ENGINE DRESSING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Semi-OT
What is this stuff that some used car dealers/auction sites put on engines? It almost looks like a clearcoat, best of all these engines, no matter how old - look spotless.

Now you want to know some of our "secrets"? No big deal, it's just clear lacquer spray paint. Only problem is it tends to crack on radiator hoses, and if hot enough, will yellow. I've seen some other urethane based clearcoat engine spray that supposedly doesn't yellow, but I've never tried it.

I use a very thin solution of water-based interior dressing cut about 30-50% with water for my engine compartments. This eliminates that "greasy" look, but shines everything up real nice without looking too over the top fake shiny. Once the engine is degreased completely and rinsed, I take my thinned out dressing in a cheap garden sprayer, and spray down the whole compartment real good, let it sit for a couple minutes, then take a blow gun attatched to shop air and blow everything dry. I then let the engine sit and idle for a while while I clean the exterior of the car to heat everything up and further aid in drying.
They turn out showroom perfect every time. Do the engine first, as the silicone dressing will splatter everywhere, and you don't want any of that on a newly washed/waxed paint...It'll smear like crazy.

I knew there was something like that
Thanks Mike for your secret
smile.gif

That's exactly what I'm talking about...Any cheap white silicone dressing like Armor-All, Son Of A Gun, or whatever's on sale. I use Auto Magic's Super Dress-it, just because I still have some left. Not sure what I'll try once it's gone.

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about...Any cheap white silicone dressing like Armor-All, Son Of A Gun, or whatever's on sale. I use Auto Magic's Super Dress-it, just because I still have some left. Not sure what I'll try once it's gone.

Cool thanks Mike.
thumbsup.gif

WD40 is a dirt magnet,the diluted water base stuff used on "Tote the Note" lots is worthy of the item its used on.
CD2 offers longevity without the residual negatives.
Dont get me wrong,I'm a firm consumer of the 303 products,but the CD2 E/D has easily out gunned 303 and other allegedly Superior products designed for this application.
Its pretty well long gone from retail stores,but can be found thru on-line vendors pretty easily.

SS/LS

I just use Armorall spray on tire foam. Just spray everything under the hood and leave it. This pic was taken two days after I did mine. Car has over 70,000 miles on it. It'll stay looking this good for a couple of months.

r_arm_tf20oz_0706.jpg

under_hood.jpg

Quote:

G-Man yea i do that too use tire foam, but it leaves allot
grease on the plastic that grabs dirt and dust.
frown.gif

Not in my experience. Once it dries it seems to repel dirt and dust. Like I said, mine stays looking good for a couple of months.

That's the problem I was having with silicone dressings is that they either didn't dry at all, or took forever to dry. Thinning them out with water really worked well...They dry without being greasy, and look great.

I spray wash the engine, sponge up pooled water, and use 303. My opinion frequent washing (even under the vehicle) is important. Don't need much dressing on a clean engine.

I've used WD40 for years and have gotten great results. Never any issues, you just can't spray it on to thick it needs to be wiped around. Like another member mentioned it does a nice job on the wheel wells.
.2 worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back