is Pennzoil Platinum still the favorite?

Don't pick an oil just because it is a favorite because of a bunch of fan boys, instead pick an oil because it meets the requirements of your vehicle and is readily available depending on how you like to purchase oil whether online or in store.

Pennzoil Platinum is very good oil.
Good advice, all true.

Come here for financial advice and dating tips. 🙂

Welp - there's 6 different favorite oils here.

The Quaker State because it's a buck cheaper crowd.

The Mobil 1 in it's various flavors crowd. The 0W-40 members have special gold cards in that crowd.

The boutique crowd, mostly HPL with a few AMSOIL/Redline supporting members

The BMW/VW certs crowd.

The Euro crowd, which is not to be confused with the certs crowd.

I'm in the 6th crowd. That is the 'it's all good oil' crowd, though we each have our favorites. Mine is Penz Ultra Platinum in the black label bottle. There is a Penz Platinum silver label also that is a bit more reminiscent of the Penzoil Ultra Plat with Pure Plus that WAS the favorite for quite a while.

There's a fringe group that loves Rotella. We tried driving them off with pitchforks but they are crafty little guerillas.

(just kidding Rotella crowd!)
Hmm. What do you get if you fit all the groups except Brotella?

(Rotella has many valid uses that it’s excellent at. Race engines ain’t one of them.)

Hmm. What do you get if you fit all the groups except Brotella?

(Rotella has many valid uses that it’s excellent at. Race engines ain’t one of them.)
#6 but you backslide into temptation and repress your denial ;)

Edit - the #6 guys include the 1-5 guys and fringe groups.

DISCLAIMER: we are not inclusive of the RP cell.......

Last edited:
Welp - there's 6 different favorite oils here.

The Quaker State because it's a buck cheaper crowd.

The Mobil 1 in it's various flavors crowd. The 0W-40 members have special gold cards in that crowd.

The boutique crowd, mostly HPL with a few AMSOIL/Redline supporting members

The BMW/VW certs crowd.

The Euro crowd, which is not to be confused with the certs crowd.

I'm in the 6th crowd. That is the 'it's all good oil' crowd, though we each have our favorites. Mine is Penz Ultra Platinum in the black label bottle. There is a Penz Platinum silver label also that is a bit more reminiscent of the Penzoil Ultra Plat with Pure Plus that WAS the favorite for quite a while.

There's a fringe group that loves Rotella. We tried driving them off with pitchforks but they are crafty little guerillas.

(just kidding Rotella crowd!)
That is some excellent nutshelling!

It seems that Penzoil Plat is always a good price for a 5QT jug and on the shelf at my local Home Depot. There is literally always some home project going on at my house, so I just pick up a jug while I'm there. I used to read this site a ton and obsess over oil, but think much less about it now. The proper weight Penzoil Plat goes in all my vehicles. No complaints.

The cheapest full-syn I can find... the past few years it's been PP (with rebate), QSFS or Supertech.
Also, I am truly amazed that this thread hasn't been locked yet.

PUP seems highly regarded around here; can’t go wrong with the price and availability. I used it wayyyyy back when I lurked here and had a then 2 year old ‘10 Acura TSX.

I have been using TGMO for the past 10 years on my 2013 Camry. It's got to a point that the dealership is not willing to give me discount anymore. So I need to get back to 0w20 oils that I can buy from Walmart. Is Pennzoil platinum still the favorite in our community? Thanks.
I've never used it however, I have heard it's a really good oil.

Back