political and I didn't want to get us shut down.

rooskies-are-out-get-us/

Rooskies works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
You guys are taking advice from the Rooskies?
laugh.gif

Maybe on Vodka! Certainly not oil!

Similar reason why I switched to 0W-40 in my Tacoma, same engine sold globally calls mainly for 10W-30, 5W-40 and 15W-40 so I see no reason to not use it. Especially with it approaching 132k miles. Plus I like euro spec oils way better than oils formulated exclusively for the US market.

There's a late model Camry 4-cylinder taxi in Los Angles that is run 3 shifts a day 7 days a week with family members taking turns and it's piling on the miles. The owner uses Mobil 1 15w-50 from day 1. He purchased the car, drove it home and changed the oil and now changes it based on gasoline used, not time or mileage. His oil changes come at about 5K to 10K miles but some intervals have been under 5K, lots of idling time at LAX. He expects 500K+ miles and claims the cooling system, air filter, fuel filter and a PEA gasoline additive are very important maybe more important than changing the oil right on time.

He's from Cuba where he says that they are experts at keeping cars running for s long time and they use Castrol GTX 20w-50 oil in everything.

This thread was so much fun, i can't wait for the next thick v thin party in about half a day.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

He's from Cuba where he says that they are experts at keeping cars running for s long time and they use Castrol GTX 20w-50 oil in everything.

Warm climate in Cuba. They can get away with it. Not so easy in International Falls, Alaska, Canada, or Siberia.

There's an optimum engine oil for every engine/driver/climate/usage combination. Finding it is the hard part. And it probably varies from day to day too. One oil during a single OCI can only approximate that.

The credits were worth billions, the manufacturers traded credits for $$$. Like the carbon credit farce just follow the money and who is cashing in on it and you have the truth.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I wanna see a 20W-50 cold start in Yakutia at -60C, that would truly be interesting!
I actually know a guy who runs 10w-60 in Yakutia year long. The secret is Webasto block heater.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yeah, but a car maker doesn't have to meet the regulation ifvthey would rather pay the fines.

You think Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc. will pay a ton of fines instead?

No, that's why in the end it's money driven. The gov't isn't going to shut them down if they want to pay the fines for some reason instead.

In the end it still boils down to money.

That's like saying you drive 100 in a 60 zone and are willing to pay the tickets because you rather not follow the rules. So yeah I guess the companies will follow the rules just like how you likely do to avoid losing your license.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There's a late model Camry 4-cylinder taxi in Los Angles that is run 3 shifts a day 7 days a week with family members taking turns and it's piling on the miles. The owner uses Mobil 1 15w-50 from day 1. He purchased the car, drove it home and changed the oil and now changes it based on gasoline used, not time or mileage. His oil changes come at about 5K to 10K miles but some intervals have been under 5K, lots of idling time at LAX. He expects 500K+ miles and claims the cooling system, air filter, fuel filter and a PEA gasoline additive are very important maybe more important than changing the oil right on time.

Do you think the same wouldnt happen on thin oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back