Excess Vehicles May Be Towed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Some cities are trying to crack down on people renting a house and having 2 or 3 families under one roof.

Very common here in Florida for a person to rent out rooms in a 4 bedroom house and 8 cars in front of the house at night.

This exactly. And apparently the garage is the first room to be renovated into living quarters, even though it doesn't have the right life safety equipment.

So they've found a chokepoint-- get those cars out of sight and into your garage which we know doesn't have room for that sort of thing anymore.

The taxpayer part of me approves while the libertarian doesn't, so I'm evenly split.
laugh.gif

Meanwhile my governor wants to charge an extra $150 a year for my Prius to pay for road maintenance-- that's 1/5 what I paid for it!
mad.gif

A couple of things:

1. From the posts in this thread, I see many of you believe this is a Minnesota issue. FYI, this is a Minneapolis City Code, enforced only in the City of Minneapolis. There are only 413,000 residents of the City, this does not apply to the other 5.15 million residents of Minnesota residing elsewhere. Many of us have already made our choice to not live in the City proper.

2. Minnesota is not a big HOA state for single family properties. As a result, much of what is dealt with in other places by the HOA becomes enforced in City Ordinance.

3. Many of you are upset that major automotive repair is not allowed on your driveway. To be blunt, that law is on the books in way more places than you realize. And for the occasional shadetree mechanic, it will never be enforced. For someone looking to bend the rules and run a cheap car shop out of a garage at a house, it is, and that's how it ends up being enforced. (Having been involved in Code enforcement issues at the municipal level, its true.) And even better advice, is just be nice to your neighbors, then they don't complain.

In principal, I agree with the idea that regulating the number of cars parked outside is going too far. So long as the parking meets all the other requirements, there should be zero reason to enforce a total maximum number allowed.

Originally Posted By: Collingwood
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Owning property is a privilege, not a right, that's why the majority of the population don't own anything of value.

Well, in the US it is a right, 331 U.S. 1.

It sounds as if Minnesota is trying their best to become another California.

Sure is. Both states prohibit phone holders being mounted to the windshield.

Actually, no. This rule was changed several years ago and these mounts are legal in Minnesota, so long as placed properly.

Some older neighborhoods have limited/no garage space, and sometimes not even any driveway! Id suspect that Minneapolis is like this and has a real parking and road clearance issue. Ive seen a lot of speculation and some not so desirable. Time to let this settle down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back