Favorite oil in a Honda engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil? I just use hamster food. J/K

Seriously though....Honda has made a lot of engines...Which one are you thinking about?

Would that be the PP-M1 0W-20 or the PP-SynPower 5W-20?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: IMH0813
haha sorry, more specifically the 4 cyl civic 1.7 engine.

Depends on how deep you pockets are and if it sees severe duty (like a lot of short trips or stop/go driving). For regular duty, you should get great protection from any of the big name synthetics (PP, M1, Syntec, etc) without breaking the bank. Be sure to pick the recommended viscosity and change at Honda's recommended maintenance interval. Lot's of people will have opinions, but without supporting oil analysis...they are just that.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Would that be the PP-M1 0W-20 or the PP-SynPower 5W-20?
grin2.gif

haha Johnny! Unfortunately, there hasn't been any good deals on PP in a while. I only have a several qts of PP left and use it for my aunt's Accord. She drives like 3-4K a year and change it out once a year.

I changed out the oil in my son-in-law's 04 Civic twin cam motor to Amsoil XL 5w-20. Figuring Honda's to be a pretty well developed motor I didn't expect a lot of response to the change but the motor seemed to really love it.

He has been using the dealer changes that came with it when he bought it every 3k. He's now a convert to 7500 OCIs.

any sm rated oil for normal conditions and moderate oci. Syn for extended oci and/or severe conditions. I've used amsoil xlm in my hondas for years and loved it. PP is great and will perform similarly for less money. If you want to *really* extend your oci, look at other amsoil products.

Lets see I have used:
M1 5w30
M1 5w20
M1 0w20
Amsoil 0w20
MC 5w20
Penz YB 5w20
PP 5w20
PP 5w30
A mix if PP 5w30 and 5w20

In a Honda v6 with no difference to the but dyno or the ear meter. They all worked just fine. Of course my car is kind of a slut. You can put anything in her.

With my CR-V it's eeeny meeny miney moe.... Whatever I feel like but I hesitate to use synth b/c it's so unnecessary. Really, it'd run off bacon grease if you poured it in there.

quite honestly I think you could go longer than 4K with YB. especially in a civic. I just ran YB 5K in a v6 without issue.

My friend has a 2001 Honda Civic 5spd and beats the snot out of it. I'm talking full throttle starts in the dead of winter.

He uses Castrol GTX 10w30 and changes whenever he feels like it...sometimes up to 7 or 8k miles. Still running fine with over 100k on it.

Last edited:
Rotella T in all my engines... except the new Ridge. I'll stick with Honda 5w20 out of deference to Honda Engineering, and to make sure my warranty does not get questioned.

At about 70k, I'll switch to Rotella T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back