Post Your RV w/Tow Vehicle

Do you use an RV of sorts to travel in? Let's see them. If you tow it let's see the whole rig. (y)

1994 Lance Truck Camper w/2007 F-350 6.0L
IMG_20211110_094720 (2).jpg

IMG_20211110_094720 (2).jpg

Last edited:
2012 Ram CTD with a 2014 Forest River 321BHTS.
FWIW the side profile is from Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley MN in September 2019 and the other picture is from Victor ID in August 2019.

Just my $0.02

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0461.jpeg
    IMG_0461.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Was my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I sold it to my aunt this year and she bought a 2023 NuCamp Tab400 that I've camped in a few times, I'll take it on some trips of my own too. The Jeep is getting tired and this trailer is about the limit for what it can do. Her new vehicle is on preorder and it'll be able to pull much better. Fingers crossed it stays together for a bit longer. CEL is starting to cause a forehead tan line for the driver 🤣.

AEEEE69B-0DC2-47AF-8B43-5DFF765B2CE2.jpeg

1994 Freightliner tractor and 2004 Keystone Montana 35ft 4 season. Took this the day I got the trailer in 2021. The trailer was bought to be a stepping stone until I can build a shop with living quarters and is doing great. I really like it. Been living in it full time since it was purchased.

Might travel with it down the road when the shop is done.

IMG_3314.jpg

At about 4500 miles towed so far, and taking a short trip this weekend.

View attachment 192897View attachment 192898
I have the exact same trailer-but I tow with an F150 w/the 3.5. Out here climbing mountain passes along I-80 (7,000ft Parley Pass-8,640ft Sherman's Summit) the Ranger would be extremely under powered.

But that's still a nice looking combo!

Last edited:
Things are a bit different over here in Europe. We place a lot less weight on the back of the car and therefore the axles on our trailer tend to be more centre. It does mean that if the trailer is poorly loaded (too much weight in the rear) then you can end up with a pendulum effect and experience a 'snake'. Not happened to me yet though! I'm quite conscious about how the trailer is loaded. The advantage here is we can tow reasonable weights with far smaller vehicles. For example, you could buy a VW Golf over here with a 1.5TFSI engine and pull 1,800kgs (4000lbs).

This is our current setup. A 2000 Bailey Pageant Moselle towed by our 2022 Dacia Duster 4WD 1.5DCi. The caravan weighs ~1400kg (~3100lbs) fully loaded and I aim for a towball limit of 75kgs. We have a 60mph speed limit when towing on motorways in the UK and the Duster is more than capable of pulling it along in a reasonable calm and comfortable manner and even returning 30mpg+ despite a combined weight in excess of 3,000kgs (~6,600lbs).

IMG_20230415_105624.jpg

IMG_20230622_174115.jpg

Things are a bit different over here in Europe. We place a lot less weight on the back of the car and therefore the axles on our trailer tend to be more centre. It does mean that if the trailer is poorly loaded (too much weight in the rear) then you can end up with a pendulum effect and experience a 'snake'. Not happened to me yet though! I'm quite conscious about how the trailer is loaded. The advantage here is we can tow reasonable weights with far smaller vehicles. For example, you could buy a VW Golf over here with a 1.5TFSI engine and pull 1,800kgs (4000lbs).

This is our current setup. A 2000 Bailey Pageant Moselle towed by our 2022 Dacia Duster 4WD 1.5DCi. The caravan weighs ~1400kg (~3100lbs) fully loaded and I aim for a towball limit of 75kgs. We have a 60mph speed limit when towing on motorways in the UK and the Duster is more than capable of pulling it along in a reasonable calm and comfortable manner and even returning 30mpg+ despite a combined weight in excess of 3,000kgs (~6,600lbs).

View attachment 192915
View attachment 192916
Y'all also have a very low towing speed limit, no?

I'll admit, your trailers give me the willies just looking at them. Mainly because I'm used to pulling over here where a lot of people travel at normal interstate speeds 65-80mph in some cases. My brain sees those wheels in the center and thinks 'insta highway death'.

1994 Freightliner tractor and 2004 Keystone Montana 35ft 4 season. Took this the day I got the trailer in 2021. The trailer was bought to be a stepping stone until I can build a shop with living quarters and is doing great. I really like it. Been living in it full time since it was purchased.

Might travel with it down the road when the shop is done.

View attachment 192900
Well, one thing is for certain. The people over at IRV2 probably won't ever tell you that you don't have enough truck!!

Y'all also have a very low towing speed limit, no?

I'll admit, your trailers give me the willies just looking at them. Mainly because I'm used to pulling over here where a lot of people travel at normal interstate speeds 65-80mph in some cases. My brain sees those wheels in the center and thinks 'insta highway death'.

On our motorways where the speed limit is 70mph, we are limited to 60mph. Lorries are limited to 60mph also so it's never an issue. I just tuck in behind one, set cruise control and listen to some music!

I actually cruise at 60mph a lot, especially for work because that 10mph can easily yield an additional 15-20mpg.

We've had RV's for awhile now, but sold the most recent one about 6 months ago. The handwriting has been on the wall for awhile now, that discretionary spending on RV's is slowing from the pandemic high. A colleague who just had to have our RV ( he bugged me to sell it to him every time I saw him) bought it for what we had in it. Far above 'book' value, and he knew that, but was undeterred.

It was NOT one of those units built in Elkhart, Indiana. I may look for a bargain in the future, as units are not selling well.

Well, one thing is for certain. The people over at IRV2 probably won't ever tell you that you don't have enough truck!!
What do they tell you?

Some might think we have too much truck for what we tow. What I know is this outfit is rock solid on the highway in every condition we've encountered, the only thing that causes a little ripple is when a car hauler passes. I knew this would be the last truck I'll buy and wanted our retirement travels to be as stress free as possible and I was not buying another truck if we found out this trailer wasn't big enough to travel for extended periods. Turns out it is so this is our setup until we quit traveling. Wife is comfortable with it and has driven 50% of our towing miles.

What do they tell you?

Some might think we have too much truck for what we tow. What I know is this outfit is rock solid on the highway in every condition we've encountered, the only thing that causes a little ripple is when a car hauler passes. I knew this would be the last truck I'll buy and wanted our retirement travels to be as stress free as possible and I was not buying another truck if we found out this trailer wasn't big enough to travel for extended periods. Turns out it is so this is our setup until we quit traveling. Wife is comfortable with it and has driven 50% of our towing miles.
The same thing. Until I presented facts, then they begrudgingly accepted it. But as a whole, the group over there thinks midsizes can't tow much more than a pop-up.

Having too much is never a bad idea at all, and I don't argue that. I argue for using reason, facts, and your comfort level when figuring out what to do and how to go about it.

I don't think everyone should tow what I do with my truck, but it is well within the truck and my abilities. Not everyone needs/wants a 1/2-3/4 ton truck for various reasons and those people should be able to have a reasonable conversation with people about it as opposed to just being written off with a wave of the hand and a 'get a bigger truck' comment.

But I gave up.

Wait… Where is the depreciation police? They should be coming out of the woodwork to tell people how much they could be investing if they didn’t have RV’s?

Oh, so RV’s are fine? It is just new cars that depreciate. Gotcha!

Kidding of course. 😉 Nice rigs y’all!

Back