First movie you ever saw at theater or drive in?

I think it was "Prophecy". My earliest memory of the theater is that movie and "The Empire Strikes Back". I remember after watching "Prophecy" it had me freaked out, that mutated bear was gnarly looking. Looking back on it now, it's a little cheesy, but to a kid, it was horrifying. My Mother was not happy that my sister took me to see that.
The only drive-in movie that I have a memory of is a double-feature, it was "FX" and "Highlander".
My toddler has a plushie bear that is his safety "blanket". I floated the idea to my wife that we should show him "Cocaine Bear" on Amazon Prime Video. She just sighed and rolled her eyes back. Her facial expression was akin to "and this is who I decided to have children with??"

I’m sure a number of us remember going to Saturday matinees watching those campy Dracula and werewolf flicks. They would have people dressed up in character costumes walk through the rows and aisles scaring the crowd.

JAWS at the drive in theater off of K42 in Wichita, Kansas!!! dad parked the car in reverse and me and my cousin were able to lay in the back of the El Camino. I think we were like five and seven.
Great movie I lived 10 minutes from Jones Beach that whole summer nobody would go swimming in the Atlantic. You went there with the water to your waist no father

The Lion King.

Never been to a drive in despite how many we have in the area. Too late for me anyways. Lol

First movie I clearly remembered seeing was Animal House. Saw some things in that movie I never saw before....

Drive in: Mid 1960's in the back of the neighbors Ford Country Squire with three of their kids British Double Feature "Alfie" and then "She" - starring Ursula Andress I didn't understand either as a 10 year old boy, so I spent most of the time at the concession stand or napping in the way back of the wagon.

Theatre? 1965 with my father at the gorgeous, modern Showcase Cinemas after some pleading. We saw a double feature of "HELP!" and "Thunderball" on the widescreen. I think my mother came along and went to see "My Fair Lady" in the adjacent Theatre.

I recall also seeing silly Dr. Doolittle in superpanavision - either that or I sat too close to the screen :)

Reactions: GON
Battle of the Bulge starring Henry Fonda in 1965. My Dad and I had been going to the stock car races but they got rained out so we went to the drive-in. I was only about 8 so I don't remember the movie much at all. What I do remember was the playground they had right under the screen complete with a ride on train !!

Theater I believe was Grand Prix with James Garner. Still a good movie that I will watch if I see it on TV.

They were some heavy speakers and often scratchy sound.

IMG_2855.jpeg

Back