Extended OCI and warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody here can hem and haw about this or that and internet lawyer all day. It boils down to how much risk one is willing to assume? Most who advocate something else outside OEM recommendations is not going to be standing next to you when and if a problem arises nor compensating you. Following owners manual recommendations for service interval, weight grade and specification is the path of least resistance should an issue arise.

That being said, I am not going to be a hypocrite and say I toe the line 100% for what the manufacturer recommends. But I alone know the risks and assume those.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Why not just comply in the first place ?

When even our mates down under tell you that, you know that you actually should... They’re known for wild things such as pouring 15W40 into about anything, without any afterthought whatsoever... if they say “comply” then the reason for doing so must be pretty strong....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
PWMDMD said:
Never understood wanting to extend OCI unless for some reason so much mileage was put on a vehicle that oil would need to be changed every month or so if OCI was not extended.

Bingo....this idea stems from my previous car (2014 Mazda3) where I had a new job in a different state and I was waiting to sell my house for nearly 12 months. The commute was 300 miles per day and it was [censored]. At that rate I would've needed to change the oil every 5th week at 7500 mile OCI. It was too much money to bring to Valvoline and I was too [censored] tired to do it myself. Instead I ran Amsoil SS and a Fram Ultra and took UOAs at 7500 and ran it 15K between changes. The UOAs always looked fine and there just was never an issue. Of course I blew through the power train warranty mileage very quickly so it didn't really matter. Anyway I drove that car to 100K+ with no issues and traded it in. It did make me wonder if this wasn't a reasonable idea. Now I drive 15 miles per day and fully intend on following the MM - interesting discussion though.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Everybody here can hem and haw about this or that and internet lawyer all day. It boils down to how much risk one is willing to assume? ....

Exactly what I said in my previous post. The OP is now fully informed about the risk and can make the call.

Generally speaking, Honda is 0-15% MM or one year max for OC, every other OC for FCI. Ime, the MM with Accord 15% MM will get to 6-6.5k miles in a year mixed driving. More highway, I'd expect up to 10k miles. With that oci and every other OC for filter, extending the OCI wouldn't seem to have much cost benefit. Add the cost of UOA each time, even less.

Why would you want to extend OCI on any vehicle if you want what is best for it.

Just because someone extends an OCI doesn't always mean that its not the best for the vehicles!

Originally Posted By: deven
Why would you want to extend OCI on any vehicle if you want what is best for it.

Just because someone extends an OCI doesn't always mean that its not the best for the vehicles!

do what's best for your vehicle I'll keep my car in warranty.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: deven

do what's best for your vehicle I'll keep my vehicle in warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back