Favorite cheap tire brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm somewhat amazed no one has said Michelin yet lol.

I've had several sets of Douglas tires that treated me well but may not be available in the size you desire.

Perhaps the Chinese tires would be the best bet.

If you go that route be sure to compare the Chinese specs and dimenstonthe tires you eventingend to run, there are most certainly differences between manufacturers.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hankook has some cheap yet decent tires. Great bang for the buck.

This. Beware fit can be +/- a few percent within the same nominal size.

You will take quite a hit on depreciation on new tires as there are lots of them on CL that only ran "500 miles". I 2nd the used notion.

Douglass at WalMart. Decent cheap tire for the price, while still being safe: made by Goodyear.

I don't like cheap tires, an extra $100 over all those miles just doesn't matter that much to me to take it up a step. My Sonata came with a new set of Kumho TA11s, they're ok I guess, it won't get another set though, pretty noisy.

Jeep has BFG All Terrains. Spare reached 10 years old this year so I put a cheap new Goodyear on. Good enough for a spare.

Grandparent's Trailblazer I had a new Laufenn (made by Hankook) put on to replace the 15 year old spare. Better than that old tire, good enough.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Mastercraft by Cooper. Nonunion Cooper I was told.

We have some Mastercraft "Strategy" tires on her dd Lexus ES. They have been on just over 2 years and 36,000 miles. They are wearing well and will last 60k miles at least I would expect. They are pretty terrible in snow, but do everything else really well - quiet, not too soft a sidewall (215/60-16), and very good in rain, which is critical here. Everything about them is on par with what I read about Cooper's main line and higher priced tires.

i had good luck with two sets of w-mart goodyear vivas on a now gone toyota corolla. now happy with kelly edge a/s on vw passat.

My least favorite cheap tire brand right now is Multi Mile. Our Wild Country XTX sports have worn pretty fast even lightly loaded on our CRV. Also one has had a belt slip so its not round anymore... The tire shop has offered to sell us another set at half price plus installation but its not worth it.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Mastercraft by Cooper. Nonunion Cooper I was told.

We have some Mastercraft "Strategy" tires on her dd Lexus ES. They have been on just over 2 years and 36,000 miles. They are wearing well and will last 60k miles at least I would expect. They are pretty terrible in snow, but do everything else really well - quiet, not too soft a sidewall (215/60-16), and very good in rain, which is critical here. Everything about them is on par with what I read about Cooper's main line and higher priced tires.

I had a set on an old Equinox and it seemed to do alright in the snow for me. For being a low budget all season tire it did everything it was supposed to do I felt. That and I got them for $55 a tire on a close out deal. It was a no brainer for me

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't like cheap tires, an extra $100 over all those miles just doesn't matter that much to me to take it up a step. My Sonata came with a new set of Kumho TA11s, they're ok I guess, it won't get another set though, pretty noisy.

Jeep has BFG All Terrains. Spare reached 10 years old this year so I put a cheap new Goodyear on. Good enough for a spare.

Grandparent's Trailblazer I had a new Laufenn (made by Hankook) put on to replace the 15 year old spare. Better than that old tire, good enough.

I don't think you read the post. The tires will be driven a max of 250 miles each at most.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I don't think you read the post. The tires will be driven a max of 250 miles each at most.
Yes I read the post, and I posted my experience with cheap tires.

Also, then why are you getting new tires?

Might be worth asking a local indy tire shop about what they have on consignment.
The OEM tires on my Forester were dreadful and what info I could find about the tires that came on my daughter's Impreza sounded just as bad...we put RT43s on it a few days after the purchase and the shop sold the OEMs for us. I think we cleared maybe $125 on the sale, better than nothing and zero effort on my part.

Originally Posted By: ejes
Douglass at WalMart. Decent cheap tire for the price, while still being safe: made by Goodyear.

Yep. They're modeled after Kelly all-seasons. Kelly being a Goodyear brand like you say. Douglas are US made as well. I absolutely love the Douglas all-seasons on my 2016 Forester compared to the OEM Yoko Geolanders that were on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back