Exxon Long Life Oils at Big Lots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was browsing the BigLot Store and saw some Exxon oil on sale for $5.00 a gal jug.
This Oil was pre Api-SL, Any problem in running this oil in a car with 3,000 mile oci.
Thinking of getting the 20/50 to put in my Sportbike.

quote:

Originally posted by klingon20:
Was browsing the BigLot Store and saw some Exxon oil on sale for $5.00 a gal jug.
This Oil was pre Api-SL, Any problem in running this oil in a car with 3,000 mile oci.
Thinking of getting the 20/50 to put in my Sportbike.

Long aaaaas your car can take the API certification rating
I.E. don't go toooo far back
But keep this in mind...
The API # and category are just White-Wash
The real thing that shows this is all the different MFG oil specification...

Yes, the SAD truth is that MANY of the oils on the market today may pass the designated specs in the calss but still can and do allow many engines to have a great deal of wear, while others not...

So just because it's SL or whatever, it still can have better performance in one engine and more poor results in another, while a so called SJ rated oil can out perform all others.

An example, is the oil I use / sell and cant mention, has been out since 1998 for instance
and yes it has ben tweeked here and there, but it is the same oil since then, it has been designed back then and in use (same oil) but has met all the so called API designations...

That said, the Sl oils do seem to be some dandy oils in general.

And my no means, unless IF I had a car taking SL (like now) I would use any oil in general (now and backwards)without worry as long as it falls in the range.

In other words you can go forward but not backward in rating for the car you now have.

So Car 1985 "ZZZ"
anything from then to now.
But don't let the rating fool you...

[ August 20, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Robbie Alexander ]

You might find five quarts in that "gallon jug."
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back