EVs and our future

Depends on location and model.
I just ran quotes for Colorado Springs:

Tesla Model 3 long range: $1534 for six month
Toyota Sienna Hybrid: $834 for six months
VW ID4: $752 for six months.

That is all Progressive, which is not most affordable here in CO last 5-6 years.
How about for us less fortunate folks. ;) NY 11003, which is not NYC but close enough for a commute.

Last edited:
How about for us less fortunate folks. ;) NY 11003, which is not NYC but close enough for a commute.
There are more variables than just ZIP code income etc. Colorado Springs, where I am, has above average cost of insurance bcs. we are hail capital of the US. Las Vegas doesn’t have any storms, but my in laws pay high car insurance bcs. bunch of drunk tourists etc.
in San Diego for example, where I lived before moving here, I paid around 30% less for car insurance.

Florida has double whammy. Regular storms, and anarchic insurance market.

There are more variables than just ZIP code income etc. Colorado Springs, where I am, has above average cost of insurance bcs. we are hail capital of the US. Las Vegas doesn’t have any storms, but my in laws pay high car insurance bcs. bunch of drunk tourists etc.
in San Diego for example, where I lived before moving here, I paid around 30% less for car insurance.

Florida has double whammy. Regular storms, and anarchic insurance market.
Gotcha. My son learned the hard way moving from Whidbey Island, WA to the Tampa area of Florida, IIRC his auto insurance tripled, and then some. I have a feeling when his lease is up he's out of Florida.

The biggest difference between the times surrounding the horse/car debate is that the free market was the entire driving force behind the competition. I don't remember reading in our history books of the promised demise of fodder for the horse by the then current aristocracy.
You missed the part of industrialists backing the lobbying efforts to build roads at local, state, and federal level.

Remember roads did not exist :)! They were miserable, bumpy and sometimes not passable horse and wagon trails when automobiles starting taking off.

Massive amounts of money were pushed into building a network of highways and roads. The current push of EV is smaller task to make happen in terms of infrastructure changes.

At some point the states are going to be upset at loosing the petro tax dollars and put a huge road tax based on mileage on these things.
They already have the scheme figured out, you go for the inspection sticker once a year thy get the odometer reading and that's it they know you went x miles in this vehicle. Mass is quietly making changes as to when the car gets inspected, so far the Fed and state have been throwing money at EV buyers and the EV owners have been getting over but that is coming to a screeching halt.

Why bother with that when you can tax the crap out everyone a fixed amount?

3/5s of states already overcharge EVs for special taxes, taxes that are unnecessary and cost more to collect than they make due to the extremely small number of the cars on the road

You missed the part of industrialists backing the lobbying efforts to build roads at local, state, and federal level.

Remember roads did not exist :)! They were miserable, bumpy and sometimes not passable horse and wagon trails when automobiles starting taking off.
Massive amounts of money were pushed into building a network of highways and roads. The current push of EV is smaller task to make happen in terms of infrastructure changes.
I would only question why the push?
Why are tax dollars being spent? The public isnt demanding it. Its agenda/idea push that will do nothing to improve road transportation.

The roads exist already, transportation will remain the same, actually roads will deteriorate faster with the adoption of EVs.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Tesla put in Tesla chargers - now their competitors want who to do that ?
Yeah and think about this one. Tesla might be considered a monopoly one day and have the recharging stations split up.
Right now, it would be like allowing GM or Toyota to control all the gas stations where their cars have to fill up.

Depends on location and model.
I just ran quotes for Colorado Springs:

Tesla Model 3 long range: $1534 for six month
Toyota Sienna Hybrid: $834 for six months
VW ID4: $752 for six months.

That is all Progressive, which is not most affordable here in CO last 5-6 years.
Insurance companies know the insane torque ev's have and that morons will race from stoplight to stoplight so theirs a premium. What's the insurance on a dodge hellcat or a mustang gt500?

