Favorite Parents/Grandparents meals of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pizza for us was a local family owned place called Angelo's, the family went to the same church we did. A small building with glass brick, big pizza ovens (no conveyer belts), and outdoor seating and car parking only, kind of like a drive-in but no car hops. No pizza boxes, pizzas were put on round pieces of cardboard, then placed in thin brown paper bags puffed up like a Jiffy Pop pan to stay out of contact with the pizza and stapled shut. Also consistently rated for some of the best hamburgers in town. Finally closed last decade.

Maternal grandmother (Polish).... everything, well almost.

Thin/breaded pork chops, fresh sauerkraut salad, pierogis (meat and blueberry my favs, eat them out of the strainer steaming hot), beef roulade, bigos, red beet soup, ham shank, etc...

Last edited:
Never got to meet my grandparents on my Dad's side as they passed away at a fairly young age. However, my maternal grandma was an awesome old time southern cook. Cornbread and pintos, country ham, fried fish & chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits & gravy, green beans, and the best turkey dressing I have ever tasted. The majority of the vegetables they grew and they raised their own chickens and hogs. They ate very little beef and I don't think grandpa tried pizza until he was in his late 60's.

Unfortunately mom did not cook the main course(s) quite as good as grandma....I think mom tried to cut back on the use of salt, butter, and lard...and as a kid I knew something was not right.
grin.gif
However, mom made awesome strawberry, blackberry, & peach cobblers and an awesome banana pudding.

It's probably a good thing I did not grow up with video games like the kids today or I'd have been as round as I was tall.

Last edited:
My mom's meatloaf all homemade with with some sort of homemade sweet sauce on top.

Also arabic meat sandwiches which were pine nuts, ton of spices and high end cuts of fresh meat on fresh pita growing up in Middle East. Meat oddly was same price per pound in Egypt whether junk or filet mignon so my mum bought best stuff and it was not aged just freshly butchered.

My mum was Bostonian and dad a Syrian who came at age 19 for college and never went back. My mom's arabic cooking was excellent and interestingly my Syrian relatives who visited really liked it.

I always liked my moms Thanksgiving meal. Dressing, noodles etc. Her lasagna is pretty good too. We bake and cook together so it's hard for me to really pick.

I remember always having grilled cheese and canned peas at my grandmas house. Nothing too special, but a memory nonetheless. Can't say the last time I had grilled cheese though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back