First Time install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
After reading through this site, I've come to the conclusion that I need to isntall a bypass filter for the oil and tranny in my 04 Grand Am, and possibly for coolant (though I'm leaning towards a simple Tefba filter for the coolant).
What brand do you guys recommend? I'm interested in achieving a very minimal pressure drop, and ease of installation would be a real issue, as I don't have much experience installing stuff of the complicated nature.

Thanks!

If you can find a place to mount the filter you have it made. I like to use a sandwich adapter. It probably isnt necessary but I have been drilling the adapter 7/32" to reduce the pressure drop across the adapter. The Motor Guard is the least messy to service of the submicronic bypass filters. The filters that cant filter down to at least 1/10th micron are not of much value. The Motor Guard hooks up the same as an oil cooler when used for ATF. The Motor Guard can have the element bypass orifice drilled internally. The external bypass fitting isnt necessary with the Motor Guard ATF filter. Yoou can also bolt a Perma-Cool single remote oil filter mount somewhere and run the fluid lines thru it on the way to or from the radiator. Screw a Ford FL-1a or equivalent oil filter on it. Then if you want to get down to 1/10th micron install a Ford sandwich adapter on it and run a couple of lines to the Motor Guard. I get my adapters from www.jegs.com. Single remote oil filter 771-1211, Ford adapter 771-181.

Ralph
burnout.gif

I recently installed a Motor Guard filter from RalphPWood on a 2003 Tundra 3.4L with 9840 miles. Ralph recommened to use the Perma Cool adapter. Although I have some experience as a plumber and some auto mechanic skills, I would recommed the unit for anyone to install. Ralph answers all questions concerning install procedures. The Motor Guard is very easy to work with and filter changes are very easy. My install took me about an hour in between thundershowers. I don't have any leaks and oil pressure is fine. So far with about 250 miles the oil remains clean. I did not replace the oil when I installed the Motor Guard. I had changed the oil at 8300 miles and left it in to be cleaned by the new bypass.
cheers.gif

Thanks oldman. Installing these filters is easy for a plumber. With the two port sandwich adapter the resistance of the oil going thru the relief valve is what keeps the oil going thru the Motor Guard. If the oil pressure is good and the Motor Guard is getting hot it's working right. If your engine needs more oil than the relief valve can handle you can drill the sandwich adapter. Drill the hole too large and you won't have enough resistance to heat up the Motor Guard.
At a tourist resort in the Bahamas they noticed that the oil pressure wasn't as high after the Perma-Cool 181 sandwich adapter and M-30 was installed. They have diesel generators. They drilled the adapter 1/8" and it brought the presssure up. The tried 1/4" and the Motor Guard wouldn't heat up.
I got a call from a marine vessel owner that had the filter hooked up in the conventional way with a tee at the oil pressure switch. The filter was causing a low reading on the gauge. I told him to install a sandwich adapter and the problem would go away. The adapter doesn't take oil off the system. At one time Frantz had a two port sandwich adapter. The flow to the filter depended on flow thru the adapter similar to the Perma-Cool adapter. It is the same old story. It is a problem when you are trying to make one adapter work for all flows and pressures. Another problem is getting the size right on the ATF adapter so that it can handle my Camry or a larger transmission like my C-6 Ford. On a 100 HP air compressor at work I get a 2 PSI drop across the full flow filter. That is enough to keep the M-30 heated up. I get people so confused that I end up selling filters only to people I can't confuse.
grin.gif
Old Frantz users are easy.
An old fighter pilot/U-2 pilot had me install a filter on his new Powerstroke. He had some Amsoil in the back of the truck that he wanted put in. I drained the break in oil out into a clean pan. That's enough oil to last me a long time.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Thank you all for the informative advice. Is there a way I can put a pressure gauge in to monitor the pressure on the outlet side of the bypass filter?

What would be some disadvantages to using a bypass filter? Seems like the tp would deteriorate?

THanks!

The pressure on the discharge side should be quite low since usually it is being fed back to someplace low pressure like the valve cover or crankcase. The differential presure would almost equal the inlet pressure.

What would be some disadvantages to using a bypass filter? Seems like the tp would deteriorate?

Well if you think it will deteriorate, I have a challenge for you.
Put a roll of tp in a pan or bucket , fill it with oil and wait until it breaks down...whats that ??? You don't have 25 years to spare???

Try it with water , that will break it down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back