Yeah and think about this one. Tesla might be considered a monopoly one day and have the recharging stations split up.
Right now, it would be like allowing GM or Toyota to control all the gas stations where their cars have to fill up.
You are thinking about the oil cartel

Here is some new data on EV sales.
924B12D8-817C-4965-A93B-C50942B6F84F.jpg
9F8DC215-F91A-42E0-9095-A9FC025CB0E8.jpg
A5B16856-44A3-4FF1-85DC-C51E8BD6976B.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is data on registrations by state as of the end of 2021. This is very much a California thing. Some folks have mentioned that Florida is catching up to California. Not even close. Also, as the number of EV’s climb, it’s harder to have high yearly growth percentages. Only Oklahoma had over 100% growth and that’s because they registered only 1700 cars in 2020.

320E92EB-8F41-4C85-8864-71FA2DC4D9CF.png
FF98AE52-2390-4314-935A-2B72853AF789.png
9AE74EF2-5C3D-4954-B99B-3DAF526C01C1.png

Last edited:
From another standpoint, let's compare Tesla and the big dog Toyota. Toyota sold 8 times more vehicles than Tesla last quarter but made less money. From a high level, that means Tesla makes 8 times more per car than Toyota.

"While it’s still true that some of the biggest automakers, like Toyota, deliver millions more vehicles than Tesla, it’s not true that they necessarily make more money doing so.

For example, Tesla reported $3.29 billion in net profit last quarter compared to Toyota earning 434.2 billion yen (roughly $3.15 billion USD). That’s despite Toyota delivering almost eight times more cars than Tesla during the same time."

Now about Tesla stock... Oops!

Important to note for someone that may not realize it. The charts show market share of the electric vehicle market not the motor vehicle market.
Another note of importance is growth rate means absolutely nothing other than the fact that a car company might’ve sold 10,000 vehicles last year and this year is selling 20,000 it’s still just a needle in a haystack.

I understand as an investor some people may care about Tesla profit margin but the consumer could care less and why the success of Amazon.
In fact and it’s low profit margins that Amazon is the most successful retailer in the world.

It’s also fact in 2021 Tesla had zero profit in the United States and much of its profit was in China which is now under increasing price pressures as Tesla started offering incentives for the first time on the Chinese built vehicles and another company is overtaking them by huge margins.
This is why I felt when Tesla was selling at 90 times earnings except for speculation it wasn’t a stock to pour money into at that high PE but if you don’t agree it’s a perfect time to buy now that the price is down 50% from 12 months ago.
These are my personal feelings, dozens of car manufacturers around the world make motor vehicles, it’s a simple as that motor vehicle. Electric motor or gas motor it’s a vehicle and now all the gas motors in those vehicles a large percentage are being changed into electric motors. Just doesn’t seem rocket science to me when those manufacturers sell between 3 and 20 times earnings Tesla was selling at close to 100.
But again I’m just saying the public only cares about price, enthusiasts care about other stuff that adds value to their purchase and those are the people in these forums input maybe is a little one sided??

Last edited:
I understand as an investor some people may care about Tesla profit margin but the consumer could care less and why the success of Amazon.
In fact and it’s low profit margins that Amazon is the most successful retailer in the world.

It’s also fact in 2021 Tesla had zero profit in the United States and much of its profit was in China which is now under increasing price pressures as Tesla started offering incentives for the first time on the Chinese built vehicles and another company is overtaking them by huge margins.
This is why I felt when Tesla was selling at 90 times earnings except for speculation it wasn’t a stock to pour money into at that high PE but if you don’t agree it’s a perfect time to buy now that the price is down 50% from 12 months ago.
These are my personal feelings, dozens of car manufacturers around the world make motor vehicles, it’s a simple as that motor vehicle. Electric motor or gas motor it’s a vehicle and now all the gas motors in those vehicles a large percentage are being changed into electric motors. Just doesn’t seem rocket science to me when those manufacturers sell between 3 and 20 times earnings Tesla was selling at close to 100.
But again I’m just saying the public only cares about price, enthusiasts care about other stuff that adds value to their purchase and those are the people in these forums dominput is a little lope sided??
Profit from operations is incredible leverage that allows companies to grow, invest, undercut their competition and more.
The fact that Tesla had more profit than the mighty Toyota is simply unheard of in business.

Does any other company make any profit on their EV business unit? I don't think so. Yet Tesla bests Toyota on a real dollar basis.

Back