Fake Engine Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MKV GTI had a sound pipe from the intake. I removed it to get a little better turbo response and less droning on the Hway.

With a cold air intake the Turbo is plenty loud when wound up, and of course the DSG's shift burps are magnificent.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Trav
When an engine has some real steam in the boiler you know it

That's even true with the Tesla Model S P100d. You really do know when the electric motors are cranking out 700HP. No fake sound required, it's clearly the sound of power, and it's pleasing.

True! I like old model steam and hit and miss engines, I buy them, build them from castings, repair them but the most fun is running them.
Nice noises to my ears. High powered model electric motors make some nice sound too.

I don't mind at all when they pipe in actual intake noise, not through the speakers, but through an actual pipe.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
My MKV GTI had a sound pipe from the intake. I removed it to get a little better turbo response and less droning on the Hway.

With a cold air intake the Turbo is plenty loud when wound up, and of course the DSG's shift burps are magnificent.

YES! I had an A6 rental recently, and those exhaust pops from the quick shifting DSG were intoxicating.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

YES! I had an A6 rental recently, and those exhaust pops from the quick shifting DSG were intoxicating.

I drove an A4 loaner car for a test drive while shopping for a replacement for my TDI just before the buyback. Salesman told me to go to a curving mountain road up behind Charleston, I pushed it over to manual and lit it up the hill using the paddle shifters and the DSG crackle was amazing. Went back to dealership and left in a new one.
The amount of power and economy coming out of the same car is quite impressive.
I don't think the A4 pipes in any sound as it is one of the quietest vehicles I've ever owned.

The french way: THP Sound System

sBQ7ja

In some cases, this "fake" audio technology is actually put to good use. Audi uses it in their V8 4.0 TFSI. Apparently, when cylinders are deactivated (to improve fuel economy), it produces some unpleasing sounds, so audio engineers fixed it:

Quote:
When the 4.0 TFSI is operating in the four-cylinder mode, two high-end technologies counteract unwanted noise and vibration inside the car: Active noise control (ANC) and active engine mounts.

ANC records the overall interior noise pattern in a precisely differentiated manner at four microphones, and analyzes it to identify potentially disturbing constituents. If necessary, the system then emits an opposing sound via its loudspeakers, which cancels out the original noise so effectively that the car’s occupants cannot hear it.

Of course, the S6 with that engine does make fake engine sounds as well, and you can even adjust how much of that fake sound is produced.

Better then obnoxious loud “performance” exhausts running through your neighborhood.

Keeps certain drivers content without annoying the rest of world.

Seems like there are two categories here: fake (simulated) and enhanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back