Extreme OCI Leaderboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: JustN89
I think Crusher takes the cake on here. He's somewhere around 60k right now. His UOAs are available in that part of the forum.

Amsoil SS 5w-20, 62,000 miles, 2011 Ford Expedition
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4453361/3

I agree, I think Crusher is taking the cake...I don't drive that much; I'm only coming up on 36K, but I've only got a 5 qt sump and a passenger car (and bypass filtration)...getting ready to send another sample to Blackstone...will post UOA in a few weeks.

My car is still kinda new with only 112K on it, motor's not quite broke in yet. Last oil change at 75K.

I have an extreme oilburner that I'm probably going to switch from 10k OCIs to top-ups only... does that count?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Most BITOGers just want to maintain their car. I'm curious if anybody pushes their oil as far as it can go?
There is hypermiling.... How far can you stretch out the useful life of a lube?

This is an experiment best saved for engines that are ACTUALLY reliable... Like Ford 4.6's and Chevy 5.3's...

Every time someone starts a thread about Extended OCI's, some BMW owner has to brag about how delicate their $8,000 engines are, and how they'll blow up if you go over the recommended OCI.

Moral of the story: if you want to do extended oil changes, don't buy fragile German cars.

Lastly, I have been doing 15,000 OCI's on my 4.6 Ford engine running cheap "full synthetic" (Harvest King, Super Tech, or some other Warren or Citgo oil) - since it's only $12 for a 5 qt jug and it is DEXOS approved.

Here are two shots of the valvetrain on the "fragile" N52N motor in my son's 108.5K mile 2009 E90. The minimum OCI has been 15k miles:

Looks pretty decent. What oil has he been using?
My CRV had been fed all sorts of cheap dealer and jiffy lube oil for more normal 5k OCI's and looked about the same when we checked the valve clearances at 150k miles, so it would've been a sludgy mess if it was ran to 15k OCI's on cheap oil.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Looks pretty decent. What oil has he been using?
My CRV had been fed all sorts of cheap dealer and jiffy lube oil for more normal 5k OCI's and looked about the same when we checked the valve clearances at 150k miles, so it would've been a sludgy mess if it was ran to 15k OCI's on cheap oil.

BMW 5W-30 Synthetic for all but the most recent OCI, when he switched to BMW 0W-30 Synthetic.

Most BITOGers just want to maintain their car. I'm curious if anybody pushes their oil as far as it can go?

There is hypermiling for people trying to get highest MPG. Is there a community for people trying to get the longest OCI using catch cans, boutique oils, Blackstone recommendations of "15k was great, try 17k next time", and adding 2k every OCI?

How far can you stretch out the useful life of a lube?

I was comfortable when I had my '04 Hyundai Elantra doing 10,000 mile intervals without a UOA.
I was doing 95% highway driving (30 miles each way for work, all freeway, no traffic). I was using either Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, or Valvoline Synpower and either a Wix filter or an OEM Hyundai.

If I ever have another vehicle that I only do highway driving with, I will do 10,000 mile intervals again.
My current driving is a lot of short trips in both vehicles, so 5000 miles is my limit now (almost an annual change in the Scion).

There is hypermiling.... How far can you stretch out the useful life of a lube?

This is an experiment best saved for engines that are ACTUALLY reliable... Like Ford 4.6's and Chevy 5.3's...

Every time someone starts a thread about Extended OCI's, some BMW owner has to brag about how delicate their $8,000 engines are, and how they'll blow up if you go over the recommended OCI.

Moral of the story: if you want to do extended oil changes, don't buy fragile German cars.

Lastly, I have been doing 15,000 OCI's on my 4.6 Ford engine running cheap "full synthetic" (Harvest King, Super Tech, or some other Warren or Citgo oil) - since it's only $12 for a 5 qt jug and it is DEXOS approved.

Here are two shots of the valvetrain on the "fragile" N52N motor in my son's 108.5K mile 2009 E90. The minimum OCI has been 15k miles:

Nice! Must be using a quality oil.

Whups, should have read further:

BMW 5W-30 Synthetic for all but the most recent OCI, when he switched to BMW 0W-30 Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I went 10,000 miles once.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I went 10,000 miles once.

Sounds like you did it twice LOL!

27.gif
I know, I know double post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I think DNewton takes the cake, for conventional at least. Believe he had a 12 or 18K run on supertech conventional. And it wasn't as bad as we would think!
I recall this being from a vehicle that holds 2 gallons of oil, less impressive than a vehicle that takes half of that. I recall some UOA of a civic going 25k on amsoil with a 4qt sump
It was a 1995 Mecury Villager which holds 4.2 QTs of oil.

For a Nissan of that era, it might as well be 2 gallons!

Don't most of those take like 2.5 or 3 quarts of oil MAX?

I routinely run my Dodge diesel Ram to 30k miles, and accidently ran to 37k one time. Just completed a 36k mile OCI. Engine has 392k on it.

Last edited:
Farthest I've ever gone is 10k with my old truck and that was only because I was too busy to stop and get it done earlier. Now I stick to 7500 mile intervals, could probably go all the way to 10k but I don't feel comfortable doing it. Oil's cheap, engines aren't so I change frequently.

Few years ago, I did 8K plus on M1EP with a M1 filter. All highway(95%). In about 6 months time. I was confident I could’ve doubled that OCI without concern.

Did 18,900 miles on my old Toyota Carina once. Not sure what oil but probably a cheap Group I 15W40. Basically drove it until the red light came on. No top ups. Did it sort of by accident. Was massively busy at work (ironically formulating engine oils) and had no time for anything!

Did 15,500 miles once on my old Daihatsu Sirion. Oil was a 0W20 Group III/IV I'd cooked up in the lab. No top-ups, which in retrospect I should have done as 40% of the oil had disappeared (as I recall the Noack are something like 11.3%). Did a UOA on the final oil and it was surprisingly good. Wear metals were all very low.

I respect crusher's thread with 60k miles but for me, anything that burns oil skews results. My Toyota burns oil, so I could put in a long lasting filter and simply keep topping up, with UOA to verify TBN etc. When you use a high quality oil with a massive TBN and also do considerable highway cruising only, the miles can really stack up and the oil stay in usable condition for longer. And all the top ups will replenish the oil's TBN and add life.

In my opinion, the hobby of running the oil for longer and getting the most out of it should include a miles per L/quart of lube used. This should be considered. Xx miles off Xx L/quarts of oil used during OCI.

Someone gets 13,000 miles off an OCI with good results but their sump is 8 quarts. Another gets 11,000 miles from their OCI but their sump is 4 quarts, they win at oil economy because they would be traveling 22,000 miles if they had 8 quarts to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back