Filter magnet result w/cut open filter pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tip my car too get more oil out, I have a Filtermag but the 1 that I have is a step up from yours it is the RA Series, it has twice the strength but the 1 you have is fine, I also have 1 on my transmission pan and it attracts some junk, they also make a magnet too put in your Differential too, you can go too the Filtermag website and read a lot more stuff, I think this product is fantastic because you are right in that maybe the oil filter may stop the stuff, but this filtermag traps down too 2 microns and might give you a little more time on your oil filter because it is trapping this metal junk.

I wonder how much of the metal shavings got stuck to the magnet as a result of cutting it open.
The dremel tools throw a lot of metal dust around.
I can't help but think that a good portion of them got trapped in that magnet.
BUT..I also use rare earth magnets on my filter as well. They certainly cannot hurt anything.

Shavings from the cut would be shiny and you pull the magnet before cutting so the shavings have no reason to go there. Those look exactly like the black dust I get from my magnets which are positioned on the drain plug and the filter inlet so I don't need to cut anything to see them.

Last edited:
I'm using a magnetic drain plug on one of our cars and it usually has a small amount of debris on it come oil change time.

Originally Posted By: severach
Shavings from the cut would be shiny and you pull the magnet before cutting so the shavings have no reason to go there. Those look exactly like the black dust I get from my magnets which are positioned on the drain plug and the filter inlet so I don't need to cut anything to see them.

Shavings from the Dremel cut will be black. Heated metal is oxidized quickly, especially on high-speed. Lots of black cutting wheel dust will be added as well.
If OP used hand saw - shavings would be "shiny".

It is better to use sheet-steel scissors for such exact scientific experiment :)

Dremel cuttings will be of an entirely different character. They will be larger particles and will not have the time to deposit evenly like those left where the magnets are. Additionally, any large pieces, presumably from the cutting, that are attracted by the magnets, would get picked up by the filter almost immediately in a running engine (assuming no extended bypass operation).

My conclusion is that the mags are picking up materials that don't get caught in the filter for whatever reason.

I just take mine down to the local airplane shop and use their filter cutter which has a can opener blade. They cut them all the time so you can watch how they do it for hints.

That was my conclusion also. Particles large enough to be filtered will be filtered before they see a magnet. The smaller ones circulate until the magnet catches them.

I use red FilterMags with the UPF52s on my 04 Impala’s 3.4 and on the Stanadyne FM100 Fuel (pre) Filter on my 03 Duramax Diesel.. I also have some rare earth magnets inside the OilGuard bypass on the Duramax.. When opening the filters after use (filter cutter for the spin-ons) I find the magnets collect a considerable amount of ferrous material. They definitely work ..

However, In another forum I read some “speculation” about a potential downside that some ferrous particles could become magnetized and stick to another part of the engine near a bearing surface .. i.e. particles that pass by the magnets but either do not stick or get washed off by high pressure flow through the filter.. Interesting concept but it seems like the same flow would keep these particles moving past a non magnetized ferrous bearing surface. Thoughts ??

Last edited:
If a magnet didn't catch them,i doubt they were even close enough to get magnetized and bearing material is usually or always soft material,which should'nt attract it there.Heck, why not put quite a few all around the filter? more is better!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back