FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
oops
18.gif

Originally Posted By: Trajan
If you can't afford the oil, get rid of the car.

That's right. It's like someone who buys an expensive car requiring super unleaded and puts regular gas...

this forum is for the exchange of information and experiences and not for flip remarks and comments.....

Originally Posted By: motts
this forum is for the exchange of information and experiences and not for flip remarks and comments.....

You're right, but it wasn't me who came up with:

Originally Posted By: motts
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So next time just read the thread carefully..

Originally Posted By: sako

According to the web page, the local AutoZone has the oil in the link below.

That in itself doesn't guarantee that this oil is in fact GC. You would have to go into the store and verify that it says "Made in Germany" on the back label.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: sako

According to the web page, the local AutoZone has the oil in the link below.

That in itself doesn't guarantee that this oil is in fact GC. You would have to go into the store and verify that it says "Made in Germany" on the back label.

AFAIK, the only Castrol 0W30 European Formula carried by AZ is the GC. I'm unaware of any Castrol 0W30 EF that isn't German made. The web link surely looks like it to me, given the certifications listed. But I always check the back for "Made in Germany" whenever I'm plunking down the cash.
19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jesbo
I'm unaware of any Castrol 0W30 EF that isn't German made.

There was plenty of the USA-made Castrol 0w30 on AZ shelves at one point. Probably less nowadays. Still, you never know when some store decides to put some old stock on their shelves or Castrol does some switch-a-roo on us again.

There was plenty of the USA-made Castrol 0w30 on AZ shelves at one point. Probably less nowadays. Still, you never know when some store decides to put some old stock on their shelves or Castrol does some switch-a-roo on us again.

Didn't realize there ever was/is a 0W30 USA Made Syntec. I've never seen it. I'll keep my eye open.

Originally Posted By: jesbo
Didn't realize there ever was/is a 0W30 USA Made Syntec.

I guess this thread is so big and old, that nobody reads the first post in it anymore...
55.gif

Quote:

There are 3 types of GC.

* U.S. - So it's not really GC, but it's U.S. made Castrol Syntec 0w-30.
* Green - Yes, the oil is Green.
* Gold - The most recent stuff.

I guess this thread is so big and old, that nobody reads the first post in it anymore...
55.gif

Good point... I read the first post many moons ago. I've just never seen a US 0W30, so didn't think it was made/marketed any more.

First post also says:
Quote:
It was last made in 2002, but many AutoZones still have some lying around.

Last edited:
It's not too thin. GC is one of the thickest 30-weights out there, bordering on 40-weight, when at operating temperature. And as the temperature drops, it only gets thicker from there.

It's not too thin. GC is one of the thickest 30-weights out there, bordering on 40-weight, when at operating temperature. And as the temperature drops, it only gets thicker from there.

To amplify what you said: At operating temperature an oil is as "thin" (i.e. lower viscosity) as it ever gets under normal conditions and as the oil cools off the viscosity increases (i.e. gets thicker). The 0w rating simply means that it thickens less than a 5w or 10w would.

I used to think about oil like you are wehre oil starts as a 30 weight and then thins to a 5 weight, but once you drain oil, especially gear oil, you know that warm oil is thinner than cold oil.

I am considering it for my next oil change in a older Toyota. I am looking for a oil that is in the higher viscosity range of 30 grade oil when hot, but one that flows better at cold start. Mobil 10w-30 HM is a higher viscosity oil, but it gave me some valve train noise at cold start and some consumption. The car did not like Mobil 1 10w-40 HM. Valve train tapping at cold start and enigine seemed a bit labored at idle...I dumped that oil in a week, so can't comment on consumption. Currently using Mobil 1 10w-30 EP + 1 10oz can of Lubro Moly MoS2 addit...my car likes it...no valve train tapping at cold start....after 500 miles, consumption seems nil. I like to experiment and next oil change I will try on of these oils listed below. My owners manual lists oils I can use as going from 5w-30 all the way to 20w-50, depending on temp.

Amsoil 10w-30 ACD
Redline 10w-30
Lubro Moly 5w-30 67 @ 40C, 12.0 @ 100C vis 178
Lubro Moly 5w-40
Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 72.8 @ 40c, 12.1 @ 100c vis 164
GC 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back