Anyone cringe when someone drives your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Cars are tools.

Yes, but very expensive tools.

The only one besides me that drives my truck is my other half. She is really careful so I don't worry. I do not lend my truck out to anybody. If someone needs a truck to move something, they can use my truck but I will be driving it.

naaaaaaaa,,,,my 2005 lead sled is ancient,, old technology, 150k miles Buick Lasabre, don't make them anymore// it runs ok, just old like me// I run ok, but not much..lol

Originally Posted By: double vanos
No vehicle inspections here in my part of Arizona. Living in Texas I hated the mechanics’ test drive of my vehicles. And naturally, the space they pull it into to hook the car up to the state computer is just 2” wider than the car.....
And why do car inspectors have to be such idiots about the cars they’re inspecting? Here comes a detailed car that’s obviously loved and they have to drop the hood from 3’ above to close it, slam doors, drag the OBD cable across the paint, that sort of thing.
It may cost like the devil to license a car here in Az, but at least the vehicle is no longer in the hands of strangers - that in itself is worth the price of admission....

^^^THIS!!
01.gif

Here in Pennsyltuckeyvania some of the shops will not even allow you to ride along on the requisite inspection 'test drive' when their heavily inked, knuckle-dragging 'techs' abuse your ONLY car (in order to try to discourage some of said abuse).
mad.gif

These cretins seem to take some kind of sadistic pleasure in vandalizing something which has obviously been taken care of very well, almost to the point that it BOTHERS them to see a vehicle in GREAT condition.

(Before all of their defenders/apologists pile on here, NO, it is NOT "ALL of them" who fit the above description, nor act in the above described manner, but it IS way too high a proportion.
frown.gif
)

I would use a dashcam... Even if they might unplug it. There was a few dealers that was caught joy riding getting lunch I. The customers cars.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Here in Pennsyltuckeyvania some of the shops will not even allow you to ride along on the requisite inspection 'test drive' when their heavily inked, knuckle-dragging 'techs' abuse your ONLY car (in order to try to discourage some of said abuse).
mad.gif

Wait, they test drive your vehicles on a PA state inspection? My shop just puts it on the lift, takes off the tires to check for brakes, and slaps on a new sticker. Or is this for your emissions sticker before your inspection? Here in Fulton County we don't do emissions.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Astro14
You have yet to teach one of your children to drive...

Ugh.. Yep. Just starting that adventure. I also hate being a passenger when my darling bride drives. She's not a bad driver and drives old ladyish, but she never stays steady on the go pedal and spikes the brakes. ATs and brakes get a workout.

Two down and one to go on this front. Both of my older kids (21 and 18) have been more stressed than I have while they're behind the wheel. They don't want to die, they don't want to hurt anyone, and they don't want to damage Dad's car. I know the likelihood of the first two is very slim while I'm in the car with them, and the car is just another thing in the category of "stuff that can be fixed or replaced."

With my wife, the biggest annoyance is putting the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel back in the "correct" positions after she drives my car.

Yes, at least in the County I have resided in since I started driving back in 1989. I have never asked to ride with but do wait for my car to get inspected. Usually its less then a mile drive for the inspection purpose.

Originally Posted By: Delta
mad.gif

Wait, they test drive your vehicles on a PA state inspection? My shop just puts it on the lift, takes off the tires to check for brakes, and slaps on a new sticker. Or is this for your emissions sticker before your inspection? Here in Fulton County we don't do emissions.

A road test is supposed to be part of the inspection process in PA.

Originally Posted By: Delta
mad.gif

Yep, and they told me that it is REQUIRED by state MV/DOT law as part of the safety inspection, even on very low mile (mine had < 4K miles on it at last inspection), ONE year old, pretty much BRAND NEW cars.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Usually its less then a mile drive for the inspection purpose.

Even so, just think of the clutch, and gearbox damage, to say nothing of the valve train damage they could do in that mile if so motivated!
mad.gif

Not auto related, but do lawn mowers count, too?

My neighbors are getting old. So their 30 something year old daughter came over to their house today to clean a little and mow their yard. She couldn't get their mower to start, so I offered to let her use my riding lawn mower.

She ran over a stump and then bottomed out the deck on an exposed root system by a tree. Mower made a painful racket. I had to go over there and lift it off the roots and maneuver it onto terra firma. Thankfully, it started up and still operates.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Last edited:
Nobody ever drives my Scat Pack but me. Wife has her BMW and we both drive the Jeep. Wife is great driver so no worries there. Other than that, nobody touches our vehicles.

Cars are more than tools too me. They are my hobby and have been for 50 years. I take great pride in keeping them in perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition. You don't see dents, dings, or any other damage on our cars. My wife and I both go the extra mile to prevent this from happening. Other drivers do not care. Just walk through a grocery store parking lot and look and the poor condition of even new cars. You can be sure that the mechanical condition of these vehicles matches the looks. That is one of the many reasons I stopped buying other peoples used junk years ago.

My wife is one of those people who will drive a car on a flat tire and destroy the rim or drive with the oil light on until the engine seizes up.
I absolutely hate it when she drives my truck.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
A road test is supposed to be part of the inspection process in PA.

Yep, and they told me that it is REQUIRED by state MV/DOT law as part of the safety inspection, even on very low mile (mine had < 4K miles on it at last inspection), ONE year old, pretty much BRAND NEW cars.

Wow, that's new to me. They check over a couple things, slap a sticker on, and I pay them the $35.

My wife and son can drive anything in the garage. I've loaned my Wrangler for several days to friends who had a car in the shop and needed something to drive.
At a Solo 1 event at Memphis back in the '90s several of us got bored and swapped cars all during practice. It was fun,but there has to be a considerable amount of mutual trust...

Yeah, once you loan a car out for motor sports, even autocross, you don't really worry about letting someone use it for street use...
The second worst thing that can happen at autocross is getting your car damaged, the first is getting beat by someone else in your car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back