2016 Volvo XC70 D5

Hello there
My 2016 XC70 D5 (2.4L 5cyl twin-turbo diesel) calls for a 0W-30 A5/B5 oil and I have been using Castrol Edge Professional A3 0W-30 for the last three OCIs. As I’ve nearly emptied the 20L drum of this oil, I’m looking at what to buy for its next oil change.

Should I stick to this low visc and low HTHS oil, or should I go for something with a little more MOFT and trade a tiny bit of fuel economy?

PS this car does have a DPF but the recommended Castrol 0W-30 is not a low SAPS oil – it has 1.1% SA.

I run Castrol Edge Professional A3 0W-40 in my partner’s Focus RS (2.5 5cyl turbo gasoline Volvo engine)… should I just run the 0W-40 in the XC70 too? Or is there a better option?

Thank you

Personally I wouldn’t use anything other than the 0w30 A5/B5 as specified by Volvo.

The London Ambulance Service had a few 2008 XC70 provided by the Home Office for Operation Plato.

They were abused and hammered round London for a decade at least.

And LAS fitters only ever use OE parts and OE oil.

Everything fitted to the vehicles comes in a Oe manufacturer box, I was always told for liability purposes.

The only engine failure was in the first year when the bottom end let go on one.

Volvo initially said it wasn’t their problem, on stripping down the rumour was a big end bolt had failed, nothing to do with vehicle abuse.

So Volvo provided a new engine.

Apart from that they were bulletproof, there was one knocking about just before Covid hit, not seen one since though.

Thank you both for your help here. I’ll stick with the Castrol Edge Professional A5 0W-30, then 😊

Back