Ever Take a Hyundai to 300k miles?

Trav is a fan of Bosch which is most likely why the emissions from him aren't within standards. It's the poor quality Bosch sensors affecting it.

thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by JLTD
Calling StevieC...

My Santa Fe went that far and then the camshaft let go. Was a great car to me. All original with the exception of the Alternator, Battery, tires, brakes and Oxygen sensors.

I'm a bit late because I have a bad cold at the moment.

That's impressive. What year was your Santa Fe?

300K? Sure, some have made it. Others have spun rod bearings, like in the car that I have. The Theta series 4 cylinders built in Alabama have been particularly bad.

I'll flog mine until it breaks. I got it pretty cheap. If I had to pay anywhere near book, I would have just got something else.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted by csandste

Douglas Nix
June 30, 2017 at 1:56 am
A Hyundai dealership in St Louis had a 2011 Sonata 2.4 GDI on the showroom floor. It had 500K miles on it. This was in 2014. I didn't hear the car run but the salesman said it ran well and was the original engine. They placed in the showroom floor to show customers that hyu"Ah gentlemen, you know why we are Hyundai does make long lasting cars.

That is my dealership. I have seen it on the sales floor. I recently spoke to service advisor there who said they replaced 500 Theta II engines. They do not advertise that one.
smile.gif

Regarding going 300k it is done by some over at Hyundai-Forums.

It would seem over the years that Hyundai has blamed any handy "usual suspect" as the cause for significantly higher Theta II engine failure. At first, when the larger turbo was still in use, I thought a lot were due to mods by folks wanting 300+ HP on the wheel. I say on the wheel as there's no limited slip differential offered. Which is another reason I wouldn't want anywhere close to that much HP on a Hyundai sedan.

W/953 campaign the new knock detector/software is being used as a troubleshooting nanny throwing the auto into a 2K rpm max/limp mode; whether rod knock, bad CV half shaft bearing & my speculation of driving fast over multiple bumpy RR tracks crossing.

Theta III is on the way, I'm sure not a moment to soon for Hyundais dealers, but was a single issue actually identified as the primary culprit in the Theta II soaring failure rate?

-----
ETA: I like the original swoopy Sonata design and the Theta II w/original turbo provided a lot of power w/good MPG although it suffered from mediocre brakes and enough torque on the low end to compete w/competitors in 0-60, 1/4 mile runs. Granted it did offer 100K on powertrain.

Hyundai also upped that warranty to 120K completely leaving out customers that do not average 12K a year. If the fail at any time, so much concern you need an engine knock nanny revision, is so crucial then why is leaving lower mileage drivers w/arse hanging in the breeze w/fingers crossed? Why didn't they obtain another two years warranty?

Hyundai rewards the higher mileage driver whilst turning their back on poor schmucks as me that do not/will not see five digit yearly miles. Would it kill them to offer a kosher warranty extension for the other bums? Like the Seinfeld show, "Festivus for the rest of us".

I'd celebrate that holiday cheer.

Originally Posted by AmoryBlaine
Originally Posted by Trav
Sounds like a millennial problem to me. A good dope slap would fix him right up.
lol.gif

I'm very curious how you came up with millennial. I hope you will answer.

A seminar to understand why someone is a jerk, really? That fits right in with safe spaces, cuddly animals, blow bubbles, yellow cards if the drill instructor is to nasty to you and all the rest of that silly crap.

Trav is a fan of Bosch which is most likely why the emissions from him aren't within standards. It's the poor quality Bosch sensors affecting it.

thankyou2.gif

Well that's one explanation.
lol.gif

thankyou2.gif

Well that's one explanation.
lol.gif

No rebuttal?

Originally Posted by Sayonara_Sonata

Theta III is on the way, I'm sure not a moment to soon for Hyundais dealers, but was a single issue actually identified as the primary culprit in the Theta II soaring failure rate?

According to the service advisor I talked to no. He said they heard various things and said Hyundai is still trying to figure it out. Kia does not have a a mileage restriction on the extended warranty so it looks like they figured out how to keep some owners loyal.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted by Sayonara_Sonata

According to the service advisor I talked to no. He said they heard various things and said Hyundai is still trying to figure it out. Kia does not have a mileage restriction on the extended warranty so it looks like they figured out how to keep some owners loyal.

I heard that about Kia. I bought in 2010, so that option wasn't available. Overall I like the auto & the engine. Not a sports auto though fairly comfortable, wide short sidewall tyres help it's shortcomings in handling and if you're already at 25mph & up the little turbo makes for grand passing gear.

Price was right. It was the Sonata or the Buick Regal.

I think Hyundai should've named it, Divine Wind RS & upped it to 2.3T coupe shaped as the Sonata.

I would've ordered the competition orange package; 46 centimeter orange circles on the bonnet, boot & doors w/crossing samurai swords on top ..

Last edited:
Should have posted a you tube video its faster. LOL

A seminar to understand why someone is a jerk, really? That fits right in with safe spaces, cuddly animals, blow bubbles, yellow cards if the drill instructor is to nasty to you and all the rest of that silly crap.

And that isn't? Ok... Send me your LTFT numbers you are obviously a bit rich.

I know a driver in SE Asia that has a early 2000's Kia van. Not a Hyundai but close. A couple of years ago he had 600,000 km on the engine. The van is pretty beat up but still goes.

Whats not ok? Why would I sent you my fuel trims, you wouldn't know how to interpret them properly them anyway without a video. LOL

Try me you arrogant _________________ I posted the fuel trim video to help other Novice folks here not everyone wrenches daily.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Neither do you so don't get you panties in a wad.
crazy2.gif

So that somehow makes you better than me? I've done enough... I think your designations are going to your head. I'm amazed you can fit through the door with that Ego.

coffee2.gif
Have a good day.

Last edited:
Are you claiming to be a mechanic now after admitting many times that you are not. You know a little about a few things to do with vehicles and that's fine but your postings show a lack of experience and skill when it comes down to anything more than very basic repairs.

Back