End Viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I have a Chrysler 300S now that requires 5w20, although I'm putting 0w20 in it. Anyway I have a ton of PUUP 5w30 left from when I had my Cruze, and was wondering what I could do to thin it out to make it into the specified grade, or if even I should consider it at all? I have probably 20qts of the stuff but nothing in my fleet requires it anymore. What say you.

Originally Posted by JHogan
Hey everyone. I have a Chrysler 300S now that requires 5w20, although I'm putting 0w20 in it. Anyway I have a ton of PUUP 5w30 left from when I had my Cruze, and was wondering what I could do to thin it out to make it into the specified grade, or if even I should consider it at all? I have probably 20qts of the stuff but nothing in my fleet requires it anymore. What say you.

I'd run the 5W-30 in summer (unless you have a manufacturer warranty)...

Mix your 5W20 1:1 with the 5W30 to get a high 20 grade-low 30 grade.

I would not mix a 0W16 1:1 because it will bring your viscosity down lower than what you want it to be.

Last edited:
What engine?

At 10.3 cSt @ 100°C it is in the low-to-mid range 30 grade but it shouldn't be a problem for either a Pentastar (after mild fuel dilution) or Hemi but if you are queasy go 50/50 or 75(30 grade)/25(20 grade).

I would just use the 5-30 to keep it simple. No worries here. I exclusively use 5-30 in all of my engines that call for 5-20 and have done so for years.

Like others said, the 5w-30 PUP is a thin 30, no worries there unless it could interfere with your warranty. Otherwise you're fine with the 5w-30.

Originally Posted by walterjay
I would just use the 5-30 to keep it simple. No worries here. I exclusively use 5-30 in all of my engines that call for 5-20 and have done so for years.

^^yup^^ 5/30 for me too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back