EVs and our future

The government mandated fuel injection and computer controlled engines via emissions and fuel economy standards. Anyone complaining now? :)

@OVERKILL now that I think about it, I still had the original Delco coil in my parts. I was ecstatic when I found it and put it back on the original manifold where it came way back in 1968. Yup. Modern stuff is amazing, but on some cars original is so cool.

@OVERKILL now that I think about it, I still had the original Delco coil in my parts. I was ecstatic when I found it and put it back on the original manifold where it came way back in 1968. Yup. Modern stuff is amazing, but on some cars original is so cool.
I got rid of both my 65 vettes..the coupe was stock with a 327, points, Carter carb and the good obsolete stuff like capacitors lol....my turn signal stopped working and I had to spend a month going to stereo shops to find the right capacitor lol...that's when I knew I had to get rid of the obsolete crap...the big block convertible needed a full resto so I unloaded that too

It wasn't till I owned that **** untill I understood old men warning about vettes needing a paint job every 5 years...it isn't the paint that goes bad but all the rock chips on fiberglass in the front that makes the paint job inevitable

Last edited:
@Koainn how about this one? 1968 L36, mostly original. Body and paint took 5 months. Every panel was reworked or replaced. This would be a $25K paint job today, at the minimum. The guy only did Vettes. Only real option is the AM-FM Stereo radio, which was rare and expensive in 1968.
I call it my Plain Jane Roadster.
68 Vette Shiny Side.jpg

68 side.jpg

It's pretty...rally wheels are the best looking ever in my opinion but I'd rather have a c7 or 8 🙂

Carbureted cars are stinky and smelly...my Vette had the crankcase vent to air so when I spent the week driving it cause I drove em as much as I could I'd be covered in an oil film. Lol

Now days I'll pull over and wait a few minutes instead of being behind a carbureted classic that stinks to high heaven and chokes the hell out of me....good riddance to bad rubbish 🙂

Last edited:
This one was mine...this is a cellphone pic of a real photo lol so may be blurry. I bought that in 95...if I get another classic Vette it will be a restomod..no more screwing with carbs or capacitors

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_200520.jpg
    IMG_20220305_200520.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
When everything is included, the ownership cost per mile will end-up being astronomical unless a person purchases a new one every 3 years or so. At the 10-12 year old time frame, when the battery is worn-out, the cars will be completely worthless. At 10-12 years old most ICE vehicles have plenty of life left in them and have in many cases retained a pretty fair resale value.
In addition …
Someone else pointed out the high cost of insuring an EV.
He states up to around $4000 a year?
My much larger, more comfortable and much loved Chevy Traverse with its 5000 lb tow rating insurance cost less than $700 a year, this is a full robust insurance policy.

In contrast an EV with the high purchase price, insurance costs, inconvenience of fueling, the cost would have to be much less than my ICE vehicle if a similar ice vehicle exists someday.

Last edited:
EV’s are not better than fuel powered vehicles. This is markedly different than the horse to steam comparison (Muscle power vs engine power) or the change from steam power to diesel, which is generally said to be a 6x-10x improvement in capability.

EV’s represent a significant reduction in capability AND efficiency. Capability that (with regard to cars) admittedly is partially offset by 1700 pound battery packs. But again, the energy Consumed in a power plant to drive an EV a mile down the highway is more than a modern gas car.

In addition …
My much larger, more comfortable and much loved Chevy Traverse with its 5000 lb tow rating insurance cost less than $1000 a year.

In contrast an EV with the high purchase price, insurance costs, inconvenience of fueling, the cost would have to be much less than my ICE vehicle if a similar ice vehicle exists someday.
At some point the states are going to be upset at loosing the petro tax dollars and put a huge road tax based on mileage on these things.
They already have the scheme figured out, you go for the inspection sticker once a year thy get the odometer reading and that's it they know you went x miles in this vehicle. Mass is quietly making changes as to when the car gets inspected, so far the Fed and state have been throwing money at EV buyers and the EV owners have been getting over but that is coming to a screeching halt.

Saw a video where cars compared on track.
Tesla won first few rounds, then remaining 50 laps won porsche, on one tank of gas.
Tesla had to charge like 3 times...

At some point the states are going to be upset at loosing the petro tax dollars and put a huge road tax based on mileage on these things.
They already have the scheme figured out, you go for the inspection sticker once a year thy get the odometer reading and that's it they know you went x miles in this vehicle. Mass is quietly making changes as to when the car gets inspected, so far the Fed and state have been throwing money at EV buyers and the EV owners have been getting over but that is coming to a screeching halt.
We don’t have vehicle inspections in the land of the free and home of the brave. South Carolina! (Gosh I love this place)

I’m sure they have something figured out for EVs, I’m just not sure what, maybe an annual registration renewal with miles driven charge for EVs.

Or maybe charge sales tax on EVs and apply to transportation dept.
Right now the maximum sales tax on any ICE vehicle is $500. ( not a misprint)

Example, buy a $60,000 dollar car total sales tax is $500, same for boats, cars and airplanes.
Though you do pay annual personal property tax on them and is a local county tax. Depending what county your in can get pricey, than again your house taxes are just as low.

Last edited:
This transition needs to happen more slowly and in an orderly fashion than what is being thrust upon us by TPTB.
You nailed it, the way TPTB is going about this is all wrong. IMO a huge percentage of the inflation they're fighting was brought on by higher energy costs. The US was energy independent not so long ago, now we beg our enemies for oil, and suck it out of the SPR in hopes to lower prices. LOL Trying to lower energy costs, one of the biggest contributors to this inflation by raising interest rates is not going to work, just like trying to put out a fire by tossing gasoline at it. This all stems from the push to go green.

I know change to EV is coming, but letting the oil industry do its thing while the transition happens would have been a lot smarter, and the voting public would suffer a lot less as a result. Rant off.

Actually it is being addressed. Europe is ahead of the game by a couple of years and getting ready to release new regs.

ahh the carbon footprint nonsense in Soviet state of EU😁. This is a way for the corporations to blame they workers or customers for the pollution(,New ISO standard). Its normal today that companies ask about how you get to work in the morning, (tracking carbon footprint 👣)

I grew up around antique stuff. My grandfather was an avid collector and we had tons of boats from the 20's, 30's and 40's (as well as a few newer ones from the 60's and 70's) that had points, carbs (some of them updraft), antique tractors, snowmobiles...etc. Messing with that stuff for years, I absolutely don't miss it.

While you might have had to make sure you had the TFI module properly heat greased (or remote mounted), my favourite era is EEC-IV Ford stuff. Great fuel injection, very little emissions equipment, easy to tune and ridiculously flexible when it came to dealing with mods if you had mass air.

In addition …
My much larger, more comfortable and much loved Chevy Traverse with its 5000 lb tow rating insurance cost less than $700 a year, this is a full robust insurance policy.

Depends on location and model.
I just ran quotes for Colorado Springs:

Tesla Model 3 long range: $1534 for six month
Toyota Sienna Hybrid: $834 for six months
VW ID4: $752 for six months.

That is all Progressive, which is not most affordable here in CO last 5-6 years.

Back